Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Contender Long Gun

My Contender Long Gun

I jumped in with both feet on this Contender!!! When I bought it it came with a Match 21" .22 LR barrel !! With in the 1st hour I ordered
    a 23''Bull Barrel in 30-30 !!! and than I had to have a .44mag barrel so I ordered a MGM 24'' bull barrel !! It was shipped with in 30 minutes
    of placing the order !!! WoW now that's Service!!!...............Well the barrel came to my door on the 3rd day !! The 4th day I had it in the lathe
    and re-cut the chamber to my .44-56WC !!!!what a sweet shooter !! This is a Great Gun ,easy to handle and the trigger pull is near Perfect compared to my Set Trigger on my 1894 Winchester !!!

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Master
    Looks like a lot of fun in store. Great service from the barrel company. Let us know how it shoots.

Banned

I picked up one like that in .17 HMR. Had no real interest in a .17, but the asking price was way too good a deal to pass up.

Man is that thing easy to shoot well! Really nice rifle. Am considering buying an MGM barrel in .22 Hornet or .218 Bee for it eventually. Also considered having it rechambered for .17 Hornet so I could at least reload for it. Not sure yet, but ther are very good rifles.

This was my 2nd go around !!! and I'm a happy camper !!! I've made some changes to my load and I'm ready to re shoot the target to see in the changes
    made a difference

after shooting this target I went back to the loading bench and I dipped and scaled each load!!! did 5..... than the next 5 were loaded with a 1gr increase
    to help tighten up the group if this works out than I can go back to the scope for some changes !!!!
    We'll see how it responds

Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    Now you will have to buy another frame (it simply is not proper to have just one). Then you will have to get a couple extra springs and other spare parts from Mike Bellm just in case. I feel for you but you have a ways to catch up with my happy addiction.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 08-10-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Now you will have to buy another frame (it simply is not proper to have just one). Then you will have to get a couple extra springs and other spare parts from Mike Bellm just in case. I feel for you but you have a ways to catch up with my happy addiction.
    I'm trying tehehe.............this rifle sure gets in your blood fast !!!! Ol Deuce

I have made the decision on my new Barrel !!! 24'' bull in 25-35... I have over 400 rounds ready to go! dies ,the works it's a no brainer !!! LoL
    the thing I need to get is a mold ,spear point around 120+gr.......!!!!

OL Deuce

When I tried to fire the 30-30 ,She didn't work ! The hammer spring was flat gone!! It would do the 22 rim fire but not the center fire!! Ordered a 5 pack of
    hammer springs from Mike Bellm !! the new hammer spring was what she needed ! now it feels like Brand New !

the next Gun part I want to pick up is a thumb hole butt stock !! that should help out!!1

Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    You might see if you can find a folding Contender carbine stock with the pistol grip as well. Mine has been much admired and makes it ever so portable even if you lose a little (not much) accuracy. I especially like my Choate folder with either my 9mm Luger 18" barrel or my Hornet both with peep sights.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 08-15-2017 at 07:33 PM.

You might see if you can find a folding Contender carbine stock with the pistol grip as well. Mine has been much admired and makes it ever so portable even if you lose a little (not much) accuracy. I especially like my Choate folder with either my 9mm Luger 18" barrel or my Hornet both with peep sights.
    Where did you locate the folding stock????? I really like the TPL in 12.5 to 13" it makes for an easy sight picture for me!!! My Shiloh is like 14'' and WoW what a reach ....TGF for a set trigger on that ol'girl LoL

Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    Get a 32/20 barrel for some cheap fun.
    Leadmelter

Quote Originally Posted by Leadmelter View Post
    Get a 32/20 barrel for some cheap fun.
    Leadmelter
    Hahaha I've thought of that and my thought is to build a axillare chamber that will fit in the 30-30 chamber !!! I have one for the 32 S&W !!!!
    Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    FWIW, try different positions on the bench. None of my short barrel ones (14") liked any pressure from the bags. I would put the trigger guard up against the bag and have as little weight as I could on the forearm. I think putting your hand under the forearm and rest hand on bag might help too (Win 94 shooting 'trick'). The barrels are thin so any deviation on pressure will show up on the target.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    FWIW, try different positions on the bench. None of my short barrel ones (14") liked any pressure from the bags. I would put the trigger guard up against the bag and have as little weight as I could on the forearm. I think putting your hand under the forearm and rest hand on bag might help too (Win 94 shooting 'trick'). The barrels are thin so any deviation on pressure will show up on the target.
    Charlie.........thats good info.......once I get the load worked up to being a bit more consistent ! I can move on......Randy

Boolit Master
    I "googled" Contender folding stocks and found out they are still available from Choat at about $110. My 10" 32/20 barrel is far and away my favorite Contender pistol barrel. I have never been able to shoot well a pistol with a scope but that 32/20 is very hard on coyotes out to 150 yards with the original iron sights and an MV of 1350. Good enough for me.

I "googled" Contender folding stocks and found out they are still available from Choat at about $110. My 10" 32/20 barrel is far and away my favorite Contender pistol barrel. I have never been able to shoot well a pistol with a scope but that 32/20 is very hard on coyotes out to 150 yards with the original iron sights and an MV of 1350. Good enough for me.
    On my spread ...Coyotes are in season 24-7........all the rest of the critters are safe!!! unless a Badger comes in plane view!!! I have a perfect yard for shooting!! I can get 220yds to my SouthWest and I can pick up to 450yds to my south!! Beyond this I have to go to the range!! and thats about 7 miles
    to my North LoL !!!

I'm really liking this contender and I will check into the folding stock!!! This chamber is what I'm going to copy and change it to a 32-20 for my 30-30 barrel

Ol Deuce

Going to shoot my last test tomorrow morning !!! Now that the Eclipse has passed my shooting should get better !

Ol Deuce

Boolit Master

Be careful how you store your barrels, if they are to close together, they multiple like rabbits

Yeah, I found it to be a platform where one can dump a lot of money.

You say you have a lathe, if you also have a mill you can save money just making your own barrels.

I machine the lugs complete except the pivot as well as the scope mount screws and ejector slot are machined after I weld them on.

This is a folder 16" .22 I did and a 20 shot group at 60 yards beside the quarter.

This is it below a Remington 510 for scale. It's quite compact folded, even more so without the suppressor on it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Yeah, I found it to be a platform where one can dump a lot of money.

You say you have a lathe, if you also have a mill you can save money just making your own barrels.

I machine the lugs complete except the pivot as well as the scope mount screws and ejector slot are machined after I weld them on.

This is a folder 16" .22 I did and a 20 shot group at 60 yards beside the quarter.

This is it below a Remington 510 for scale. It's quite compact folded, even more so without the suppressor on it.
    Cool Stuff!!! Your plan on the block is Good!! I was thinking of doing that but !!!!! Time .........Do you have Samples of the Block ??? Tehehe
    Ol Deuce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast