MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: War Dept approval on a Shiloh 1874 Sporter #3

War Dept approval on a Shiloh 1874 Sporter #3

So, I haven't "bought" yet but I got approval through the financial CEO and War Department (wife- aka SWMBO) to order and put a down payment on a Shiloh Sharps 1874 Sporter #3 when we pass through Montana in two weeks. It will be 2 years before it's built most likely and a down payment of 10% is the norm from what I hear, until the build starts.

I retire June 28th 2018 so this is an early/late retirement gift. This should lessen the wear on my Springfield 1873 (built in 1883) Trapdoor. (*hyperlinked if you want to see it, in bold)
    I'm a simple guy, that loves to shoot mid range (300-500). I *might* take it out long range once in a while. I don't need fancy wood, etc etc. Just a working man's rifle.
    Feedback appreciated on my choices!

Here are the details.

1874 SPORTER #3

1874 SPORTER #3
    CALIBER: 45-70
    BARREL LENGTH: 32"
    BARREL WEIGHT: HVY.OCT BARREL
    FEATURES: NONE
    WOOD UPGRADES: STANDARD WOOD FINISHES: AA - Standard (+$170.00)
    METAL FINISHES: STANDARD COLOR CASED BUTTPLATE: MILITARY BACKGROUND
    BRASS ESCUTCHEONS: NONE
    CUSTOM BEDDING: CUSTOM BED (+$50.00)
    SLING SWIVELS: NONE
    TRADITIONAL CHECKERING: NONE
    FOREARM TIP: NONE
    HARTFORD COLLAR: NONE
    POLISHED SCREWS: FIREBLUED (+$77.00)
    PISTOL GRIP: NONE
    PATCHBOX: NONE
    REAR BARREL SIGHT: NO REAR DOVETAIL
    VERNIER TANG SIGHTS: #108 MID-RANGE (+$316.00)
    FRONT SIGHT: SHILOH #111 (+$80.00)
    DRILL AND TAP MVA SCOPE: NONE

Photo shown with fancy wood and round barrel (not ordered as photo suggests, it is a stock website photo):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sporter3.jpg  
    Last edited by Big Mak; 08-11-2017 at 09:17 AM.

Banned
    Nice ! BUT the secrets are:
    1. A separate CC for guns w/bills sent to YOUR p.o. box.
    2. Have so many she can't count them all.
    3. Whenever you leave the house with a cased gun, carry an extra empty case as..... you just never know.

If you don't wish to wait two years, there is no shortage of hardly used ones available. Folks are captivated by being "Quigley" but the luster wears off quickly with the BP cleaning and recoil.

Like this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/675515913

or:

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Shiloh...ne%3D#topoflot

or, even a real one !

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/Mid-Ra...ne%3D#topoflot
    Last edited by Eldon; 08-11-2017 at 03:31 AM.

Boolit Master

I ordered a #1 in 40-50SS for a fun gun to hunt and shoot mid-range with. And of course silly-wets. Since I'm a pretty old guy I went through Bill Goodman. My best friend ordered a Ferris rifle from Lee Shaver and died before he ever saw it.
    My wife lost count a long time ago, as a matter of fact so did I until I did an inventory one weekend. I was actually surprised how many I had. Recently did a sell down to finance the Sharps.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Looks like a nice rifle! I definitely recommend Bill Goodman if you want it quicker. I recently got one from him and it took a little longer than he expected it to, but much faster than an order directly from Shiloh.

If you are sold on the #3 buttstock then you might want to think of the add-on ebony pistol grip. I have one like that and it's excellent for silhouette and midrange. The drop on the stock is less than ideal for long range.

I would recommend changing the front sight to the low profile with spirit level. The spirit level will be your friend as you shoot further distances, it's certainly going to make you more consistent at midrange distances.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like a very nice rifle. The only other upgrade I did in addition to what you have is I went with better wood for the looks. I also have the long range rear sight on mine. May not be needed but nice if you ever do need it.

Mac, when you come to Buffalo,we can go the range and you can shoot my 2 #1's,the pistol grip sure makes lining the sights up and keeping it there much easier at longer ranges..

Boolit Buddy
    I highly recommend going for the shotgun butt over the military. Also if you're going to compete the Roughrider pistol grip stock is more comfortable.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    If the gun is primarily a hunting rifle or mostly shooting from sitting or offhand, then the military butt is fine. But like yellow house says if you're looking to shoot some competition with it, a #1 or a roughrider would be a better choice. I would also suggest a 30 in barrel if going with the heavy octagon, 32 inch would be good in a standard weight barrel.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Ditch the 32" barrel for a 30" barrel. Get rid of that awful military butt. You will enjoy shooting the shotgun butt pistol grip version. The military butt version will be just another used rifle on the market in a few years.
    EDG

Banned

30" barrel, shotgun butt, pistol grip sporter #1, the way to go - got a good half year left 'fore that special letter arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    *** but much faster than an order directly from Shiloh.

If you are sold on the #3 buttstock then you might want to think of the add-on ebony pistol grip. I have one like that and it's excellent for silhouette and midrange. The drop on the stock is less than ideal for long range.

I would recommend changing the front sight to the low profile with spirit level. The spirit level will be your friend as you shoot further distances, it's certainly going to make you more consistent at midrange distances.

Chris.
    Thank you for the feedback Chris. I appreciate it. Speed is not an issue right now. I'm patient.
    I've given second thought to the pistol grip along with the shotgun buttplate, .
    Can you point me in the direction of what the different types of Shiloh fronts sights mean? e.g. MVA #113, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Mac, when you come to Buffalo,we can go the range and you can shoot my 2 #1's,the pistol grip sure makes lining the sights up and keeping it there much easier at longer ranges..
    Randy, that is a very nice offer but unfortunately we won't have time to stop but for a night this time. We'll be back though, next time with a 37 ft 5th wheel!
    We will call you once we get north of Casper to plan out Monday evening.
    We plan to park and 'shoot' the solar eclipse with my filtered spotting scope and DSLR camera just north of Casper wherever we can find a safe place to pull over.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    30" barrel, shotgun butt, pistol grip sporter #1, the way to go - got a good half year left 'fore that special letter arrives.
    rfd, can you tell me the primary difference between the #1 and #3? I guess I will find out in 10 days but I'd like a little heads up.

Thank you all for the feedback.

After consideration of the feedback and further research.... A Sporter #1 might make more sense.
    I am currently using the trapdoor for midrange (300-500) and it's a fine rifle for that range. It's a very accurate rifle, moreso than the shooter!

I intend to use this new rifle primarily as a long range shooter, and I doubt I'd ever use it for hunting.
    My hunting days are over except for duck, goose, upland bird.

I guess I need more research!

BigMak, the #3 is just what you have pictured in your op. The #1 has a pistol grip, cheek rest, shotgun butt, and less drop in the stock.
    I own both those and a roughrider, the #3 is a fun rifle until you shoot it prone, then it gets hard on your collar bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mak View Post
    After consideration of the feedback and further research.... A Sporter #1 might make more sense.
    I am currently using the trapdoor for midrange (300-500) and it's a fine rifle for that range. It's a very accurate rifle, moreso than the shooter!

I intend to use this new rifle primarily as a long range shooter, and I doubt I'd ever use it for hunting.
    My hunting days are over except for duck, goose, upland bird.

I guess I need more research!
    If your main intention is for target shooting, then stay with the 32 inch barrel, altho it may not make weight should you ever decide to take on a bpcr silhouette match. I prefer the 32 inch barrel for the bptr matches.

Boolit Master
    Big Mak, the #113 sight is MVA's lowest profile Sharps sight that has a spirit level. It's 0.525" from the bottom of the dovetail to the center of the sight. Lower is better because you need a little less elevation on the rear sight to reach the same distance. Another sight to give serious thought to is the Distant Thunder midrange sight. It's just a few thousandths taller but has the spirit level inside the globe which can be an advantage over the MVA sights depending on the angle to the sun. I've had it so I could not see the bubble in the MVA spirit level due to the sun's glare. That sight also doesn't use a spring clip which is an improvement IMO. But it's less authentic than the MVA Sharps style.

I also like longer barrels for BPTR prone shooting. For anything where there is offhand shooting like silhouette or "midrange position", I would go with a 30", but for prone longer won't hurt, and the extra weight can be nice.

I wipe between shots, and it seems to work well in barrels up to 34". Some have troubles with the longer barrels but I think those are mostly blow tubers.

Chris.

My build finally hit the floor after 20 .months wait. Now another 4 month wait while they actually build it. I ordered in April of 2018.

I ended up going with the Montana Roughrider, 45-70, 30 " octagonal.

The sights I am ordering are MVA's.
    VERNIER TANG SIGHTS: #107 - LONG RANGE (+$353.00); FRONT SIGHT: MVA #113 (+$167.00);

TWO QUESTIONS:
    1) What is the Dove tail dimensions for a Shiloh Sharps on the front site?

2) Should I go with the adjustable windage MVA sight instead?
    #112 Spirit Level with Windage Sight

Boolit Master
    I have never really needed front end windage. There was one time I could have put it to work, had I had it, but it wouldn't have really been that helpful. I do hate the way the sights get hung up and bashed on everything. So, I would say NO! to adjustable front sights.

I hate to say it but I don't much care for the nonwindage MVA front sight either. That is the only product MVA makes that I do not care for. That spring clip - just waiting to get bent, busted, and caught on something.

Just my two cents.

Brent, what brand would you recommend?

Boolit Master
    Well, if Mr. Distant Thunder were to chime in here from his beach-side retirement on the Riviera with, "I've got one more left I could sell ya," I would by it in a heart beat. Otherwise, I would buy a Steve Baldwin front sight. Both of these are bomb proof and perfect.

Boolit Master
    With respect to the rear sight, I would choose an MVA Soule sight over the MVA Vernier tang sight. Way easier to get quick and repeatable settings for windage. With the MVA midrange soule on my Shiloh in .45-70, with a Lee Shaver front sight, I've shot to 880 yards on gongs. It had more elevation left, but not likely for 1000.

So I'd recommend the 101 midrange for anything 800-900 yards and less. Further than that and I'd use the long range soule.

Chris.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast