RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: Ruger Precisio. Rifle for Highpower match gun

Boolit Master

Ruger Precisio. Rifle for Highpower match gun

I would like to know if the Ruger Precision would be legal for Highpower Match rifle.

Here is the story. I bought a RPR and before i shot it replaced the barrel with a high end 26" 308 barrel. I have only shot it about 30 rds. I ended up not having a scope for this rifle (long story).

Now im in a position where in not intrested in spending the big money for a nice scope.

I would be intrested in putting good sights on it, If it would be legal for Highpower. Im not going to be a serious Highpower shooter. I would enjoying practicing with the rifle. Sights are 600 new soI would want the rifle to have a purpose.

Im considering selling it if this is not workable. With the money i have tied up in it and the cost of buying a scope i would be happer with something different.

Boolit Master

It would be legal for the NRA match rifle class with no issues that I can see.

To make it work in this class, you'll need:

1. Good aperture rear sight such as the Redfield Palma or International or other brands. 1/4 MOA adjustments (depending on sight radius) is enough. Some of the European sights are now using 1/10 of a mill adjustments which equates to about 1/3 MOA per click. A base to mount the sight to the rifle will be required too.
    2. A good front sight at the end of the barrel for maximum sight radius. Again, I'm most familiar with the Redfield product, but I also use a Mid Tompkins front sight on one of my rifles. The sight should be capable of using various apertures or posts depending on the light conditions or your preference. Depending on the diameter of your barrel's muzzle, a slip on mount should work or you can have the muzzle turned down for one of the standard diameter mounts.
    3. A good, heavy duty sling swivel attachment for the front handguard for at least a 1" sling and preferable a 1 1/4" width. You won't need a rear swivel as there is no requirement for the rear to attach to the rifle as in the service rifle rules.
    4. A second magazine as you need to reload once during the 10 shot rapid fire stages.

Check the websights of Champion's Choice or Creedmoor Armory for the various accessories for the rifle. They make a good living selling to match shooters and probably have most of what you need. The Redfield sights (my preference) are no longer made but are seen at gun shows and probably at E-bay or the like.

You can get the 2016 rule book for NRA HP here:

http://competitions.nra.org/document...R/hpr-book.pdf

Hope that's of some help. I really enjoy the NM course of fire as it tests a marksman's accuracy from standing, sitting and prone, rapid fire and slow fire in all kinds of weather conditions.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 08-12-2017 at 12:17 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Why not sell the RPR and shoot your 7-08 in that match? It's already set up for it with proper sights.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Selling the RPR is an option. I may have to take more of a loss than im willing to. I really didnt give the 7-08 a fair chance. I loaded some cast bullets with trail boss and accuracy was no good. I need to try some unique for reduced loads at 50yds. I have nodoubt it will shoot full power jacketed well. I just dont want to feed it a steady diet of high dollar ammo. Im cheap!

I was looking at a set of Phoenix Precision sights. They are about 600 for the set. I can handle that. No permenat change to the rifle. Later on I could put a scope on it if I wanted to shoot long range. I just see me taking it to the range more if I can practice at short range off hand with lead bullets.

I have really over spent on gun related stuff this year. I dont want to lay out 2500 for a nice scope. Just looking at options to keep it before i put it up for sale.

To be honest the RPR and the 7-08 were both mistakes. I have too much tied up in these guns im not shooting. I did the RPR in the wrong caliber. To make it worse if I was going to do a 308 it should have been in a short barrel for a tatical rifle. I went 26" to keep it super sonic at 1000yds. Looking back i would have gone a different route. To salvage the bad decisions turning it into a highpower match rifle would allow me to practice with a lead bullet and shoot good bullets in competition. Im more intrested in practice than matches. I would like to make one or two matches a year to give me some purpose and goals.
    Last edited by GARD72977; 08-12-2017 at 09:54 PM.

Boolit Master

There is a new optical class for NRA Highpower Matches now.
    http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/p...rul_hpr_17.pdf
    read the underlined section of the 2017 Rules update on the use of scopes during the match.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    The Redfield sights on that rifle are as good as you need for what you want to do. There is no need to buy new ones (especially for $600.00). Just shoot it as is. I'm pretty certain that you will enjoy it. As for the 26 inch barrel on the RPR, I see nothing wrong with that either. If you want to shoot F class, for example, put a Weaver T36 on it and go shoot. Midway sells them for about $450.00 last I checked. For a .308 load try 41.0 grs AR Comp with a 168 SMK and BR2 primers. 2.8" length. This will give you about 2685 fps. In either case I think you need to give each rifle a little more time.

For the 7-08, size your bullets at .285 and load 10 grs of Unique. Don't you have the RCBS 145 silhouette mold?
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    I sold the molds when I had decided to get rid of the rifle.
    I think i will try a mold with 2 lube groves.

Boolit Master
    I was looking for sights for the RPR notthe Smith Corona
    Last edited by GARD72977; 08-13-2017 at 05:34 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

The right sight set up can make or break you. I used a warner rear on a custom mount rail I made this had an elevation adjustment to keep the sights slides as engaged as possible. I also used an ladder front sight for rough adjustments from 300yds-600 yds. I believe the ladder was a rra but not sure. I did make a couple also. For the front sight a clamp on mount is perferable to drilling and tapping or cutting a dovetail. This clamps around the barrel at the muzzle and has the dovetail for the front sight on it. The ladders are clamp mount usually. The rifle itself should be good to go with little modifications needed, Possibly a little tuning on the trigger, and possibly a little work to the mag release. Sinclairs carried the centra line of rear sights that mounted to rimfire, weaver dovetails with no blocks or parts needed.