Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FA hand primer

Boolit Master

FA hand primer

Finally got one, they have been on backorder at many sites. Midway and Cabelas....Cabelas is cheaper.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Boolit Master

Have you tried it yet? If so, what are your impressions; pro and con? james

Super Moderator

Iv'e been eyeing these, I'd like to hear about it too. I tried one of the RCBS hand primers, didn't care for it and wound up returning it. The primers would hang up and get turned sideways on the cheap plastic part that holds the shell holder. Changing from Large to Small primers was a pain as well.

Boolit Master
    I made my purchase based on using another brand (which I didn't care for) and some of the reviews already on this site. For now all I can say is it comes in a neat plastic case that holds all of the components to load small and large primers. The shell holders are provided for loading more than 265 calibers. One of the previous reviews makes note that the shell holders are cheap. Lee primer shell holders will work, not regular press shellholders. Easy to change shell holders and from large to small primers. Adjustable priming depth. Heavy stainless steel tool. I might have time today to use it a bit.
    Most of the tanks are gone and the windows don't rattle anymore. I won't be able to sleep now.

Vendor Sponsor

interested in you thoughts as well
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Just primed about 50 9mm small primer. Using Tula primers, they caught on the small protrusions of the primer tray and did not want to flip. Easy enough to flic with a finger nail, but still an inconvenience. Crushed 2, didn't have quite enough pocket prep. It seemed too easy for more than 1 primer to advance into the ready area, that happened half a dozen times. If you don't see this happening, you will get a half seated primer and cannot remove the casing from the holder, requiring disassembly and probing till you get it loose.....I'm someday gonna set one off I bet. I caused the majority of the doubles by shaking the tool for primer advance. I finally found the happy hold so they advanced by gravity. Still having enough room for 2 at a time is not ok, I'll have to closely look for the issue. The adjustable seating feature seemed to keep some primers from advancing till I shook, again not good. I did like the more positive feel when the primer bottomed out. Also aligning the handle pin with the primer pusher did not have to happen, this is what kills me with the other brand. In all, with not much time using hand held primer tools with trays, I shoulda stuck with my on press Lee system, the one that is no longer made. I will keep this one for now and maybe learn to use it more effectively. If I was on a roll and priming a lot of cases, this may make the hand tired on those of us with old and arthritic hands.

I still have the Lee system and also use a K&M tool. These are very effective, although the K&M is slower.

Super Moderator

Well, thanks for the report. I'll just stick with my RCBS bench mounted one. It's slow, but it doesn't waste primers and be the cause of frustration.

Boolit Master

Good report. That is what we were waiting on. Sounds like a mixture of good and not so good. For the time being, I'll stay with my RCBS Posi-prime and Lee Screw in types. I do have one of the "improved" Hand Prime sets but have not used it as yet.

I use the RCBS hand primer that has the adjustable jaws that will prime cases from 32 acp to 45-70 and I love it. Have primed several thousand cases of different calibers and only had one or two primers that went in sideways.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I bought one of the FA hand primers but haven't had the time to try it yet due to my wife and I moving. It looks like a well built hand primer. I'll be able to make a post on it in a week or so when I finally get to use it. If my understanding is correct, the new (newer) Lee hand priming trays are supposed to work on this unit as well.

Time will tell . . . . . and I do all of my priming with a hand primer - usually the Lee.

Boolit Mold
    Want to know the pros and cons too

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW; I have not found a hand priming tool that I cared for. I have used new and old models from 3 manufacturers Lee, Hornady and RCBS. I could not find one that fit my hand, and would have to reset the tool in my hand after every squeeze (and that's funny because I have made my living as a machinist/mechanic/electrician for over 50 years using a vast variety of hand tools). Also every tool I tried (and I still have two) shows the same problems as the OP stated, double feeds, sideways feeds, tray "log jams", etc.

My first solution was a ram prime and now I use a Lee Bench Prime (over 2,000 primed cases so far with zero problems)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

In Remembrance

At last count I have an RCBS bench mount unit, a Hornady hand unit, the `NEW` LEE hand prime unit and an old LEE prime unit. Anymore I still reach for the old LEE, don`t know what I`ll reach for when it finally breaks.Robert

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    At last count I have an RCBS bench mount unit, a Hornady hand unit, the `NEW` LEE hand prime unit and an old LEE prime unit. Anymore I still reach for the old LEE, don`t know what I`ll reach for when it finally breaks.Robert
    THIS, exactly!!! The old, original Lee hand priming tool was the BEST priming tool EVER! IMHO, of course. I still have one, made up from the parts & pieces of the ones that broke over the years. When that one breaks, I think I'm going to cry...........well, maybe.

Hey, Lee Precision, BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL PRIMING TOOL!!! Maybe we could do a Group Buy??????
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Vendor Sponsor

centershot .. Have to agree the older rd Lee hand primers were the best .. Started collecting them up when they got discontinued ..
    Tried RCBS and Hornadys versions ,, just never fit my hand like the lee does
    The dog bone shaped link is what I keep breaking
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

The FA blows away the Lees. I had and loved my old original until it broke and probably would still be using it if they had parts. But, now that I have the FA, nothing would ever make me go back to the original Lee. No comparison.

Boolit Master
    What, pray tell is the FA primer?
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Frankford Arsenal Hand Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    +1 on the old Lee's. I have two, one for small primers, the other for large. They have had so much use that the plastic covers are stained a light grey. The only part that ever gave me problems were the pot metal handles.
    Last edited by 18Bravo; 10-03-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast