WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scored a beautiful 1900 30-40 Krag !

Banned
    If you want one, they can be found starting for 10 pictures of Ben on green paper. Mine took 12 but still cheaper then a 1903-39 03' in the same condition.

I had a Krag and loved it. I bet I checked that lug monthly! Other than some case head swelling I never had a problem. I only shot starting loads but in my youthful ignorance I worried too much about it's age and let it go.
    Best, Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    How soon before it gets fired??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine is in my avatar.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I had a Krag and loved it. I bet I checked that lug monthly! Other than some case head swelling I never had a problem. I only shot starting loads but in my youthful ignorance I worried too much about it's age and let it go.
    Best, Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Lymans' caution in their reloading manuls regarding the bolt lugs is worth paying attention to..

Banned
    Rifle showed up and seller was 100% honest. Exterior is amazing for a 117 year old gun. Bore has some pitting and some scale.
    The Lyman bore scope is a great investment !

Got out my Brownells fire lapping kit and rolled a bunch of 180 gr RN Lymans from a long sold mold.

Gonna run 20 with 220, cleaning every 5. If it cleans up will continue with jacketed in the other 3 grits.

If not it will become a 3 groove 35-40.

Now I need to build that Cataract scope mount !

I want to say shoot it as it is and make it work - which it probably will but then you are talking 35-40. Mmmm ........

But seriously, you may find it will shoot very well as is with the right combo. Don't ignore paper patching as an alternative. Worn throats seem to love paper patched boolits and at appreciable velocity too.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

DAMN! Who cares if it's one of the worst decisions U.S. Ordnance ever made? That is SWEET!

I can't remember the last time I saw an uncut one. . .maybe the Cody museum
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Wish I had not traded my Krag Carbine off, but back then finding a replacement barrel was next to impossible and the bore of that carbine looked worse than the surface of the moon.
    I got more than twice what I had in it in trade but it would now be worth ten times that even with a aftermarket barrel. Action was in perfect condition.

I stole a 99 carbine at a small gun show.... it was in a homemade stock.. I got it for $150..... Later I found a clean Rifle in a Carbine stock in a pawn shop, I bought it. Married them up, even got the headless striker from the old De Christopher gun parts.

Boolit Master
    Don't let a little roughness scare you off from shooting it. I have a Krag sporter that is pitted in the grooves from chamber to muzzle but still shoots cast and J just fine. Fortunately the lands were not pitted which is probably why it does well, but try yours and see how it does before spending money on a new barrel it may not need.

Banned
    In the Krag book there is a side mounted experimental sniper scope. Just bought a mount here that is close to the rear mount and am bidding on a set that one of, is a clone for the front mount. Can't shoot it until I can see. Krag sights are not for geezers !
    Last edited by Eldon; 09-07-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12