WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who doesn't want an automated press?

Boolit Master

skipping the 'question' in the title all together...

too rich for my blood

stick to my SDB which I've had since they were $129.95
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    I would buy them all day long at that price. Unfortunately I was a little kid when they were released

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    They aren't meant for the casual reloader. They are meant for people that need a lot of production for competition. Or someone who is making a business out of it. If I actively competed I wouldn't hesitate to buy an automated press of some sort. The mechanical part doesn't scare me one bit. The less time away from my family the better.

If you're buying one of these as a means to make money you better buy redundancy. If you need one machine to run at all times you better have three. Two would be the minimum but that statistically leaves you vulnerable. The company I work for has been selling data center units to the likes of Facebook, Apple and Google to the tune of $250 million an order. They all have tens of millions in equipment just sitting idle. Redundancy is one thing most small businesses don't think about or can't afford. Sorry for the slight thread drift.
    If you could get some of these 'high-production & automation gurus' to talk honestly about the metamorphosis you go through when you step into this world of hi-speed loading...you might re-think this statement.

I don't mean the experiences of an expert trying to 'dial-in' a new production line...I do mean talking to a fella who was in transition to these new commercial loading machines, or in the process of automating a manual machine.
    Considering all the learning curves he, as an operator must get through...think of all the rounds that accumulate that must be torn down due to uncertainty after a running problem is found...too little powder or none...primers not seated at least flush...so on and so fourth.

Having one of these machines new out of the box doesn't mean instant volumes of ready to fire ammo and all that time you are going to have with the family now...I think your going to pay the 'time invested price' to get to where you can just turn the machine on and reap the rewards.

I think I nailed it earlier when I said it would be a job of work.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    If you could get some of these 'high-production & automation gurus' to talk honestly about the metamorphosis you go through when you step into this world of hi-speed loading...you might re-think this statement.
    No need to rethink it. Compared to what I do for a living getting this press to run would be on par w/ it. I spend most of my time looking at PLC code anymore. The mechanical aspects are the easier part. While the mechanical aspects of this press would be over the head of most it would be just another day for me. I don't expect it to be this way for most. We all have different life experiences.

I can't justify buying a press like this. I can't justify buying anything above a Dillon 550B. Now where I to hit the Powerball or Mega Millions jackpots, currently in Ireland so that can't happen , I'd buy a bunch of these to play around w/.

I'd have a hard enough time affording to keep it in supplies and running for more than 1/2hr let alone the purchase price. Besides to feed that beast I wouldn't be able to afford range time when it was all said and done.

Boolit Buddy

Are there Rhetorical questions on this site?....hahaha
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Mine too and I don't plan on getting rid of them anytime soon either. That said its nice to load 300 rounds for the match Saturday morning while your cooking dinner on Friday night.

Boolit Man
    I'll take two. One in .45 and another in 9mm. I do admit it will take some time for the butler to become proficient. All this just as soon as I hit the lottery. Oh wait, I never buy tickets.

Boolit Grand Master

They already make auto drives for the 650 and 1050. This is a step-up from the 1050's targeting the commercial loaders.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    They already make auto drives for the 650 and 1050. This is a step-up from the 1050's targeting the commercial loaders.
    BINGO!
    Their target is commercial users of Dillon's 1050.

Boolit Grand Master

At that price !
    Trying to convince the wife how much money I'm going to save is going to be tough !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I like priming 50 cases by hand then checking with my fingertip to see that every primer is in fact seated slightly below the head.

I like loading powder in 50 cases then shining a flashlight into the set of cases to see that the amount of powder in each case looks identical.

If it takes an hour to load a set of 50 rounds that's OK with me.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    I like priming 50 cases by hand then checking with my fingertip to see that every primer is in fact seated slightly below the head.

I like loading powder in 50 cases then shining a flashlight into the set of cases to see that the amount of powder in each case looks identical.

If it takes an hour to load a set of 50 rounds that's OK with me.
    then a machine such as this isnt marketed at you. stuff like this isnt marketed at everyone, nor does everyone need it.

I understand but with the machine I posted a video of on the last page, you set the depth you want the primer, with an Allen wrench. All of them are seated to that same depth without chance of human error leaving one high.

The powder check system is so sensitive it can catch differences in powder level that your eyeball can't, even with the help of a flashlight.

Boolit Grand Master

I'd not consider that to be a reloading press, more of an ammunition production machine. Kinda like the difference between a HobbySmith home lathe and a 5 spindle Davenport Auto Screw Machine...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

It's a Dillon 1050 that they have modded with their add ons. I tried one of their drives with my XL650. Sold the drive and went back to manual operation. It was quicker for me manually.

Boolit Master

while it sorta resembles the shape of a 1050, one good look at it and you can see it has very little in common with the 1050.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    while it sorta resembles the shape of a 1050, one good look at it and you can see it has very little in common with the 1050.
    Yeah. Take a close look at it, and it's actually a piece of art. A LOT of engineering when into this thing. The primer collator itself is an amazing thing.

As others have mentioned, it's targeted towards commercial loaders, people who compete and go through a lot of ammo, and me (if I ever won the powerball).

a Dillon 1050 that they have modded with their add ons. I tried one of their drives with my XL650. Sold the drive and went back to manual operation. It was quicker for me manually.
    The 1050 doesn't have as many stations as their new press but you can certainly tell where they got the idea from.

I too can load faster on my manual machines than my automated one. That said I can load twice the ammunition with both of them.

I generally either top the machine off and do other things or casegauge and box while its loading. It takes very little effort to load, casegauge and box 1000 rounds in under 53 minutes. I can't say that about any of my manual presses.

Boolit Buddy
    Ive got their drive on my 1050. Easily the best gun related thing ive bought. The learning curve is not steep, the produced ammo is the same as hand cranking.

I still hate reloading but its a lot better than it was. I put the radio on and do about 1500 rounds an hour.

A couple hours and im done for a 2 or so months.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast