Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee factory crimp die

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I use them for all my pistol loads and the collet for my 8 X 57. i've been very happy with the result. Some like Chevy, some like Ford -to each their own. They aren't that expensice- you can get them from Titan or others who are sponsors of this site. Instead of taking someone else's word -buy one and try it out. If you don't like it I'm sure you'd be able to list it in the WTS/WTS section and someone would buy it.

I have also experienced difficulties in using the FCD on oversized cast bullets, but find it a real asset for everything else. Works great on standard diameter cast bullets, jacketed bullets, and rifle cartridges. Just read and follow the directions.

Boolit Grand Master

A major misunderstanding is there is "a" Lee FCD. But there are two Lee Factory Crimp Die types, completely different in design and crimp style; one is for handgun ammo that sizes the case post bullet seating (mainly to clean up mistakes with bulged or oversize cartridges). The other is the FCD for rifle cartridges. This one is a collet crimp die, no roll nor taper. A collet squeezes the case mouth evenly around the bullet.

I have two Lee FCDs for rifles, both work quite well. I had an FCD for handguns, but it now resides in a landfill somewhere in So. Oregon...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

There is no major misunderstanding
    This has been discussed ad nauseum.
    And you are wrong
    I ordered collet crimp dies for my .357 mag and .45 Colt
    Wake up

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    A major misunderstanding is there is "a" Lee FCD. But there are two Lee Factory Crimp Die types, completely different in design and crimp style; one is for handgun ammo that sizes the case post bullet seating (mainly to clean up mistakes with bulged or oversize cartridges). The other is the FCD for rifle cartridges. This one is a collet crimp die, no roll nor taper. A collet squeezes the case mouth evenly around the bullet.
    There are more than two types. This has been discussed to many times to count. Use the correct term when discussing these. They have different names.

So let's do this yet again.

Carbide Factory Crimp Die

Collet Style Crimp Die
    These are for straight wall pistol cases. There is no cut away view for this die. It's essentially the same design as the Factory Crimp Die below.

Short Bottle Neck Collet Style Factory Crimp Die

Factory Crimp Die

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    As I said, I usually only crimp on cartridges that need it. But, I try to have tools in case the unexpected occurs. Yes, there are two types of FCD's and they work on different principals.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Yes, there are two types of FCD's and they work on different principals.
    No, there are four types. Two of them are the same design for different applications. Regardless that means there are three types.

Lee doesn't do anyone a favor w/ their naming conventions. But at the same time people don't use the proper names when discussing them.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    No, there are four types. Two of them are the same design for different applications. Regardless that means there are three types.

Lee doesn't do anyone a favor w/ their naming conventions. But at the same time people don't use the proper names when discussing them.
    Wow, I never noticed there were more than the two types of crimp mechanisms. What makes up the third crimp function?

Checked out Lee, two pistol style and one rifle. Also found out they can do custom rifle crimp dies for large body and other out of usual dimensional aspects. Lee also makes large body crimp dies, a 1-1/4" x 1/2" thread size.

That's one of the things about this site I just love, even when you been doing this for years, ya still keep learning the little things, right along with the big things.
    Last edited by MOA; 08-13-2017 at 02:34 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

There are three pistol style. See post #26. If you shoot a round like 357 Sig the short bottle neck collet style FCD is great. Bullet set back is a very big issue w/ the round and the crimp the die provides completely alleviated the problem. Even w/ lead bullets.

Boolit Master

I use all but the short bottle neck crimp dies and every round (rifle & pistol) gets a crimp albeit light in most cases.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Bub
    I load quite a bit of 8 Kurz for the Sturmgewehrs. Those rifles have a somewhat tortured feed path mag to chamber and really should have crimped cases. The LEE collet crimp die works great.
    It's special order item that I'm glad they offer.
    Also have one for .223 that works great.
    Pete

Banned

ive loaded for bolt guns, ar15s aks and about every type of centerfire rifle and never saw the need to crimp any bottleneck rifle round. Might have some use for VERY hard kicking rounds like the 375 H&H 416 mags ect but ive shot a pile of those without crimping too and never saw a problem. I just cant see deforming a bullet crimping it that doesn't need it to begin with. Only time I could see it benifitial is if you had poor neck tension but if that was the case id be looking at a new sizing die not a bandaid the crimp die provides.

