Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Dillon 550B to a 550C ???

Boolit Master

Dillon 550B to a 550C ???

I've got a Dillon 550B that works well for me, wondering if Dillon is considering a upgrade kit for the 550B's out there to the improved " C " version ?? As I understand the upgrade, it's just a few things that are more lubrication related than anything else. What parts would need to be changed to accomplish this ?? Would it be worth doing ??
    Chris

Banned

You are talking about swaping out the entire frame.
    Easy to do, but why.
    The only difference is the threaded press arm bushing from the existing press in bushings.
    The press in bushings work just fine.
    Yes I wish I had threaded bushings, but not losing sleep over it.
    I have two 550s and if Dillion makes it an affordable deal
    Count me in
    Otherwise I will solider on as is
    Last edited by jmort; 08-12-2017 at 09:42 AM.

The C won't do anything that the B won't. The later B presses already had grease zerks in them as well.

They did change the frame on the 550 and 650 though, only the 550 got a name change. I assume this is because of confusion between the BL 550 and the 550 B, didn't have the same confusion with the 650 because they don't sell a stripped down version of it.

Boolit Master
    When did they make this change on the 650? Was this recent?
    [

I don't know exactly as they didn't announce it, just noticed it about the time they changed the name of the 550.

This is the new 650 frame.

The 550 C frame is about the same, can't tell much difference except the truss looking part.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I'd like to know about the changes to the 650 and when they did it...my 650 is about a year and a half old, maybe e less.
    [

I never noticed one like the above until the 550C with the new frame, both just a few months ago. I suppose you could give Dillon a call for an exact date.

Boolit Master
    If that's all it is, couldn't you take the pin out, drill it, and tap the end for the grease zerk ??? Seams to me that the minimum size for a grease passage in a shaft is 3/16, ( blind hole ) and the intersecting holes into the bushings would be are 1/8" - 5/32", tap with 1/8 NTP for a grease zerk ?? Any other things changed with the " C " model ??
    Chris

Any other things changed with the " C " model ??
    The frame is different and the upper link pins are threaded, that is it.

Boolit Master
    I talked to Dillon on the Brian Enos forum and they said what everyone has said here about the 550 B to C. He did however say there was no change to the 650...I'll just paste it:

No major design changes have been made to the XL650. The 650 has always had a different style of upper pivot pin from the 550 series. A zerk fitting was added to the 650 upper and lower pivot pins several years ago. The pin design is unchanged otherwise, as it already had a spiral grease groove, and threaded ends for nylock retaining nuts.

So I guess I have my answer. I have an antique 550B. It must be 20+ years old and I'm fine with how it is.
    [

I wouldn't call the changes to the 550 "major" either andthe 550 and 650 both had zerks before the new frames.

Quote Originally Posted by cwheel View Post
    If that's all it is, couldn't you take the pin out, drill it, and tap the end for the grease zerk ??? Seams to me that the minimum size for a grease passage in a shaft is 3/16, ( blind hole ) and the intersecting holes into the bushings would be are 1/8" - 5/32", tap with 1/8 NTP for a grease zerk ?? Any other things changed with the " C " model ??
    Chris
    I don't think this is worth your time, your 550 as is wont let you down. Reload and go shoot instead!