RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: expander/deprime combo?

expander/deprime combo?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38 3 expander.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	201995

Is it my geezer memory or is this an unusual expander plug for an RCBS 38/357 die set? Set dates from 82, I bought it with a bunch of other dead guy stuff.

Picture did not come out clear enough, it appears to be able to have a decapping pin mounted on the expander.

I have since peddled it, I don't need 3 sets of 38 dies when I don't even own a 38. Yet.

Just curious.

Thanks,

Boolit Master
    My 38 Special dies (RCBS) are the same way. Separate sizing die, then decap/expander in the second die. The dies look modern (7/8 x 14 threads, modern style), but they are at least 15-20 years old (belonged to my Father-in-law).
    Hick: Iron sights!

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    My 38 Special dies (RCBS) are the same way. Separate sizing die, then decap/expander in the second die. The dies look modern (7/8 x 14 threads, modern style), but they are at least 15-20 years old (belonged to my Father-in-law).
    This set had a "normal" size die with decap pin in it plus this expander/decap pin. Redundancy? Transition set of dies? If they are 20 years old I would expect a year of manufacture stamped on the top.

Wish RCBS still did that instead of a letter code.

Probably should search to see if someone has figured out a letter code to year of manufacture chart.

Boolit Grand Master

That expander/decapper was the way they did it years ago. I'm not exactly sure when they changed it but all of my sets from the 90's on have the decapper in the sizing die and an expander in the 2nd die. This may have been changed to better serve progressive machines.

Boolit Master
    I have 3 sets of handgun dies with this set up. One Older carbide 2 steel.. from what I understand . the de cap was placed in the expander to put less stress On the resizer. I still use them This way . and find them to be good. Weather That is correct or not. I don't Know. Each set are 2 lyman and 1 CH
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost