RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee metal powder scoops

Boolit Master

Lee metal powder scoops

Does anyone have a chart or list of the old Lee metal powder scoops and the powder vm or caliber listed? I am getting interested in these old scoops and need as much info as I can get on them. If you have Lee Loaders in shotgun, rifle, or pistol calibers with metal scoops, please pm me with the caliber info and scoop number. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks in advance, james

Boolit Grand Master

Metal scoops/dippers pre-dates me, I started with a Lee Loader in '69 and the kit had a plastic dipper. There's a lot of knowledgeable Lee fans here; http://www.lee-loader.com/index.php?...155832694fa14f
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Thank you very much mdl, I did not know about that site. james

Boolit Buddy
    I've never seen the lee with metal scoops, and I started
    loading in 1964.

Metal dippers would have cost more to make, and lee

makes everything as inexpensive as possible.

I never knew such a thing existed.

Can you show us some pictures?

Boolit Master

Sorry, I cannot do pictures, I am electronically challenged. I have a 30-06 Target loader with the metal measure, a regular 30-06 set with a metal measure, a 30-30 set with a metal measure, and a 16 gauge with a metal measure. I did have a 8x57 with a metal measure, a .38 Special with the metal measure and a .30 M1 carbine with a metal measure; all of which I sold. Wish I hadn't but that is water over the dam. james

As TNsailorman indicated, the Lee Target Loaders initially had metal powder scoops as did their shot shell loaders. You can see some pics of the latter on EBay.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I guess I recall seeing one or two in their early shot shell reloader but always figured they were form another source. Interesting and I'd love to see some photos of them. Seems like if they were Lee and the amount of loaders they sold, etc. that you'd see more of them floating around. You learn something new everyday!

Boolit Master

I loaded a box of 12 gauge shell on my Lee Loader today and it does have the metal powder and shot measures. Had a ball. I am running on memory here but I don't remember seeing any metal measures after about 1963 or 1964. I really need to learn how to do pictures and upload them. james

Boolit Grand Master

Are the metal dippers adjustable? I seem to recall some brass (bronze) scoops that were adjustable, used for powder and shot...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

The Lee Shotgun Loader came with an adjustable measure that clicked onto the weight of shot by volumn; 1 oz., 1 1/4 oz., 1 1/4 oz., etc. The powder measure was not adjustable and the st came with a chart showing what each measure threw according to type of powder. It was a neat set up. james

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    The Lee Shotgun Loader came with an adjustable measure that clicked onto the weight of shot by volumn; 1 oz., 1 1/4 oz., 1 1/4 oz., etc. The powder measure was not adjustable and the st came with a chart showing what each measure threw according to type of powder. It was a neat set up. james
    How do you get a good crimp on the shells? I couldn't get the crimps even close to flush, and #8 shot slips out.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Lee had the Al powder dippers in the first Lee loaders had a red wood handle. Never seen a set. i will post a pic later . The problem was ther was only about 3 sizes and they had lines on the outside ,so you had to guess,
    i had one in the 60s and i guess it was for Bullseye in a 38spcl I was about10yrs old . hey powder was all the same so loaded about 100 with reddot
    most made it about 10ft,some didnt make it out of barrel

Attachment 204527
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I never knew such a thing existed.
    Me neither . . .
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I have a 30-06 set with the metal dipper it is marked 12M. I think it throws about 44 grs. of 4064.
    the 12 ga. set has an adjustable dipper but the powder dipper was gone and I replaced it with yellow plastic.

It would be nice to have a set, but I've never seen one. Might not exist. I do love little odds and ends like that.

Dave

Boolit Master

CORRECTION FROM SOME WRONG INFO ON THE SCOOPS

Beemer, I just ran across your post on the Metal powder scoop for the 12 gauge. The number on the 12 gauge is 12 and the 30-06 12M. Both from 1963 sets.

UnderDawgAL, getting a good crimp on a plastic hull is very problematic unless you get one of the plastic crimp starters in the correct gauge that came in the New Improved Model shotgun loaders. OR, you can buy one of MEC's crimp starters and it will work also. Just remember you are only trying to start the crimp and do not put much pressure on the crimp starter. A good roll crimp on the old paper shells was much easier. my experience anyway, james
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 01-28-2018 at 01:15 AM.

Boolit Master

I just recently found 2 of the Lee Metal Scoops and bought them. One is for the 410 and the other is for the 20 gauge. I am still looking for a 16 gauge and a 12 gauge magnum. I am trying to dicker with a fellow right now for a 10 gauge. We are getting a little close each time we talk but I think he is just enjoying the "horse trading" more than anything right now, so I'll be patient. james

Boolit Master
    After I read your post I got my 12 ga loader out and looked at it again. It came with a metal adjustable shot measure. The picture on the instructions shows a plastic powder dipper, probably a black one. The charge sheet is missing so I don't know what size. It is in the card board box so it's an older one.

The 30-06 loader has a 12M and throws 44-45 grs of 4064, that's a good starting load but it does shoot well enough in my rifle. I used the loader to see how well it works.

I am curious about the 12M in the 12 ga set. The 12M throws about 25 grs. of Green Dot, would that not be to hot a load. That makes me wonder what powder was used. The dipper I put in my set throws 18 grs. of Green Dot. Did Lee make two sizes for the 12 ga.

Dave

Boolit Master

Beemer, I got my 12 gauge Lee Loader out and my 30-06 Lee Loader out and compared the two. The 12 gauge is marked 12 and the 30-06 is marked 12m, confusing-- right. I put the two side by side and the 12m(30-06 is slightly taller than the 12(12 gauge). I compared the bottoms for diameter and the 12m is also a very slightly larger in diameter than the 12. So, the two cannot be used interchangeable. At least not trying to use the 12m in a green dot load. I'll so some more checking tomorrow by weighing some charges and see what the difference will be. Sorry for the confusion but I was doing something I should know better--dealing off memory. Its late and I am going to bed. I'll be back tomorrow with some data. james

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast