Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How are the new S /W model 67s

Boolit Master

How are the new S /W model 67s

I have been looking for a good used model 15 or a 67 this summer , but have not found one that was in decent shape that did not come close to the price of the new model 67 or within a couple hundred dollars of it . I am trying to be patient as I am looking for a fun shooting 38 . So my question is hang on looking for a nice gentle used one or consider a new model 67 ? Are the new ones as smooth and as good a shooter , or should I just hold on until I find one used but not abused ?

Boolit Master

Don't overlook a good used Model 19/Model 66 or K38/Model 14 revolver. That should give you a few more options when looking for that good shooting K Frame Smith.

I personally prefer a Model 19 for a 4" revolver as its heavy barrel and shrouded ejector add weight out front that makes shooting off hand easier as well as attenuating the already light recoiling 38 Special. 38 Specials fired in a 357 charge hole don't seem to lose any accuracy either.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master
    I will be looking on as well. I was leering at one of the new-series S&W Model 64s x 4" online yesterday. I almost pulled the trigger, too. I surely wish S&W would re-issue the Model 13/65 in 3" in their Classic Series. I had use of an FBI-owned Model 13 x 3" for some months, and it was a VERY NICE CCW arm.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Got a used Model 67 a few years back. I like it.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Keep looking. They are out there. And worth the search!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I turned away from a 67-3 last week; only thing wrong was it had pachmyr grips. I simply didn't need another 4" 38 Special, even that one. Asking was $399.99

Banned
    I'm going to add another vote in the "Keep Looking For a Used model 15/67".

There are plenty of good (some outstanding) K-frames out there.

I will not disparage the new S&W revolvers other than to say I think they're overpriced.

I'm a used gun guy and have found many fine guns over the years. New gun sales are often driven by impulsive buyers that cannot wait for the gun they really want.
    Slow down, take your time and get what you want.

They are out there, so I'd wait until you get what you want. I picked up a sweet 15-1 last summer for a lot less than a new one, and it was in better shape than the GB listed said it was. So nice, it's one of the few that will see only limited range time, and occasional leather lined holster wear around the farm. The original diamond magnas look perfect with a Tyler T.

Banned
    I'm going to share the gun buyers guide here:

Step One - Define EXACTLY what you are seeking.

Step Two - Research that EXACT gun. Learn what they go for. Learn the problems and what to look for. Learn everything you can about it.

Step Three - Decide what you are willing to pay for that EXACT gun (not something close or what will do). Collect that amount of cash and put it in your wallet.

Step Four - Seek out that exact gun and accept NO other guns. When you find that exact gun that is acceptable to you and within your price range - BUY IT !

RULES: NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, settle for something that is almost what you want or close enough to what you are looking for.

If you do this, you will never regret spending the money.

Boolit Master
    I suppose I will play the wait and keep looking game , I have set aside the funds as well as clearing the purchase with my little darling , so I will just keep looking until the right one comes along . I have time in the off season to ride around and check out some gun shop's , pawn shops as well as online so the right one will show up in time . If I were confident the new ones were put together as well I would order a new one , but I have been disappointed with some new manufactured firearms lately .

Boolit Master

If face to face gun sales are legal in your area keep an eye on Backpage gun ads. I've accumulated several S&W revolvers from young guys that inherited dad or granpa's revolvers. The young guys just have to have the latest plastic fantastic hi-cap pistol. Best deal I got was a S&W Model 58 (41 Mag) with a very nice leather holster for an older FN plastic 9MM. I waxed and shined up the slide and used Armor All on the plastic and he just had to have it. Also got a Model 10 police trade-in DAO for a HiPoint 45, Model 66 for a Canick 9MM and a for a Chinese Tokarov and 50 bucks got me a Model 15.

Be patient and if you see a deal on a wonder 9 grab it then list it for a trade. I list autos on Backpage as trade for anything that says Smith and Wesson on it. Friend of mine got and beat me to a Model 19 for a Taurus 45, don't recall the Taurus' model number.

The young generation think of revolvers as out of date and old fashion. They often refer to any revolver as a cowboy gun.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    A modest adjustment to those rules needs to be made.

You must decide upon how much wear and tear you are willing to accept and at each price range. You may see dozens of guns that sold for 300$ in 90% NRA condition or better, but you must NEVER expect to get a gun that EVERYONE wants to buy, at a price less then current MSRP>

Meaning that if you want to purchase a good usable gun in 80% condition, you must be prepared to pay full current list price for it. BUT that if you have a mint condition un used example in the original shipping box, don't expect more then what it would take to buy a new set of grips for it when you want to sell it.
    True, and good point.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    I suppose I will play the wait and keep looking game , I have set aside the funds as well as clearing the purchase with my little darling , so I will just keep looking until the right one comes along . I have time in the off season to ride around and check out some gun shop's , pawn shops as well as online so the right one will show up in time . If I were confident the new ones were put together as well I would order a new one , but I have been disappointed with some new manufactured firearms lately .

