Load DataRotoMetals2PBcastcoLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who doesn't want an automated press?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Look at all the responses that apparently missed it
    how about if we DIDN'T miss it ....but wanted to comment anyway?

I'm going to have to upgrade my 550B, since I started shooting USPSA. I shoot faster than I can load ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    I'm going to have to upgrade my 550B, since I started shooting USPSA. I shoot faster than I can load ammo.
    I bet in the time you spend at a match you could reload more rounds than you shoot. Something like 3-4 hours to shoot 150-250 rounds?

That said, I understand what your talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddirt62 View Post
    Idk, I reload because I love to and although I do own a 650 I got off the "More-faster" treadmill a few years ago. Now I spend a lot if time on my Co-ax. I can still fire up my 650 and knock out 1000+ an hour and that is plenty for me and mine. It is cool that they brought everything in-house and are producing their own press. Reddirt
    Realistically, if I prestage loaded primer tubes, have the brass ready to go, and keep a fast, steady pace; I can produce 100 rounds in 6.5-7 minutes on my 650 so about 600 rounds an hour, a little,less. I'd like to known what I'm doing wrong because faster would be better as my free time is at a premium.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd like to known what I'm doing wrong because faster would be better as my free time is at a premium.
    Collated case and bullet feeders, 100 rounds in under 4 min.

A cheap primer tube filler will take the pause time for refills under a minute and a half, and expensive one more like 30 seconds.

Boolit Master

$9,500 is a steal for someone doing commercial ammo. For us 'po folks something like that would be a luxury. Kinda like using a Ferrari as an every day driver. I was recently discussing reloading with a friend who got into it full speed. It didn't take him long to see that the novelty can wear off and there is certainly a need for speed in some cases. He bought a 650 and loading 9mm with my cast bullets it is going to take him about 12,000 rounds to recoup his investment of press tumbler, etc. For a early 30 year old air force guy with 2 small kids the investment was definitely worth it and will pay off. It will take me about 18,000 9mm rounds to justify the cost of my 1050 bought last spring. I am not complaining one bit because you have to justify the worth of your equipment and that, my friends, is not always a dollar figure.
    At one with the gun.

Boolit Grand Master

When it comes to justification if I want it and I can afford it that is justification enough for me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    When it comes to justification if I want it and I can afford it that is justification enough for me.
    and that is what it truly boils down to.

Funny how folks think they need to justify what press they buy. I just walk in the closet and look at all the stuff my wife has bought and doesn't use. Some of the tags still on them are a bit shocking but at least I don't have to question myself anymore.

I don't own an RV, no boats that require more than human power, got rid of my motorcycles, don't chase women, what else can I spend my money on?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Funny how folks think they need to justify what press they buy.
    I don't ever need to justify a purchase. If I want it, I buy it. Bills are always paid. Kids are clothed and fed well. I can't imagine letting someone else control my money.

If I had a need for this press I wouldn't hesitate to put in an order for one. At this point I can keep up w/ my handgun shooting on a single stage.

Boolit Master
    Nope, I don't even use my 1050s to their full potential.
    I have all the "automation" I need or want.

Others:
    Camdex 2300 Series Large Rifle Loading Machine
    Large Rifle Caliber Loader for 300 WIN MAG to 50 BMG. Camdex PLC control panel with variable speed motor. Automatic case and bullet feeders. Sequence of machine functions. Automatic case and bullet feeders

Case Presence
    Fiber Optic Primer Detection
    Case Neck Rounding
    Case neck OD size - carbide
    Large Size Powder Canister
    Powder drop accuracy +/- 0.15 grains
    Adjustable belling
    Powder probe
    Automatic bullet feeding and seating – single drop mechanism
    Secondary bullet seating
    Adjustable crimp
    Bullet presence
    Fiber Optic Cartridge Counter at Exit

or

Camdex 2100 Series Pistol Loading Machine
    The Camdex 2100 Series Loading Machine is speed adjustable to 4400 cycles per hour. The 2100 series will stop for and indicate on the touch screen control if any of ten faults have occurred. The 2100 Series features a total redesign of the control and monitoring system to enhance operator use and make fault correction fast and easy.

The 2100 Series Loader can produce ammunition in any NATO or commercial handgun caliber. Conversion packages are available to allow the machine to load more than one caliber of ammunition. It is shipped complete in one caliber. As with all Camdex products the 2100 Series Loader is backed by a one year warranty on materials and workmanship.

2100 Series Standard Features

Our state of the art control system monitors 10 functions simultaneously to ensure that the finished ammunition will be of the highest quality. An automatic 14 inch case feeder and a 14 inch variable speed bullet feeder are standard equipment. The automatic primer feed system is assisted and monitored by an Air/Vacuum system.
    Monitoring Features
    CASE LEVEL - Low case level in feed tube automatically shuts off machine.
    CASE PROBE - Checks for case feeding, foreign particles and live rounds.
    PRIMER POCKET PROBE - Mechanically checks the primer pocket for ringers.
    PRIMER SLIDE - Shuts off the machine should a primer jam occur due to dirt or high anvils.
    PRIMER FEED - Shuts off machine should it run out of primers.
    PRIMER LEVEL – Fiber Optics automatically maintain approximately 60 primers in feed system
    POWDER PROBE - Checks for both high and low powder charges.
    BULLET FAULT - If the machine fails to feed or runs out of bullets, the machine shuts off.
    VACUUM SYSTEM - Checks vacuum pressure to assure primer feeding.
    CURRENT SENSOR - Any increase in preset amperage shuts off the machine.
    The Camdex 2100 Series Loader has automatic primer feeding to improve production rates and simplify the loading process. Just put up to 400 primers in the bowl at one time and the feeder will supply the machine automatically. The primer feeder is controlled by a fiber optic monitoring system which allows approximately 60 primers into the feed tube. When the primer level falls below this amount the fiber optics will turn the feeder on. When the level has returned, the primer feeder will shut off. The feeder will also orient the primer to feed with the proper side up.
    The priming system is also monitored by a vacuum system which will shut the machine off should the machine run out of primers. The vacuum system is monitored by the SmartPanel, which informs the operator of the location of any of the monitored faults.

The Camdex 2100 Series and the Camdex 2200 Series Rifle Loader both use the SmartPanel and make the machines extremely user friendly. The electric current is 120 volts/60 Hz (also available in 220v/50hz) with 24V DC control circuitry to all external micro switches. All of the controlled functions of the machine are easily monitored on the touch-sensitive screen directing the operator to the location of any fault that occurs.

The 2100 Series control panel not only monitors 10 machine functions, it also provides easy access to all of the feeder controls. The vacuum pump is controlled through the PLC by way of the touch-sensitive screen and the power and speed controls for the case, primer and bullet feeders are located on the face of the panel.

THE LOADING PROCESS

The Camdex 2100 Series Loader has 11 stations in line. It sequentially moves the case from left to right. Each station performs a process or inspection for the succeeding station, until the cycling of the machine produces a finished cartridge with each cycle. After the case leaves the case entry tube it moves to the first station where the machine probes for a case with nothing inside of it. This starts the progression as follows: size and deprime, primer pocket probe to assure the entire primer has been removed from the primer pocket, prime, powder drop, powder probe (for over and under charge)and case-mouth bell, initial bullet seating, finish-depth bullet seating and final sizing, crimp and bullet check. When the round exits the machine it is ready to fire.

Boolit Grand Master

That is a nice looking machine! Its more than most of us need, but it was not intended for the casual reloader either. If you sold handholds at a gunshop or indoor range this would be great. The workmanship and design on that machine looks to be first class!

Boolit Buddy

Wouldn't mind having one of these machines. I have 2 of the Dillon RL1000's and it looks like they are using a design very similar to the Dillon RL1000..
    Viet Nam 11/66 to 3/68

Boolit Man
    I'll stick with my Bonanza coax press, and my Hollywood senior, and my Hollywood turret,and my Dunbar. A Hollywood turret in 1962 cost over 250.00 I think. But that same 250 today would be over 9,000 in inflation. Plus single stage is just more fun, it's your commitment to quality and at least to me more satisfying than watching a machine spit out ammo.

A Hollywood turret in 1962 cost over 250.00 I think. But that same 250 today would be over 9,000 in inflation.
    Looks like $2011.93 http://www.dollartimes.com/calculators/inflation.htm.

That's closer to a regular 1050 in terms of cost but it to will load ammunition just as good or better than much slower methods.

Boolit Buddy

Takes all the fun out of reloading. And the ability to put off the wifes honey-do list.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by inspector_17 View Post
    Takes all the fun out of reloading. And the ability to put off the wifes honey-do list.
    After the first 50,000 loaded on a single station the only thing I find fun about reloading is seeing how smoothly and efficiently I can get my progressives to operate.

I suppose it depends on what's on her list. My wife bought me my first 1050 so we would have more "snuggle" time.

After my Daughter was born I automated one of them to do my weekly loading chores while I took care of the other additions on my list.

Banned

If I had 1/10th of the ability of jmorris et al I would go for it. I am a mere mortal so I will continue pulling the bullet slot machine lever. Actually, I do enjoy the reloading process, but would love to get into the big leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by inspector_17 View Post
    Just up your goals to the thousands

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast