Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Need solution to keep lube from BB Boolits

Boolit Mold

Need solution to keep lube from BB Boolits

I have 3 molds that make really nice bevel base boolits. I have tried putting an egg carton disk under the boolits when sizing. Doesn't work for me. The extra lube just makes for a mess and extra smoke when fired.

Here's what I'd like to have made for me. I'd like a new "plug" that is the inside insert of the sizer die and have the top of it machined so the bevel base fits down inside that plug. Has anyone tried that and did it work?

Is there a machinist out there that would make me 3-4 plugs in 401, 452, and 358 for me with the corresponding bevel? I can supply the boolits for a template of how the bevel is formed.

ADMIN

Might want to mention what sizer you are using?

I use a star and for the most part my BB bases are clean.

I have since switched to coating so no more lube for me

Boolit Grand Master

Get a Star and it's not an issue. I have four RCBS LAM 1s. I don't even think about using them w/ bevel base bullets. There's a better mouse trap and it's called a Star.

Boolit Mold
    I have both a Saeco and an RCBS luber/sizers. other than a difference in length, the "plug should fit either one. Thanks for the tip on buying a Star. I wish I had known about them a long time ago and where to buy one. I do understand it's a better mousetrap, just can't justify spending the money. Of course I could sell what I have to buy the Star. I may look into it. Thanks but for now, I'll see if I can get a machinist to make me some new plugs.

Boolit Grand Master

Be sure and check that the depth is set properly. I have two BB designs and getting the lube die hole positioned above the base in exactly the right spot is a pain... trial and error is my unscientific method,
    but once you get it "just right" the lubed base is no more a problem than with a flat base.
    Also very critical is pressure , just enough to fill the lube groove any more and it will go someplace usually the bevel base. Depth adjustment / hole alignment and pressure applied will usually do pretty well to keeping the base mostly clean. I usually get it when I put on too much pressure.
    Lyman 450
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    If the egg carton trick doesn't work for you, you are using either too much pressure, too much heat, or you are setting the depth incorrectly to where the BB aligns with the lube hole at the bottom of your stroke. It will work fine if you get all of the above things set correctly.
    I also recommend the Star if possible. It completely eliminates worries about the base.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Mold
    Good tips. I do max out the pressure so I'll back off on that. I use heated lube and have a supply of Rooster Red pigeon-holed in my garage. I'll play with the depth adjustment and back off the pressure. I'm in the habit of cranking until I can't crank, then running about 10-12 boolits until I see the groove not filled completely. Thanks!

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Yes, that's definitely too much pressure, especially for BB boolits. You are overwhelming the compression tolerance of the Styrofoam with that. I usually lower a boolit and add a little pressure, then raise it and see if filled, if not, repeat until that one is filled, then put a fresh one in and lower it and turn the wrench just a bit more and raise and check it..... you'll develop a feel for how much to turn the wrench and then you just add a little bit of a turn every time you send one down and it'll become second nature to you to reach up and turn it slightly for every boolit or two. Good luck!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master

And even doing it that way you will have to replace the styrofoam about every 50-100 boolits. It does compress.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AKThom View Post
    Good tips. I do max out the pressure so I'll back off on that. I use heated lube and have a supply of Rooster Red pigeon-holed in my garage. I'll play with the depth adjustment and back off the pressure. I'm in the habit of cranking until I can't crank, then running about 10-12 boolits until I see the groove not filled completely. Thanks!
    That's a big contributing facto , just enough pressure to fill the groove , it doesn't have to be 100% full either...95% will do the job. Just apply enough pressure to lube 1 - 3 boolits , any more than that and it's going to fill the bevel .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

I had an idea that using an "O" ring in place of the egg carton material would work but I have not found the correct size "O" ring yet. I'm not done looking, but I did buy a flat base mold that will most likely replace the BB mold in question.

I only run enough pressure in my 450 to fill the groove in one bullet before having to give it another crank. A ratchet or speed wrench makes this easier.