Vendor Sponsor

Actually there are three Lee factory crimp dies. One is the collet style for rifle, then there is the carbide sizer style for pistol, but there is ALSO a collet style for pistol. These pistol collet style FCDs used to be uncatalogued special run pieces, but they make a LOT of them now, available simply by looking them up at the Lee site.

However, the as-issued collet stylle FCD for pistol leaves much to be desired, typical Lee, you need to tweak it for best performance. As it is, the crimp band is too wide, it crimps both the case mouth AND the boolit ahead of the case mouth which is unacceptable. The crimp band needs to be made narrower, and the collet made shorter so it brings the crimp down onto the case mouth. I modify my collets to do just this narrow crimp and they work great. I find that the collet helps SD by holding the boolit against moving from magnum primer ignition which greatly increases the SD spread. Also, this is the BEST crimp you could want to use for heavy for caliber boolits hunting dangerous game or hunting where defense against dangerous game has to be totally reliable against boolit jump.

Here are some 44 mag rounds using the modified collet style Lee Factory Crimp die on the left, hard roll crimp on the right. I might also mention that the softer the alloy, the firmer the crimp needs to be. Hardcast can get away without the collet style crimp, softer alloys like 50/50+2% or other soft alloys you would prefer for hunting benefit greatly from this style crimp:

45 Colt with modified collet crimp:

Link to the thread showing how to mod this excellent Lee FCD, lots of photos: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2239315
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    How much variation in case length, for rifle cartridges, can the FCD handle?
    to specifically answer this question, there is no case length requirement...but...
    the crimp will always be the same distance from the case head, so if have a wide variation of case lengths and you get one that is way too short, you'll end up with a crimp above the case mouth. And conversely, if you get one that is way too long, you'll end up with a crimp too far below the case mouth.
    There is no adjustment, short of permanently modifying the die...which some folks had done for specific reasons. There is at least one thread about the "How" and the "Why".
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I use them, and never had a problem with swagging the bullet below factory lead diameter, no leading problems what so ever. This is very simple, don't like them save your money, don't buy them, or use them. As far as those of us who use them, and like them, the haters will have to get over it. Because like everything else on the internet whining is the same as urinating in a head wind.

Now can we get back to hate Glocks, or love them, and caliber choices. I need an excuse to pop more popcorn.

Boolit Master
    My son has the Lee dies that I use For my 30/30, and has the collet crimp die. It works okay for me. My handguns get the RCBS roll or taper crimp as need.

Being a single shot rifle, I suppose it really doesn't matter if I use the collet crimp or not.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    I use them, and never had a problem with swagging the bullet below factory lead diameter, no leading problems what so ever. This is very simple, don't like them save your money, don't buy them, or use them. As far as those of us who use them, and like them, the haters will have to get over it. Because like everything else on the internet whining is the same as urinating in a head wind.

Now can we get back to hate Glocks, or love them, and caliber choices. I need an excuse to pop more popcorn.
    Ha ha ha ha

Boolit Master

I like the .223 FCD for my defensive ammo but not for target and hunting ammo. I want no chance of bullet setback for eotwawki ammo.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    ive loaded for bolt guns, ar15s aks and about every type of centerfire rifle and never saw the need to crimp any bottleneck rifle round. Might have some use for VERY hard kicking rounds like the 375 H&H 416 mags ect but ive shot a pile of those without crimping too and never saw a problem. I just cant see deforming a bullet crimping it that doesn't need it to begin with. Only time I could see it benifitial is if you had poor neck tension but if that was the case id be looking at a new sizing die not a bandaid the crimp die provides.
    Never say never, before the FC die the bullet used to push into the case up to the ojiveClick image for larger version. 

Name:	300 RUM Lee FC die.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	201979
    Charter Member #148

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast