Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who doesn't want an automated press?

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Collated case and bullet feeders, 100 rounds in under 4 min.
    Understood, I was seeing if I was correct in that about 6 minutes per 100 is the limit for a non-automated 650.

I suppose by the strictest sense of the word there is no such thing as a non automated 650 because they already have automatic shell plate advance, primer feed, case feed and powder measure but most folks think even adding a bullet feeder doesn't count for "automated". They want automated to mean something more.

Like this thread for example, using "automated" in the title to describe a press that loads autonomously, at least for some number of rounds before things need to be filled back up.

That said, like the video I posted in #39, the only thing that sets rounds per hour is the speed the press cycles. If my fingers are going into and out of a pinch zone, that makes it somewhat slower for me but I remember a little over 30 years ago, I wasn't as smart and my Brother and I were loading. He was the handle puller and case feeder, I was the bullet feeder. We managed 800 rounds start to finish in one hour. He only mashed my fingers twice before I suggested a change in job positions and we hit a rhythm with a "K" (short for OK) every time My other non mushed fingers were in the clear. By myself, these days I do 100 every 9:30, on the same press.

I'd still give all my neat reloading gear to load with him again though.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Understood, I was seeing if I was correct in that about 6 minutes per 100 is the limit for a non-automated 650.
    That's probably pretty close. I just have the case feeder on my 650 and it takes me 20 minutes to load 300 rounds, pausing only to add another pre-loaded tube of primers.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I suppose by the strictest sense of the word there is no such thing as a non automated 650 because they already have automatic shell plate advance, primer feed, case feed and powder measure but most folks think even adding a bullet feeder doesn't count for "automated". They want automated to mean something more.

Like this thread for example, using "automated" in the title to describe a press that loads autonomously, at least for some number of rounds before things need to be filled back up.

That said, like the video I posted in #39, the only thing that sets rounds per hour is the speed the press cycles. If my fingers are going into and out of a pinch zone, that makes it somewhat slower for me but I remember a little over 30 years ago, I wasn't as smart and my Brother and I were loading. He was the handle puller and case feeder, I was the bullet feeder. We managed 800 rounds start to finish in one hour. He only mashed my fingers twice before I suggested a change in job positions and we hit a rhythm with a "K" (short for OK) every time My other non mushed fingers were in the clear. By myself, these days I do 100 every 9:30, on the same press.

I'd still give all my neat reloading gear to load with him again though.
    I am sorry for your loss. I doubt it helps you, but I gave my brother my 550 and am setting it up for him.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234