I picked up a model 10 that had a well worn finish (I'd put it at 85%) but is just as tight as the day it was made. It was a "carried a lot, shot a little" gun. It was in a display case at a gun shop that catered to the tactical crowd and was priced very fairly. I looked it over for a minute or two, did some brief negotiating and tried to maintain my poker face while I paid for it. If you have the money in your pocket and are not in a hurry, you'll do just fine.

As for the new ones, time will tell if they are good guns. I don't own a new S&W with the internal lock but it wouldn't be a deal breaker. MIM parts don't scare me and the new two piece barrels are a sound concept (a la Dan Wesson). However, I don't think a new S&W revolver is worth upwards of $700.

Boolit Master
    I would be very happy with a well wore model 15 that was in good shape mechanically , and I don't mind having a little work done on it . I see a lot on gun broker , but a lot get relisted over and over , I'm not knocking the seller for their price but at a point the new ones comes into my mind . Time will tell how this turns out I guess .

Boolit Grand Master
    The newest S&W revolver in my safe dates from about 1990, a 4" 686 that is a JEWEL. Yes, it gets shot A LOT. Dimensionally perfect, .004" cylinder/cone gap. It BEGS for a range day or hunting trip. The lure for the Model 64 involves my past career experience, as I had a Model 64 issued to me for a time and it did some good work for me on a desert evening in 1981. I just wanted to get some impressions from actual users of these late-series S&W rollerguns before committing to a purchase. "Need" has nothing to do with it, and hasn't for a long time.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Buddy
    toallmy,

Depends on your definition of smooth. I have a 686 and a 586 that have had their triggers worked on at the S&W Performance Center. I also have a Model 67-5 that was purchased in lightly used condition. Compared to the Performance Center triggers, the double action trigger pull on the 67 was heavy and somewhat rough when I got it but a set of Wolff springs and a lot of double action shooting have gone a long way toward improving the trigger. It is now very good but still not up to Performance Center standards. If I had the opportunity to buy another gun just like it at the same price I would not hesitate to do so.

I also have a new production Model 66-8 and, other than being a few ounces heavier and chambered in .357, it is as good as the Model 67-5 but it also arrived with a heavy, somewhat rough trigger.

I don't think you are going to find a truly smooth double action trigger, even on a used gun, unless you get lucky and find one that has been worked on. I have purchased three new and five used S&W revolvers in the last two years and none of them were really smooth but they were all serviceable and got better with a set of springs and use.

Gus Youmans
    Last edited by Gus Youmans; 09-15-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    My S&W triggers get a lot better after a trip to BC Armory, lol.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    I will be looking on as well. I was leering at one of the new-series S&W Model 64s x 4" online yesterday. I almost pulled the trigger, too. I surely wish S&W would re-issue the Model 13/65 in 3" in their Classic Series. I had use of an FBI-owned Model 13 x 3" for some months, and it was a VERY NICE CCW arm.
    The 3" Model 65 (or blued steel 13) with a RB is a great gun.

Attachment 204142

One of the few good ideas to come out of the FBI

Boolit Grand Master
    Perfect. I put Pach Compacs on my borrowed boomer, just like the M-10 x 2" had. The armorer who loaned the weapon out to me got the grip set as a "Thank you" for its use, and he loved them.

Yes--the FBI's mindset can be a bit uneven. If a field agent can be isolated away from Beltway Bullsquat and Academy GroupThink, they can be superb cops. Once they start rising in rank and occupying the cubicle farms and rarified air of upper admin, the oxygen-depleted atmospheres at such lofty heights initiates brain death among many of its denizens. Not unlike my own shop, and most others. The Peter Principle is alive and well.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The 3" Model 65 (or blued steel 13) with a RB is a great gun.

Attachment 204142

One of the few good ideas to come out of the FBI
    I have a French surplus M-10 with the oddball 3 inch barrel. Mine however is a square butt with original wood grips. Despite some holster wear and some light surface rust on the top grip frame. It showed very little use, the gas cutting was nearly non existent. My guess, some French policeman often rested his hand on the grip with it holstered creating the light surface rust.

I got it years ago from J&G for under 200. I live close enough to J&G that I made the 90 minute each way drive, got to cherry pick the best from three and didn't have to shoot dice having one shipped to my FFL dealer. At the time money was a bit tight, had to sneak it in and I walked away from the surplus 5 inch Model 15's they were also selling at the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast