WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: post m94 for j.e.s.?

Banned

post m94 for j.e.s.?

well i've decided not to do a 257 bob for now. i have too many irons in the fire to take on another gun. so i've decided to take out my irons. i have a 30-30 in winchester m94(post '64, i believe it is 1973?). the wood is great but the outside receiver looks pretty bad from the effects of surface rust(it is a sintered steel). the barrel and magazine tube are ok. i've kinda retired the 30-30(i have a 1898 spr armory in 30-40 krag)but i like to hunt with m94 sometimes.

i could take it up to 35 caliber, a 35-30/30, since i have the 30-30 brass. i luv cast boolits, so i'd like a 250-280gr fn gc? boolit that goes roughly 1400-1800fps. i've already decided on j.e.s., tho it will be my first rebore.

does anyone have 35-30/30? is it good enuff for deer/black bear out to 150 yards?

what other calibers i could use? i've already thought about the 38-55, but its one of irons.
    does anyone else rebore?

I'll be the first to say go for it. If i was in your shoes (or mine) I'd go with JES and the .35-30. Hundreds of moulds.......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    35-30 is a dandy cartridge. Near to a 35 Rem in performance and requires no alterations done to the receiver linkage for a 35-30s function.

38-55 would be another even better choice when it comes to black bear. {Bullet size & weight does matter.} Deer not so much.

But ~? 38-55 bulk brass is hard to come by as I think its seasonal made.

Haven't had a Jes boring done. I'm kind'a old school. More inclined to have a rifle barrel relined than bored. Thus keeping the rifle in the caliber that its engraved id so states.)

Don't have a 35 cal anything. Have no need for one. Just a old 32 special & even older 32-40 when I want to drop the preverbal hammer on something. "Somehow I manage to get by using one or the other."

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a similar 94 and was going to to the same as you suggest. The 35/30 is a good choice for he reasons mentioned and plenty of gun for deer/bear.....but I never did it.

I cannot justify the cost, or the limited range. I can get longer shots when hunting near power lines. My choice remains a .308 for deer. Almost all bear here are taken at short range...normally over a bait pile or treed by dogs.

Still, for a woods gun, the 35/30 makes a lot of sense.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    That is a caliber on my list to get done one day. Like you have an ugly post 94 with good wood that would be a dandy 100 yard river bottom blaster. I could have all sorts of long shots up in the fields but hunting river bottoms and thick woodsy areas if far more fun to me.
    So a 35 caliber would be more that enough with the 30-30 case capacity.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    you have an ugly post 94.... .
    Mike in Peru
    hey!!! are you callin my baby ugly?!!! why i outta.....

yeah, that surface rust makes her uglier than sin. but she was my first gun, first buck and first doe. i retired her about 25+/- years ago. i've been thinkin about un-retired her but i luv my 30-40 krag with 165gr ranch dog even more. i've been thinkin(i tend to do that, ALOT) she could be my secondary rifle and my utv gun. i just have to put on a peep sight and rebore/reline? it to 35 cal and waa laa!! i have a utv rifle. i have many cases( win, rem, federal, pmc.... ) and its not a problem to get more. i've seen a ch-4d that is 35-30/30, goes for $87. that is the biggest thing, reloading.

I could be really wrong but I'm thinking you may be able to neck size 35-30 using .35 Rem dies. After fireforming or necking up the parent case whether 30-30 or .32 WS. Just a guess, don't hold me to it.
    Best, Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    well i don't have a 35 rem or any 35 cal rifles. but it is a good idea. i'll buy the ch-4d dies tho. i mean its going from .308" to .358", i've done 22-250 brass to a 6.5 creedmoor brass with only 6.5cm die.

just a question, i don't have a ffl. how do i ship the 30-30 out of state(PA to OR and back)?

Boolit Master

Most states allow you to ship your firearm to ffl dealers and repair station without too many regulations. I shipped my Marlin to Jess and got if back in a couple of weeks with no problems. I now have a 375 Win on a Texan 336.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    I live in eastern PA and shipped to Jesse with no issues from USPS. He did a 30-30 to 38-55 for me. I have since acquired a 35/30 marlin he did. Love it shoots great and fun also. Hint if you are going to expand from 30/30 to 35/30, you really should run them through a 32 special die too. I used to split a few cases going from 308 to 358 after I started using the 32 special step I haven't split a one. Tom

Banned
    thanks!!!