MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee factory crimp die

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    For 45LC black powder reloads, I use the Lee FCD to put hard factory crimps on the rounds. Purpose? Reduces chamber blow back appreciably in both rifles and revolvers.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    There are more than two types. This has been discussed to many times to count. Use the correct term when discussing these. They have different names.

So let's do this yet again.

Carbide Factory Crimp Die

Collet Style Crimp Die
    These are for straight wall pistol cases. There is no cut away view for this die. It's essentially the same design as the Factory Crimp Die below.

Short Bottle Neck Collet Style Factory Crimp Die

Factory Crimp Die
    I see only 2 types. Collet and post seating/crimping sizing dies. The rifle/collet style comes it two types standard and short collet. The hand gun FCD has two typed, post seating/crimping sizing and collet. So I still see only two types; collet and crimping/sizing...

And to be really picky Lee makes two other "types" of crimp dies; roll crimp and taper crimp. And just one more, Redding makes a "Profile Crimp" die...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

There are four specific names. They may be the same type but they are still named four different things. If people called them by their proper names there wouldn't be the confusion. This thread has nothing to do w/ conventional crimp dies so there is no need to bring them into the conversation.

Boolit Master
    Only use the fcd on rifle loads ,never felt the need on 357 mag etc.like the idea of constant boolit pull pressure.

Boolit Man
    I started using them when they first came out and on rifles I have cut my standard deviation way way down and less flyers too.
    I have one for every rifle caliber I have and feel naked without one.
    One year I watched a 25/35 rifle come close to exploding.The pressure was so high the primer left town and we never found it as the bullet slid back into the case and raised the pressure way too high.
    A factory crimp die would prevent that.
    I've been reloading since the mid 60's with the hand press lee set up until 1970 I started using a RCBS single stage press and had some reloads slip back under recoil but after getting my first FCD I never had another problem.Thats the best idea to come out of Lee Reloading Equiptment I think.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    There are four specific names. They may be the same type but they are still named four different things. If people called them by their proper names there wouldn't be the confusion. This thread has nothing to do w/ conventional crimp dies so there is no need to bring them into the conversation.
    Yep, but that's like saying there's a difference between a Stillson wrench and a pipe wrench...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Yep, but that's like saying there's a difference between a Stillson wrench and a pipe wrench...
    And this is why there is so much confusion. There are four specific names for them. They all work on different cartridges. Use the correct name and there won't be any confusion. It's a little bit above using a brand name compared to the name of a tool.

If people want to keep the confusion going have at it. It's easily preventable but people like to do things their own way.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a 45acp Lee Pistol (carbide) FCD as well as several others that came with die sets. I've used them with jacketed bullets (and commercial cast bullets) back in the day, I don't really load any jacketed bullets in pistol ammo anymore.

I quit using the Lee Pistol (carbide) FCD dies about 7 years ago, (when I started casting and reading castboolits).

I have been loading some 45 acp the last few days, and have a bunch more to go.
    Yesterday, I ran into a condition where the FCD is helping my loading of cast boolits.

It may not become a regular part of my 45 acp routine? we'll see?
    I will post about that later, in a new thread.
    I've read where the carbide rings Lee puts in these can have a wide variance. I have checked this 45 acp FCD die, and it rings out a oversized round, right to factory spec (.473).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

As pointed out elsewhere, take note of the larger carbide sizing ring in the Lee Pistol Carbide Factory Crimp Die. It can serve as a larger initial sizing die for use with larger diameter bullets, such as 0.455s in an older 45 Colt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123