Lee PrecisionInline FabricationGraf & SonsMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingADvertise hereStainLess Steel Media

Thread: .308 wildcats

Boolit Master

.308 wildcats

Im curious on this one.

A lot of the popular gun writers like to allege the .308 is just a cut down 30-06 case to shorten it for better powder consumption and shorter actions.

Im curious why ive never heard of chopping down .308 to make 8x57 or 7x57...

Im also curious if there are any people who have played with cutting the .308 case down to say 45mm at knecking to .308 again.

Perhaps if the pressure was low enough, a decent want to get those Spanish 1916 mausers back to service?

Not .308 cases, .404 Jeffries, but there's the whole line up of the WSM and WSSM cartridges.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Short_Magnum
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master

.358 .338 Federal 7mm-08, .243
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Boolit Master

Several in hunter class bench rest and some others played with a 308X 1 1/2 for awhile simply the 308 shortened by pushing shoulder back and necking to 308. This was also tried in high power with the 243 X to slow throat erosion.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    Im curious on this one.

A lot of the popular gun writers like to allege the .308 is just a cut down 30-06 case to shorten it for better powder consumption and shorter actions.

Im also curious if there are any people who have played with cutting the .308 case down to say 45mm at knecking to .308 again.

Perhaps if the pressure was low enough, a decent want to get those Spanish 1916 mausers back to service?
    How would you chop something off a 51mm case to make it 57mm???

22-250 would be a chopped 308 or necked 250-3000.

Boolit Master
    The parent case is 300 Savage. All one needs to do is look at all the cases that can be formed from 308. I made a decision awhile back that any rifle I buy has to be chambered for a cartridge that I can make from cheap and plentiful 308 brass. There is a plethora of cartridges out there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    How would you chop something off a 51mm case to make it 57mm???
    This.
    And as someone else already pointed out, there is a .308 x 1-1/2" (about 38mm) wildcat.
    And I would like to add, the Spanish 1916 Mausers don't need anything to get "back" into service. Just don't run thousands of full-power commercial .308 rounds through them, and they're fine. Especially if you use it as a cast boolit shooter.

40 miles from nowhere and plum out in the sticks
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    The parent case is 300 Savage. All one needs to do is look at all the cases that can be formed from 308. I made a decision awhile back that any rifle I buy has to be chambered for a cartridge that I can make from cheap and plentiful 308 brass. There is a plethora of cartridges out there.
    We think alike. I have a liking for .308 family cartridges as well. I would add that one can look at compatability charts for head space gauges as well.

Boolit Master
    Do you still not reload anything yet?

The length of a case means something. Size does matter.
    For a .308 the case length is 51 mm. You cannot stretch the .308 case and make it 57mm long for the 8X57 or 7X57 rounds.

If you are unfamiliar with these rounds and their general specifications you can do 2 things.
    1. Buy reloading manuals that have scale illustrations of the cases and buy a copy of Cartridges of the World.

2. Learn how to look up the cartridge drawings for both SAAMI and CIP standard cartridges. Both standards have scale drawings of the cartridges and chambers.

For the CIP drawings you will have to learn to convert the metric dimensions to inches. To make the conversion you divide the metric number by 25.4 or you can multiply it by .03937...

Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    Last edited by EDG; 08-11-2017 at 09:39 AM.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    The wildcat that comes to mind based on 308 is the 25 Souper
    Hell, I was there!

Banned
    The best wildcat on the 308 is the 243 AI as it eliminates that brass flowing tapered shoulder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldon View Post
    The best wildcat on the 308 is the 243 AI as it eliminates that brass flowing tapered shoulder.
    It's still overbore.

Boolit Master
    Minute -

Howdy !

There are some minor differences in the rim thickness and/or extractor grove of the brass, when comparing .308Win to - 06.

I'd have to check to see whether the 8 X 57 family itself a whole 'nother rim & extractor groove spec.

.45ACP is also sometimes considered to be just the open-ended bottom portion of an -06 case.
    Again, I'd have to re-check the extractor groove dimensions of the two, but.... understand the point.

There's a whole bunch of folks that don't need more case capacity than the .308 basic can provide.
    Forming medium-capacity wildcats of -06 brass would result in a lot of excess materiel being discarded.

With regards,
    357MAG

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by joesig View Post
    .358 .338 Federal 7mm-08, .243
    Add the 260 Remington, 25 Souper, 270-08 and the 375-08 to those.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

And for good measure .444 rimless and 45 Raptor if you like straight wall cases.

The .308 has indeed been turned into a variety of other calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Yes it was. The .300 Savage neck was too short for auto fire as the story goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

The .45 extraction groove matches the .308, not the 30-06.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    And for good measure .444 rimless and 45 Raptor if you like straight wall cases.

The .308 has indeed been turned into a variety of other calibers.
    The flip side of the coin is the rimmed .308 using .444 brass. (.308 Bellm)
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

"Control the things you can control, maggot. Let everything else take a flying (leap) at you, and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing."- The Dark Tower, Steven King

Hi Hamish.Also known as the .307 Win for use in lever guns.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    The wildcat that comes to mind based on 308 is the 25 Souper
    Love my 25 Souper!