RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Midland Gun Co

Boolit Bub

Midland Gun Co

I have a .270W midland gun co bolt action rifle. I am looking for a bolt for it as the ejection lugs are broke off the bolt body. Seems to be a Mauser 98 action with the side safty. Has BNP and crown stamp on barrel and importer Jana denver col. any info on a replacement bolt would be most helpful. This was my late mothers gun and would like to teach(and pass it on to) my daughter to hunt with when she is old enough. Thanks Kelly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NCM_0042.jpg   NCM_0041.jpg   NCM_0040.jpg   NCM_0039.jpg   NCM_0038.jpg  

NCM_0037.jpg  
    Last edited by foxhole; 08-12-2017 at 11:55 PM.
    _ROGER THAT_

Boolit Master
    Let's see a picture of the bolt you have.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Looks Mauser to me, going to be some work involved. Confirm 98 and then find body, confirm headspace then transfer handle and attach or do new, maybe find one already done (see headspace check above). Bolts can be had here and there but if you cannot do work probably looking at a couple bills to roll into end zone. The first thing I would do is confirm action make/model (what it started life as) being starting point. Then on with the hunt, might be a fun project of procurement to completion being an educational exercise with the daughter finding, fixing, firing!

Weren't they assembled by Parker Hale on Santa Barbara actions? I do remember a hybrid "Spauser" they offered thru Navy Arms but I've never seen one in the flesh.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Weren't they assembled by Parker Hale on Santa Barbara actions? I do remember a hybrid "Spauser" they offered thru Navy Arms but I've never seen one in the flesh.
    Parker Hale bought Midland in the 60's. This could pre-date that. It is a Mauser action but still need to see a pic to tell what is wrong here.

Ah! I see he's added pics up at the top.

This is what you need.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/681787929

A gunsmith can take the required parts from a bolt like this and fit to your rifle. Headspace will likely need to be adjusted. However, don't buy a bolt from gunbroker prior to discussing this with a competent gunsmith. Also, you will need to obtain some critical dimensions from the seller prior to purchase.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 08-13-2017 at 11:26 AM.
    USMC 6638

I've never heard of any portion of a Mauser bolt referred to as "ejection lug".

Mauser bolts have 2 locking lugs at the front & M98's have a 3rd "safety" lug back near the bolt handle stem.

In those pics, that FN Mauser (type) bolt looks normal to me - exactly what are you talking about ?

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Pietro look at the bolt face of the bolt in the link I provided and compare to his.
    USMC 6638

Banned
    Perhaps, he should take it to a gunsmith and have it looked at ? Clear he is a novice where type 98 Mauser actions are concerned.

It appears the lower "tit" on the extractor guide is missing. It might (?) impede function but is not a safety issue nor is it a "lug".

This is what it should look like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mauser_bolt_face_1.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	201806

Given that I just bought this for $535 TMD (no salt Safari 30-06), I would not bother with a cobbeled up 98 sporter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fn3.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	201808
    Last edited by Eldon; 08-13-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    Might even be able to build up that tit with weld and reshape it. I'd just try it and see how it works without it.

Boolit Master

Wonder how it broke? Perhaps it was dropped? Perhaps it is an indicator that the metal or the heat treatment of the bolt is defective. If so, it's probably a good idea to replace the bolt.

If you do replace the bolt, have it checked with headspace gauges to see if the fit of a standard case to your chamber with the new bolt is correct.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

in Remebrance
    My info is that Midland Gun made a bunch of receivers to use up a large pile of surplus M98 and Springfield bolts. I have one with a Springfield bolt, already D&T. Nearly as I can tell from pics there is nothing wrong with your M98 bolt. The ejector is a flat piece of metal backed by a flat spring found on the left rear of the receiver. Check this and let us know what you find. GW

Incidentally mine uses a Mauser trigger and bottom metal. I would not recommend using these receivers for anything more that '06 or .270 and no "hot" loads as too little is known about these receivers. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Master
    I would just make or get a few dummy rounds. Then see how the dummy rounds work in the action. If it feeds loads and extracts OK then there is nothing to do. If it is that small piece broken off of the bolt face edge then it should not be a issue. It is not a safety issue. The problem would be if any of the locking lugs are broken, then that bolt would need replacing.

Banned
    A mauser receiver with an 03 bolt is a disaster waiting to happen.

Junk it !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
    A mauser receiver with an 03 bolt is a disaster waiting to happen.

Junk it !
    How did you come up with that idea. The action is a Santa Barbara commercial mauser.
    USMC 6638

in Remebrance
    Eldon, FWIW, a '98 receiver will not accept an '03 Springfield bolt as the third lug won't pass under the rear bridge. This one is factory marked M98/03 made by Midland and imported by Federal Ordinance in El Monte, Ca. As I said, they made receivers to use up a pile of Mauser and Springfield bolts. GW

The OP's receiver has a Mauser bolt.
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by Goatwhiskers View Post
    Eldon, FWIW, a '98 receiver will not accept an '03 Springfield bolt as the third lug won't pass under the rear bridge. This one is factory marked M98/03 made by Midland and imported by Federal Ordinance in El Monte, Ca. As I said, they made receivers to use up a pile of Mauser and Springfield bolts. GW

The OP's receiver has a Mauser bolt.
    These are the "Spausers" I read about and saw the ads in SGN. The OP'S bolt does seem to be regular 98 but the pics are not the best. It's hard to tell exactly what's wrong with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub

gun feeds and fires fine, wont eject spent round. You have to tip the gun upside down and shake it to and fro to get the spent shell out.
    _ROGER THAT_

Boolit Master
    Is the ejector itself missing? It is the part that passes through the slot.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master

More clearly, the ejector is a stationary steel piece mounted on the action. As the bolt is withdrawn it passes through the slot in the bolt and kicks the case out. If it is not there it would be difficult to envision.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by foxhole View Post
    gun feeds and fires fine, wont eject spent round. You have to tip the gun upside down and shake it to and fro to get the spent shell out.

This is the ejector mechanism - the bolt release & EJ spring surrounds the EJ blade, all located on the outside left side of the (rear) receiver bridge.

The assembly's removable via unscrewing the bolt release pivot screw.

Replacement parts are available from just about any online Mauser 98 parts vendor.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast