Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Question About the Quickload Software

Boolit Master

Question About the Quickload Software

It appears that this is a good software program for a swaged bullet load. How much benefit is the software to a boolit caster? Will it have input data on the different models available to a shooter as it has information on swaged bullets? Would like to try the software but I am trying to find the justification to buy it? Anyone using it for cast loads and can share their thoughts?

Boolit Master

its a good program that is a great tool when used wisely and safely. It is extremely expensive and very basic looking but a great utility. I use it as tool to get pressures around what the BHN of the boolit can handle. Then work up safely. it can show you barrel times if you believe in that. You can use approved recipes and play with it to see where you want to start. If you are adventurous and knowledgeable you can use it on new and or different powders and estimate about where to start. Like any other tool it has proven its self and it has also failed me. I basicly use it to see where I want to start in a load development. Then center my testing around the estimated "perfect Load" for all the science rules of thumbs. Then start low and go over to see what the gun really likes.

There are tons of youtube tutorials as well to help teach you and guide you.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

"You can use approved recipes and play with it to see where you want to start."

Do these recipes include loads for lead Boolits?

Boolit Master
    Yes, QL does have cast bullet data - many of the Lee, Lyman, etc molds are included. A GREAT program to fool around with.

Boolit Grand Master

You can create bullet files for each one of your molds. I've done this for every MP and NOE mold I own. The nice thing is you can change the size and weight as you change alloys or sizing dies. The other bullet dimensions and and BC don't change so once the file is created you don't have to change them again.

QL is great for going off book w/ bottle neck cases. It's predictions for straight wall pistol cases can be erratic. And it lacks a lot of powders. But it's great for what it is. The cost is minimal IMO.

Vendor Sponsor

I used it to develop +P loads for 45 Schofield to be used in a medium frame Ruger Vaquero, often the velocity wasn't anywhere near what the chrony said it was, but I think the pressure data was pretty reliable which imo is the important thing you want to stay on the safe side of. For the cost of the program, it's invaluable if you think of it as insurance against an over pressure event.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    +1 on being a great tool, but I respectfully take exception to calling it "extremely expensive" - it paid for itself on my very first 'way out there' reloading project. And everything after that has been gravy.
    The alternatives are either extremely expensive data collection equipment, or a series of very steep & treacherous learning curves. The usefulness of its modeling preductions can be little short of miraculous when 'flying blind', and is a great value which no other ~$150 can provide.

I have found it particularly useful for developing accurate reduced or subsonic loads w/ faster-burning powders in bottleneck cartridges - something that the mainstream reloading manuals simply do not cover. However, I very much respect its stated limitation of providing less accurate predictions w/ straight wall cases (which the QL manual details & explains).
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 08-14-2017 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Clarification

Boolit Master

I think I am just about sold on get a copy of the software.