RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portugese Princess - Mauser Vegeriuro

Portugese Princess - Mauser Vegeriuro

I've never seen one in the original chambering, but the ones converted by DWM to 8x57 Mauser are beautiful rifles. Spent the morning one which has a 'mint' bore. Loaded with a Saeco 190gn cast bullet over 28gns 2206, there was no problem regularly hitting the 10 & 9 ring on a standard pistol target at 60m.

My local dealer has a crate of 20+ that haven't been fired for over 30 years!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Wow! Even "down under" treasures turn up. That one seems in really nice condition. Congratulations on a good find!

Boolit Master

I just love these butter smooth actions! Got two, one is original matching 8mm and the other has been worked over into a Euro-Sporter that's now a 7x57.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

I have read and heard about them for over 50 years but I have yet to see one in person. james

Boolit Master
    "one is original matching 8mm and the other has been worked over into a Euro-Sporter that's now a 7x57. "

I would certainly like to see that rifle. I like the older European sporters.

Boolit Master

Here's one that is all matching with an excellent bore and metal finish. The wood is dark, but not dinged up too much and it even has the issue muzzle and front sight guard. The Portuguese Royal Crest on the receiver ring is as nice as any of the South American Mauser crests. I really like the sights on these rifles. They are very easy to use and much better than the normal Mauser visier and korn sights. It's a very accurate rifle to way out yonder with the Turkish 8mm ball ammo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mauser 1904 3-800.jpg  
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 08-12-2017 at 12:37 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    It is Mauser-Vergueiro for anyone who needs to Google it, and it isn't a Mauser at all, owing more to the German Commission 1888 and the Mannlichers. But they are well-built rifles, and the accuracy doesn't surprise me.

Most of the 8x57 conversions were done in a hurry in 1939, when General Franco was getting into bad company. Portugal and Britain have the oldest military alliance in the world, but the Portuguese troops on the Western Front in the First World War had Lee-Enfields, for logistical reasons. Similarly though, the South Africans bought a large number of 6.5mm. Vergueiros when they fought as allies of Portugal in Africa.

Boolit Master

I can tell you from experience, the bolts are easy to take apart, but it take three hands to reassemble them! I have to go to YouTube each time.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Multigunner View Post
    "one is original matching 8mm and the other has been worked over into a Euro-Sporter that's now a 7x57. "

I would certainly like to see that rifle. I like the older European sporters.
    If I could figure out how to resize on this iPad , I'd post a picture!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistics in Scotland View Post
    It is Mauser-Vergueiro for anyone who needs to Google it, and it isn't a Mauser at all, owing more to the German Commission 1888 and the Mannlichers. But they are well-built rifles, and the accuracy doesn't surprise me.

Most of the 8x57 conversions were done in a hurry in 1939, when General Franco was getting into bad company. Portugal and Britain have the oldest military alliance in the world, but the Portuguese troops on the Western Front in the First World War had Lee-Enfields, for logistical reasons. Similarly though, the South Africans bought a large number of 6.5mm. Vergueiros when they fought as allies of Portugal in Africa.
    I know they are not a Mauser but weren't they manufactured by MauserWerke/Orbendorf in 6.5 caliber for Portugal?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Cool. Lets see a picture of the receiver crest, please.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

Portuguese Mauser

Ok, I did some research and hopefully found out how to resize iPad pictures. This rifle started out as a bare action, I had Mike McCabe rebarrel it, add the sights and work the action and replace the bolt. Been working on fitting it to the stock, which was made by "inthe10ring" over on mausercentral.net.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    That sort of makes a person drool! Very nice!

Boolit Buddy
    There are a few of those guns that show up from time to time. I bought one in the original 6.5 x 58 mm at the local small town hardware store. The owner has a pretty good selection and used to do a lot of buying and selling. For under $100 bucks its was mine. At the time neither of us really new what it was beyond a mauser. Finally got some reformed 270 brass and fired it after having it for 20 years.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I know they are not a Mauser but weren't they manufactured by MauserWerke/Orbendorf in 6.5 caliber for Portugal?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    There mightn't be a simple answer to that one. On paper the Portuguese and a much smaller number of Brazilian rifles had been were made by DWM, founded by the Loeuwe family who had already been involved in rifle manufacture under their own name. I think some of the earliest true Mausers for Brazil were marked "Loeuwe". But Loeuwe transferred their large interest in the Mauser company to DWM, so it is entirely possible that some or all were made in a Mauser facility

Thank you Ballistics. I used to have a Mauser article collection printed as a magazine(NRA publications) that I miss sorely because now I must rely on memory and that seems to be a hit or miss endeavor.
    Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

Crest

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    Cool. Lets see a picture of the receiver crest, please.
    Here is the crest. I believe that it is for King Carlos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Portuguese Cropped.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

A guy in our gun club offered one of these as a prize in a shooting contest. It lives in my safe now.

Boolit Master
    Ludwig Loewe became DWM in 1896. Since these rifles are designated 1904 models they would have all been manufactured by DWM.

While the design is a Portuguese Heinz 57 mix of Mauser magazine and Mannlicher bolt the manufacturing was done in Germany and it was chambered for German developed cartridges.

Note this example does not have the gas vent hole drilled in the receiver so it is still in 6.5X58P Mauser caliber.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1904 Portuguese Vergueiro SDC10212.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	201833

Note Ludwig Loewe markings on an 1891 Argentine Mauser manufactured before 1896.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1891 argentine_mauser_Billboard.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	201834
    Last edited by EDG; 08-14-2017 at 12:05 AM.
    EDG

Boolit Master

I have one of these rifles, matching numbers, etc. beautiful rifle, has the sling with it. The barrel has some external pitting under the wood. I've kept it to mild cast loads and no factory or jacketed ammo. The action is smooth. Like was noted, reassembling the bolt requires a visit to YouTube. The original caliber markings are xx'd out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast