Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon primer filler...worth it?

Boolit Master

Dillon primer filler...worth it?

So I bit, and tried the Hornady vibe primer tube filler and...it's not the greatest product Hornady ever made. In fact, it kinda sorta sux...so I'm out a few bucks, not too many. It was on sale.

If I were to jump off the Dillon RF-100 primer filler gizmo cliff to the tune of $406.39 with the conversion kit to sm or lg and shipping, would I be happy or just $406.39 poorer?

I guess I shouldn't be so sarcastic...I would just like to know if those of you who have these are happy with them....

I wish I could develop the technique to make the Hornady work.
    [

I dunno. I hate filling primer tubes to the point that I still use my Lee Auto Prime. I think it's faster to just dump those primers in the tray, get them oriented, and start priming than it is to stand there and fill tubes for the press.

I don't have a problem paying decent money for products that save time, but I think I'd have a hard time paying that much for one even if it worked perfectly.

Boolit Master

I have not found one that works right for a fair price.

Boolit Master

I have been happy with my Frankford arsenal for the last 20 years. I only load a few thousand a year, but there is a technique to using it. You just have to angle the tray so that there are only a few primers competing with dropping in the tube. If you tilt the whole thing forward, it doesnt feed too well. But if you tilt it to the side and allow the primers to vibrate toward the feed corner, I can load a 100 primers in a tube in just about 30 seconds or so. Anyway, the hornady looks like it operates on the same concept. Give it another try, just don't tilt it too much toward the feed corner and let the primers flow there as they vibrate. Might make all the difference in the world for you.

Boolit Mold
    I own a Dillon RF100 primer tube filler. It works great. I also purchased a Hornaday primer filler (looks like a 1911 grip). It was a piece of junk. I like the Dillon so much I plan to buy a 2nd for the other primer size. I did purchase a small primer change kit for my RF100 and it works but it takes a little bit to tweak the set-up. There are a couple of settings to understand they affect the reliability. One is the vibration amount controlled by a rheostat near the on/off switch. The other adjustment is the final "guide" the primers pass through before they drop into the tube. When doing large primers, it takes a minute for the RF100 to drop all 100 primers in the tube. I think I've had one primer get in upside down out of 10,000 loaded. That could've happened though at the point when the primer drops into the cup of the primer seater. I hope this helps.

Boolit Master
    My '45' looking filler works very well... There is a certain angle fore and aft and a certain angle side to side that must be right. I put all 100 primers in the holder but try to load in 'strings' of 10 or so. I don't use the included Hornady tubes but some others I had. At certain points I use a 'cadence' of finger drumming to assist the flow.

I also use my 'cricket' tool to 'chamfer' the edges.

Normally 100 primers in way under a minute...

I hope this helps...

Boolit Buddy
    I have Dillon primer (small + large conversion). So far I've tried it with CCI, Winchester, S&B. Works fine.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Bair/Pacific Primer Tube Filler, came with a 1970's era Pacific press and it works no better than your new Hornady. I keep it because it goes with the press, case trimmer, dies and several other tools that are all Bair/Pacific and all look to be purchased at the same time.
    By this time you would have thought they would have perfected one !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned
    I guess I am cheap in certain areas and one is a automatic primer feed. I would sooner fill my tube the same way I have for many years. I keep an old Lee hand primer unit that I bought 30+ years ago and I simply dump the primers inside the lee primer holder and put the cover on an turn it over and then simply fill the primer tube. I found that a package of Dillon primer tubes was cheaper than purchasing an automatic filler. It may take 5 minutes to fill a few tubes and it frees up $400+ dollars.

Boolit Master
    I'm starting to get the hang of the Hornady tool...it's not great but I no longer hate it. I've also passed the point where I'm faster using it than playing poke the primer.
    [

Banned

I bought one years ago and am a big Dillon cheerleader. That said the primer filler was very unreliable. I fought it for a few months and ended up sending it back for a refund. The 30 dollar FA primer tube filler works just as good if not better. Only down side was that the Dillon would fill while your loading and the FA unit requires a human to run it. I tried all the Dillon fixes for this filler. Sitting it on a rubber mat. Putting an adjustable rheostat in it to control the speed but no matter what I did I had to baby sit it constantly or it would goof up

The first filler I had was the old FA vibra prime. They discontinued them and folks were paying stupid prices for them, so I sold the one I had and bought a Dillon. Once set just right, it's very nice. Dump primers in, hit the button and go back to loading. Around 20 rounds into the 100 I'm loading, the unit shuts off full.

Well, they reintroduced the VP awhile back, and put them on sale for $25 a few times a year it seems and remembering what I sold my last one for, I picked up a couple more.

You can't just dump them in and hit the button but it doesn't take much technique to get them to work. Play with the angles you hold it to the side and back at and if the primers bridge, give it a little flick, like you would a fishing pole, using a popper lure.

Boolit Master

I have one of each of the dillons
    I like them and don't have flipped primer problems
    probably the 'new toy' factor was a big part in getting them but don't regret the purchases.
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

I bought a Frankford Arsenal one to try. I took the plastic tips off, and put the ones off my large and small Dillon tubes on, and fill directly into my 650's primer tube. So far, so good. Amazon currently has them offered at $35.99.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought the Hornady 45 after reading the reviews, makes you wonder how something can be either great or totally useless. I thought what the h##l ill try it, works great for me.
    That being said no you cant just pull the trigger and not pay attention to what your doing, once you get the hang of how to hold it and angle to allow primers to glide in to the tubes it works fine. Beats stabbing primers 1 at a time any day of the week. Tip load a bunch of tubes at a time, you get a feel for it once you get going.

Boolit Master

Loaded 100 primers into the tube last night with the FA. 22 seconds to get all 100 in the tube. Winchester Large pistol.

Have two dillons. Love them. Occasional jam but rare and I hate filling tubes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the rf100. It works fine. I have tried the FA and the Hornady units and they worked OK with small primers, but could not get them to work with large. I also have one that is called the PAL primer tube filler. It works the best. The place I bought it from no longer sells them, but they have a Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/PalFiller/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    I have been happy with my Frankford arsenal for the last 20 years. I only load a few thousand a year, but there is a technique to using it. You just have to angle the tray so that there are only a few primers competing with dropping in the tube. If you tilt the whole thing forward, it doesnt feed too well. But if you tilt it to the side and allow the primers to vibrate toward the feed corner, I can load a 100 primers in a tube in just about 30 seconds or so. Anyway, the hornady looks like it operates on the same concept. Give it another try, just don't tilt it too much toward the feed corner and let the primers flow there as they vibrate. Might make all the difference in the world for you.
    I too have had great success with the FA. Fast and reliable, cheaper by far!

Banned

me too. A little learned technique and it loads as fast as the Dillon and does it more reliably and at a 1/10 the price. I sure haven't used everyones dillion here but had one and my buddy still has two and none of those worked well enough to justify over 300 bucks. Wish it would have. Nice thing about them is you can load tubes while your doing something else. Id have gladly paid 500 bucks if the thing was reliable!
    Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    I too have had great success with the FA. Fast and reliable, cheaper by far!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast