MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman Turbo with stainless pins AND corncob

Lyman Turbo with stainless pins AND corncob

Has anybody ever tried to mix a handful of stainless pins in with corncob media in a vibratory tumbler? I don't have a wet rotary tumbler but I am wondering how a mix would do with enough corncob media to keep the pins floating.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

I think the pins would grind the walnut to dust.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    The media would expand when wet, the pins would be held in place until the media dried out. I have heard of cob salad, but with the pins, soap, and media you would end up with cob soup. Not something I would want to ever try to clean up after. This is perhaps one to hit the "ignore" button.

For just dry media, it still would burnish and scratch the brass. Better to just use walnut media if you need scrubbing. Keep in mind that the SS pins add to the weight so you would have to reduce the amount of brass being cleaned. But if you are really determined, try it and post photos.

I had no intentions of using water, just media and pins. I think the next time I have some really dirty brass, I'll try it. The pins I have are very magnetic and I have a pretty strong magnet, so if it doesn't work, I will be able to separate the pins and media without a bunch of trouble. If I give it a try, I'll post pics for sure.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Murf: I think you misunderstand the whole SS pins process.

The liquid detergent, Lemi-Shine etc. is only there to loosen the dirt. The Pins actually agitate the dirt into solution in the liquid.

They are not cleaning the cases per se' They are only helping transfer the dirt which has been loosened by the soap into the water so it can be rinsed off.

They do get into all the nooks and crannies very well and that is why the cases look so nice when they come out.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    murf,

Will never work. The pins will remain at the bottom of the tumbler and do nothing. You need to use a rotary tumbler with pins, not a vibratory tumbler.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

That's what I was wondering. Don. I guess I thought that the corn cob media would keep the pins in suspension and clean the primer pockets. That is one time consuming job that I definitely do not enjoy.

I used my Lyman 2500 with ceramic media and a little water/soap to tumble/debur aluminum and stainless parts on several occasions. Had to tumble it a while but it worked pretty well.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Head over to harbor freight and pick up a double rock tumbler. It was around $44 with coupon when I bought mine. I've been using it for a couple years now with stainless pins, a table spoon of dish washing liquid and a teaspoon of lemishine in each tumbler. Tumble for 4 hours and the brass comes out clean inside and out including the primer pockets. Works great!

Boolit Master

If the brass is just dirty and stained, try citric acid (found in canning supplies) and water. Soak the brass for 10-15 minutes agitating every couple of minutes. Then rinse thoroughly and dry. Then run it for 1 hour in either crushed cob of for a better shine crushed walnut. Citric acid doesn't hurt the brass and leaves a protective layer.

How many cases of 44 mag, for instance, can you tumble in the HF tumbler. I looked at one of those and it looked like it would leak to me??? Does yours?

Banned
    IMHO media tumbling other than stainless pins is obsolete. Been tumbling with media in a rock polisher for 30 years. Once I discovered the pins/water/Dawn/Lemishine method all my other media went to the compost heap.

Really clean cases and no dust !

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    How many cases of 44 mag, for instance, can you tumble in the HF tumbler. I looked at one of those and it looked like it would leak to me??? Does yours?
    They dont leak, ive never counted how many casings fit. I fill them with casings to about an inch and a half before the top and fill it with water to about a half inch before the top and run them for four hours, walk away and forget about it, unload and repeat. I did about a 100, 450 bushmaster the other day in one load (both cylinders)and could have added about 20 more per side if I had to guess. Not a huge tumbler but not a huge investment. You will be happy if you purchase one and try it. Best thing I ever did after my lyman corncob vibrator burnt out. No more picking out corn cob media out of my flash holes and purchasing media again. The pins last for ever. The best part is the flash holes are cleaned and shiny along with the inside of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
    IMHO media tumbling other than stainless pins is obsolete. Been tumbling with media in a rock polisher for 30 years. Once I discovered the pins/water/Dawn/Lemishine method all my other media went to the compost heap.

Really clean cases and no dust !
    me too

Boolit Master

this is my method, too but switched out the pins for SS chips
    here is link: https://www.facebook.com/southernshinetumblers/

they cut the time in half for me.

And as usual, I am only a satisfied customer and in no way reap any benefits from this place other than getting clean brass in half the time
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

id hate to get one of those chips in my foot. I tumble in the house.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    me too
    Another me too.

Banned

I put 50-60 of 223 or .357 the ones I clean most on each side. I tumble for 15 minutes then change solution and clean again. Mine come out perfect. There is a correct number to put in each side. You have to experiment to find out what that number is.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Lots of great ideas, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast