Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingPBcastco
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hand forged knife..

Banned

i bought this from an older fella in WV, made from bundling straps.

Moderator Emeritus

Technically it is Damascus because the wires in the cable give you the layers... but nowhere near as pretty as true Damascus blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser 98K View Post
    well that is cable.. lot different.. like using railroad spikes, you can go pretty fast. with tool steels if you try to rush it you will crack it.. plus once you get it so hot it is throwing sparks and loosing scale then your burning the metal and losing metal. you might get away with it with certain metals and mild steels but with tool steels like i said you will burn it and crack it.. and that is not true Damascus. true Damascus is drawn out and folded many times. this was originally done to iron blades to hammer out the imperfections of slag and other inclusions and to introduce a carbon element into the metal to create a type of carbon steel..

said he was taught by a guy who used to shoe horses.. contrary to popular belief a person who shoes horses is not a black smith although some made shoes on the side. the person who makes shoes for horses used to be called a Farrier.. but this would explain him not being concerned by the metal being so hot it is loosing pieces because horse shoes were of mild steel and it didn't matter..

but as for equipment. not everyone has the room or the budget to have trip hammers or power hammers. once you get to the point of using power tools it is no longer really hand forged.. ya can also tell the difference in the workmanship with a rushed knife, while it will work as a knife it is also still rough as a cob up close. ya can still see grind marks, uneven lines, and there is pitting up and down the blade and close to the handle. i wouldn't have it. if there is ripples, pitting, and grind marks then it is not finished.. like in the old blacksmith shops, if the master smith saw an apprentice leave grind marks or hammer marks in the finished product he would wrap their knuckles with a hammer handle as that would reflect badly on his shop. people would take it as a sign of shoddy craftsmanship.. id like to X-ray that knife and see how many inclusions were in it.. you will never get the best quality in 3 hours, but you can get a knife.. and i have never been a fan of the Bowie. it is not a good design. too clunky and hard to skin anything with it, it's too thick and the edge angle is too steep..

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Is it crew-served?
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I'm working on 3 blades at the moment, 2 are 1084 and one is raindrop damascus. I'm strictly stock removal currently and haven't built my forge, I do have everything I need to build it and a small knife makers anvil. Not enough time in the week and this hobby takes quite a bit. I've made knives in the past, a couple of decades ago I made a couple, so getting back to this hobby has been fun.

Boolit Master
    That's a nice blade, I've always been envious folks that could forge blades. I've made a couple of knives from files, and cross cut saw blades, but never put a lot effort in final finishing.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by izzyjoe View Post
    That's a nice blade, I've always been envious folks that could forge blades. I've made a couple of knives from files, and cross cut saw blades, but never put a lot effort in final finishing.
    heh, I'm still in the 'collecting raw materials' phase. I've got a few lawn mower blades that will eventually get turned into bush knives once I have the energy and time.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Moderator Emeritus

Wish my shoulders/wrists could handle the hammering, looks like it would be fun to try! But torn rotator cuffs(surgery twice on right, I tear it again I am out of luck) and carpal tunnel both wrists say nope

Boolit Buddy
    Been watching that show - Forged in Fire. Starts with 4 smiths and they give them a challenge to make a blade out of some mysterious metal to some specs. They have three to four hours (depending on the metal) to complete the blade. After that one is eliminated. The remaining three get another two hours to finish and put a handle on the blade. Some come out looking like a five hour knife, and others like they were made over a 6 month period. Incredible craftsmen and women. That round also eliminates one with some really outrageous test. Like chopping into cow shim bones or slicing into hanging meat.

The remaining two get sent home and given a week to make some historical weapon which is then brought back and tested like in wound one, only accurate to the weapons design. Winner gets $10G.

If you get it in your area, give it a watch. Bet you'll be hooked.
    I can not know what I don't know.

Boolit Grand Master

Already hooked! Been watching it for a year, and it is programed to record. I'm afraid to ask what some of those guys ask for a blade!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus

A "Bowie" and some "Fighters" are SUPPOSED to be big, and they aren't designed for skinning, etc. That Bowie in the OP was designed as a slashing Bowie, but they can be made for stabbing too, or .... you can just jab with the slashers if they have a good, sharp point. Makes "insertion" easier and quicker.

Bowies are good for chopping fire wood in camp, hacking big chunks of meat and bone into smaller chunks, and aren't too bad a substitute for a machete or cane knife in many situations. Like any knife, its value really lies in the steel and heat treat of the blade. The rest that makes it pretty or stylish, is just "window dressing." The heart of any knife of any type or design will always be the steel and the heat treat and drawing of the temper. And each steel has its own specific properties that make it desirable for some types of blades, and less so for others. You wouldn't use the same steel to make a sword that you would a kitchen knife or a skinner.

Big knives tend to be pretty expensive if they're made of good stuff. Good steel isn't cheap. And those "440C" blades you see advertised for $9.99? They probably haven't had ANY heat treating or tempering AT ALL! Therefore, big knives are not really common. But need one once, and have a really good one, and they'll make a real believer out of ya'! They're essentially a variation on the old Roman short sword, generally, "customized" for ol' Jim Bowie's purposes by his brother Rezin, IIRC?

If they had no purpose or desirability, folks wouldn't do a double take when ol' Dundee pulls out his big Bowie blade! It's probably one of the last types of knives one needs, but ... well, who couldn't and doesn't want one? A really GOOD one?

Banned
    well if im gonna be chopping wood ill get my hatchet.. i was brought up where a knife is a knife and not a pry bar, not a ax or hatchet, and not a hammer..

but yea, there is no heat treating of most of the china mart stainless knives which is why they will not hold an edge worth a poop. but even though the one i got was made for a guy it is not my first choice as it is too big to be practical unless your skinning a T-Rex.. about 6 inches is my limit on a knife to where it is practical for anything other than a cleaver or something to show off to others that my knife is bigger than your knife... that is mostly what i have found it to be with big knives, it is to show off to their friends so they can say they have the bigger knife.. i personally don't like them that big, but it is what he wanted..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser 98K View Post
    i was brought up where a knife is a knife and not a pry bar, not a ax or hatchet, and not a hammer..
    you mean a knife is NOT a pry bar!!!??

i've used a "china" knife to be a pry bar, hatchet, screwdriver......you name it, i possibly have done it.

i used to have a buck m110 folding knife that i used for deer. now i use a "custom" knife. i bought it from old timer that made knives. mine is from steel straps from bundling.

he said he could make a knife from steel straps, files, chains for motorcycles, railroad spikes.....

its been 5 or 6 years, but i bet he still makes them.

mountain rifle shop
    m w knives made in morgantown, wv

i have his number, just pm me and i'll give it to you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Already hooked! Been watching it for a year, and it is programed to record. I'm afraid to ask what some of those guys ask for a blade!
    Yep it's one of the more entertaining shows i've found in my downtime at the hotel . Most of discovery and history channel I like.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Buddy

Nice work, Mauser 98K. Nobody who hasn't tried his hand at this appreciates the level of skill involved.

Moderator Emeritus

Mauser, point well taken, but the whole purpose of carrying a BIG knife is to do BIG work with it, and by chopping wood, I mean AFTER it's been felled with a saw. They can be used to get blowdown wood sized for your campfire, though, and if they're made heave enough and out of good enough steel, they'll do a very workmanlike job of it, too. And NO knife is a pry bar. Not the GOOD ones at least!!! Knife steels are hard, and thus, susceptible to break or shear off, instead of bending. Even drawing the temper won't eliminate this. It's a function of the molecular structure, as I understand it.

But the Bowie is, mainly I think, essentially a fighter with utility uses incidental to its value as a fighter. And don't discount what a big ol' Bowie CAN do! They can really surprise someone who's never used one. They'll do pretty much what a hatchet will, and if it's a really good design, do it quicker and more cleanly than most hatchets available today. It's one "cuttin' fool!"

Boolit Master

Repeating firearms and silencers (when stealth needed. MG's when not) got rid of the overall need of big knives and swords. They are nostalgic but for true killing give me a Glock.

I love knives and make some but do no dwell on whether they will kill or not. I have been to scenes where a 1 1/2" blade did the dead, took the photo's and documented for the court.

Great show by they way just typical TV hype.

Boolit Bub
    Very nice, but I am not sure I would want to pack that around all day.
    Very pretty work.
    re

Knife is a tool right? Some tools are the "right" tool for one thing and a different tool may be a better choice for a different use or job. But who doesn't appreciate a really finely made quality tool? Not going to chop kindling with a patch knife or cut patches with a Bowie but I do admire the quality and craftsmanship that can be shown in either one.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    here ya go.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6zAdzeH4vQ

this is another one of the hand forged knives that i help make. i just got finished sharpening this one. it is sharp enough that just the weight of the blade can cut through the paper. thing is what you would call stupid sharp and if you not careful it will lay you open without you even feeling it..

this one used to be an old combination wrench that was forged out, heat treated, and polished to make one hell of a knife.. im not really sure what you would call this design but it works well and fits your hand like it should..

Yep looks wicked sharp and that's a nice blade shape - good work!
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast