Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee dippers

Boolit Master

Lee dippers

I have Lee old dippers with numbers on them like 108, 141, etc.

Is there a conversion chart somewhere to show equivalent cc measure?
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master

If you write Lee, they should at least be able to provide you with a conversion.
    They are pretty good about that.

Boolit Mold
    Hiram, I have a chart on file somewhere on this thing and will PM or post it on here. I'll look around for it.
    - Stolium

Boolit Grand Master

A chart is available for download from the Lee web site:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...ct/Dippers.pdf

Boolit Buddy
    It is also in the Lee reloading manual.

Don

Boolit Master

Talking

The problem is the dippers he has is when LEE first made them he just assigned meaningless numbers to them and he states this in his book. After he restarted in business the second time he made the design that is out now with the volume in CC marked on them. I think if he contacts LEE they might be able to help him on the volume of each dipper.

Boolit Master
    Doc--

I didn't know that Lee had restarted, but the situation I have is exactly as you describe.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Buddy
    Those numbers on the red dippers are cubic inch designations (volume). The newest yellow ones are cubic centimeters
    Last edited by BudRow; 11-08-2008 at 07:51 PM. Reason: added more info

Boolit Buddy
    I use both the old red dippers and the new yellow dippers. Using the red ones often allows you to get powder weights in between the yellow dippers.
    If you use the yellow dippers, try to get a old red set to use with the yellow set.
    Gregg

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Japlmg View Post
    I use both the old red dippers and the new yellow dippers. Using the red ones often allows you to get powder weights in between the yellow dippers.
    If you use the yellow dippers, try to get a old red set to use with the yellow set.
    Gregg
    This is what I do also. Getting a conversion chart like you want really won't help you much so you might be making a vain atempt. I find that on either the yellow or red set which has a chart with them is only close to right and always seems to leave a little leway so you really have to weigh the charges anyway to get an accurate readding of what you are throwing! I even sat down and made a cheat sheet one day by measuing and weighing the powders I was using which did get me closer but I fould that the next time I used the dippers they seemed to be off a couple tents of grains so I still had to weigh the charges again. I wish Lee mad more sizes in the dippers. I really like using them but sometimes one is too light and the other is too heavy.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    This is what I do also. Getting a conversion chart like you want really won't help you much so you might be making a vain atempt. I find that on either the yellow or red set which has a chart with them is only close to right and always seems to leave a little leway so you really have to weigh the charges anyway to get an accurate readding of what you are throwing! I even sat down and made a cheat sheet one day by measuing and weighing the powders I was using which did get me closer but I fould that the next time I used the dippers they seemed to be off a couple tents of grains so I still had to weigh the charges again. I wish Lee mad more sizes in the dippers. I really like using them but sometimes one is too light and the other is too heavy.
    Buy two sets of the yellow dippers and trim the dippers in the second set to fall in between the values in the first.
    (O)(o)
    ---0000-(. .)-0000---

Boolit Grand Master

Actually what I did was put a small piece of card boarg in the bottom. The boxes had small round cut outs for the dippers and some of those fit about perfect. Plus I had the extra dippers that all come with the die sets.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Mold
    I just tilt the dipper to one side and give it a sharp shake then drop it in the digital scale to check. after a few practice toss,s I can get it to withen a few 10,s of a grain.
    The eye is pretty good at judjing the amount of tilt after a few tosses.
    once I feel comfortable I dump directly into the case,since I load my pistol ammo down for target shooting and plincking thats good enough for me.
    For serious game or target shooting the scales come out.

Boolit Bub
    I have an old set of black dippers...from the 70's. Would that fall under (I assume) the ones with the meaningless marks??

Thanks guys.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the black and red sets of dippers.
    From the red set, I use the 020 dipper for loading
    .38 spl. 110gr. rn, HP-38 for flutterby. That way she can stay
    all day if willing.

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi-data...ct/Dippers.pdf

What color dippers is this chart for?

Boolit Grand Master

cubic inches are not any more meaningless than cubic centimeters. Mine
    are black, too. Didn't know there were red ones.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by Japlmg View Post
    Gregg
    Bingo, nothing handier than having both sets of lee's when you need a box of loads in a hurry. Simple, cheap, can't screw them up. What more can ya ask for?

In Remebrance

I had the same issue. Near as I can figure it's moisture in the air. Even though I keep my powder in a warm, dry storage bin (dead refrigerator) I think the humidity and atmospheric pressure affect it. I still check my charges with a scale if they're any where near max.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

.....I wish Lee mad more sizes in the dippers. I really like using them but sometimes one is too light and the other is too heavy.
    All you need to increase or decrease the capacity of a Lee dipper is a cigarette lighter and a probe rounded on the end like a pencil eraser. Slowly heat the bottom of the dipper to the plasticity point and NOT THE IGNITION POINT, then simply push the bottom out to increase capacity or in to decrease capacity.

I made a set going in .1 cc increments from 1.6 cc to 3.7 cc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast