Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Tried something new

Boolit Master

Tried something new

New to me anyway. I keep one of my 22 mags handy to use off the back porch to take care of potential varmints such as coons, skunks, coyotes, etc. Distance is 95 yards from the porch to the woods. Always thought the 22 mag would be iffy on a large coyote so did some research and found out Blue Dot was a recommended powder to use for reduced loads in a .223. Loaded up some 55 grain Sierra spitzers to use in my CZ 527 lefty (1 in 12 twist). Powder charge was 12.5 grains. The noise level was on par with the 22 mag (according to my wife who was doing needle point when I was shooting). Accuracy? Pretty dang good, pretty much every shot touched each other at 51 yards which is what my bench is set up for. Velocity is estimated at 2,500 fps and I can get 560 loads out of 1 pound of powder.
    I bought the bullets decades ago and the sticker on each box said $3.49.

Bullet $.03.5
    Primer $ .03.5
    Powder $ .04.3

Round it off to $.12 a round. That is $6 per 50. Half the price of 22 mags with a bigger bullet going faster. Yea, I know the bullets I used were really cheap but even if I had to buy bullets at todays prices it still is just as cheap to do this compared to buying 22 mag ammo. Less bullet drop, more power, and superb velocity. Win win.

Note: Be very careful you don't double charge a case.
    East Tennessee

THe 22 mag. is a great round, glad you found a good replacement round cheaper.

Boolit Master

I was thinking of getting a 22 cal center fire for replocating 22Lr and 22 mag performance. Glad you had success. Its inspiring.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    I was thinking of getting a 22 cal center fire for replocating 22Lr and 22 mag performance. Glad you had success. Its inspiring.
    I've thought about this too for a very long time and kept coming back to, it's just to expensive to put together another 22 when I already have 223 bolt and AR's. The bolt gun I can load cast from >1000 to 2000+ or jacteted to over 3000, why add another. The simple answer was 'cause I can' but haven't so far. The 22 K Hornet is of great interest to me.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

There is a big selection of 22 cal small bore cartidges. I was thinking .223 just because of the brass. I have contemplated them all. Just not sure with which to commit myself too.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I too started loading down the 223 to 22lr and 22mag. For a while there were few 22s of any sort available and like stated above 223rem brass is cheap to buy and usually free for picking it up. I like to use TiteGroup from 2.5gr to about 6gr depending on their use. I find that the 60gr.Saeco round nose bullet works very well for these and if you move the charge up to 7 or 8gr. they pack a pretty good punch. I sold all but one of my 22s and now shot these loads in 223 and 22-250 or 22 pellets out of high power air rifles. Gp

Boolit Master
    Hornet case drilled out for 209 shotgun primer. .22 air rifle pellet.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    Like to see you kill a coyote at 95 yards with it. This is what I was trying to accomplish with my experiment.
    East Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by CLAYPOOL View Post
    Good idea for a loud indoor plinker!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    When the 22rf situation was out of control, I got rid of some of my RF rifles and bought a hornet. Sure I had to buy some brass and a set of dies. How much are you going to shoot? I cast up three different designs, ran those through some load work and found what I liked. Loads range from 1025fps and up, along with some jacketed loads. I am still ahead of the game from my stand point.
    I fooled with a 223 for about a month with light loads. The rifles are just not as handy as the smaller platform.

Boolit Master

I use a magnum primer and a 22 pellet(loaded backwards,noise is almost nill,they pack a punch,and still cycles the action of my AR.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

When 22 went crazy I went to 25/20 & 32/20 with cast boolits.

Boolit Master
    I didn't start the reduced load search as a way to save money over 22 mag ammo. I wanted a rifle that would easily kill a coyote at 95 yards away (or further) without more noise than the 22 mag. My goal was reached and saving money was just a plus.
    East Tennessee

Apparently someone forgot to tell you it was impossible to cycle the action with anything less than a full load.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    I use a magnum primer and a 22 pellet(loaded backwards,noise is almost nill,they pack a punch,and still cycles the action of my AR.