WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 1873 45-70

Boolit Master

1873 45-70

I recently bought an 1873 .45-70 Springfield Trapdoor for less than $400. The reason the price was low is that the metal was reblued at some point, and the stock was refinished. The reblue looks like it was done by someone who knew what they were doing.
    The wood is in great shape, the bore is very good - it will be a good shooter.
    So, the question is - should I strip the blue to make it look more like its age or just leave it and shoot it.

Boolit Master
    Shoot it

Boolit Master
    they were blue to begin with so leave it alone and shoot it it will age as you use it. now remember the arsenal reblued rifles when they rebuilt them.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I recently bought an 1873 .45-70 Springfield Trapdoor for less than $400. The reason the price was low is that the metal was reblued at some point, and the stock was refinished. The reblue looks like it was done by someone who knew what they were doing.
    The wood is in great shape, the bore is very good - it will be a good shooter.
    So, the question is - should I strip the blue to make it look more like its age or just leave it and shoot it.
    What rear sight is on that rifle? I can help ID them if you are not sure. Picture too can be fun.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    When did the arsenal rebuild/reblue them?

The store advertised it as an 1873 Trapdoor (no caliber). When I went there yesterday, the store owner told me it was an Allen conversion, and it was a .50-70. But me smart Injun - it did not have any signs of being converted (I have an 1868 .50-70 - not a conversion). So, I went back today with the idea that it was a .45-70. A salesman agreed with me and took a round out of a box of .45-70 reloads and tried to load it - it wouldn't fit. Hmmm. I went home (5 miles) and got a .50-70 round, went back, and it would not fit. Now everyone's trying to figure out what caliber the rifle is.
    Then I looked at the ejector - it was not moving when the trapdoor opened. For some reason it got stuck, but once it was freed, the .45-70 round chambered.
    With that much time invested in the gun, I had to buy it.

I'll get a pic of the rifle.

Boolit Master
    I took some pics of the rifle.
    Just ahead of the trap door is the number "50". That number is also on the butt plate.
    There's a faint "US" on the side plate. I found one inspector's mark. There are no marks on the wood. The barrel bands have the "U".

Boolit Mold

Mystery Rifle

Maybe this is a stupid question, but has anyone slugged the bore? If its a 45-70, 45-60, etc. it should come out to be between .457-.462 in diameter. Then its just a matter of using a depth gauge on the chamber to determine cartridge length. That could be as simple as a small piece of paper and a pencil mark at the end of the chamber if you can butt the paper up against the front of the chamber.

Boolit Master
    I slugged it today and it came out around .458". I have a Lee HB mold on the way and a set of dies.
    I'm curious about the low serial number - "50".

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    I slugged it today and it came out around .458". I have a Lee HB mold on the way and a set of dies.
    I'm curious about the low serial number - "50".
    How'd you measure the slug? Three groove slugs can't be accurately measured with a typical micrometer or caliper. I'd bet it's over .458. Not to worry. Load that Lee HB unsized. It should cast around .462 in 20/1 alloy.

In Remembrance

Battis:

Your trapdoor Springfield is a Model 1873 based on the type of rear sight in the picture. The serial number will be on the receiver just behind the breech block. From your pictures, the gun appears to be heavily scrubbed or buffed. No problem for a shooter but that treatment mostly destroys the collector value. The Lee .459/405HB bullet will shoot fine in your gun unsized. Most trapdoor Springfields shoot best with bullets in the .460-464" diameter range. The number "50" stamped on it may have been a rack number. Many National Guard units numbered their arms for inventory control.

Boolit Master
    I knew this one had no collector's value when I bought it. It's been scrubbed, buffed, reblued and probably restocked.
    That's why the price was low. But the bore is nice. If it gongs the gong at 100 yds I'll be happy.