Graf & SonsLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2StainLess Steel MediaMidSouth Shooters Supply

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 5345 USD (89%)
WE HAVE REACHED OUR GOAL! THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED CONTRIBUTE AND KEEP US GOING!
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****


Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 64

Thread: How picky are you ?

  1. #41
    Moderator



    JonB_in_Glencoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    8,963
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    There is one thing I haven't seen any comments on like and dislike. And for some reason the folks around here don't prepare them. We generally don't waste much meat . Back in the day we would have a gathering of family and friends for a boucherie' (a hog killing). Used up just about all of the hog, the normal stuff bacon , roasts , hams etc. but also used the head (hogs head cheese ), fried the hog skins (cracklins) , sausage , the liver and heart , rendered the lard out, feet, lips and ears get pickled, hocks get smoked even the stomach was stuffed (Chaudin).
    But there was one part that wasn't ...the testicles ! They seem to be eaten in other areas, rocky mountain oysters...isn't that bull, hog or sheep testicles ? Anyone ever try them and what do they taste like.
    Mom used to say we use up every part of the hog but the squeal....but there was one part I don't remember getting used....maybe there's a reason ?
    Gary
    boucherie' you say?
    I've been a helpin' hand for a few of those. No one there would take the sweet breads, So I got them all.
    You didn't mention sweet breads, I'd hate to hear they got put into the head Cheese...I like both, but I like the sweet breads a lot more.

  2. #42
    Boolit Master

    DerekP Houston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    2,382
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    boucherie' you say?
    I've been a helpin' hand for a few of those. No one there would take the sweet breads, So I got them all.
    You didn't mention sweet breads, I'd hate to hear they got put into the head Cheese...I like both, but I like the sweet breads a lot more.
    While I've prepared and tried sweet breads...I can't say I would ever do so again voluntarily. The best ones were pressed and deep fried, i believe they were calf.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

    Thanks Yall!

  3. #43
    Boolit Master

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    3,910
    Ok try most things once. Never been an organ person. No Liver, tripe, chitlins, etc. I can do chicken gizzards if I'm in the mood. No Rocky Mountain Oysters either.

  4. #44
    Moderator


    MaryB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SW Minnesota
    Posts
    6,705
    I can buy them at the local Walmart... not that I ever would... yech! Oxtail is one of tastiest parts of the cow, and rather expensive now since it became a trendy restaurant meal. Tongue is okay, not high on my list, same with heart. Heart I cut in little fingers, bread it and deep fry, serve with hot sauce...

    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    I grew up eating stuff like pigs feet, oxtail stew, beef tongue and thought nothing of it. Recently went to a local meat processor and asked for pigs feet, and I was told they could not sell them.

  5. #45
    Moderator Emeritus


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SW Montana
    Posts
    9,490
    I was raised on beet greens and still can't get enough of them. Yes I prefer them with the young beets attached.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

  6. #46
    Boolit Master Boaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,500
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    There is one thing I haven't seen any comments on like and dislike. And for some reason the folks around here don't prepare them. We generally don't waste much meat . Back in the day we would have a gathering of family and friends for a boucherie' (a hog killing). Used up just about all of the hog, the normal stuff bacon , roasts , hams etc. but also used the head (hogs head cheese ), fried the hog skins (cracklins) , sausage , the liver and heart , rendered the lard out, feet, lips and ears get pickled, hocks get smoked even the stomach was stuffed (Chaudin).
    But there was one part that wasn't ...the testicles ! They seem to be eaten in other areas, rocky mountain oysters...isn't that bull, hog or sheep testicles ? Anyone ever try them and what do they taste like.
    Mom used to say we use up every part of the hog but the squeal....but there was one part I don't remember getting used....maybe there's a reason ?
    Gary
    Mountain oysters are testicels from bulls , calf fries are testicels from young calves . Calf fries are better . Hog fries are good too ...ate plenty of all of them . Turkey testicles (turkey fries) are great ! Use to get em at feeds the oilfield supply stores put on once a year . You can't find em at the stores , they never hit the market locally and you have to buy em in bulk , huge demand for em . Great fried !
    No turning back , No turning back !

  7. #47
    Boolit Master Boaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,500
    Sweetbread is dang good ! Slice and fry slow with salt and pepper . Tastes kind of like a tender pork chop .
    No turning back , No turning back !

  8. #48
    Boolit Man
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Intersection of U.S. 12 & U.S. 71
    Posts
    99
    I'll eat just about everything but I won't eat Brussel sprouts. I've them fixed many different ways and they're still awful. I don't care for beef liver. As a child I had enough zucchini to last a lifetime so I don't eat that either. That's about it for my 'No Fly' list.

  9. #49
    Moderator



    JonB_in_Glencoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    8,963
    Quote Originally Posted by LaPoint View Post
    I'll eat just about everything but I won't eat Brussel sprouts. I've them fixed many different ways and they're still awful. I don't care for beef liver. As a child I had enough zucchini to last a lifetime so I don't eat that either. That's about it for my 'No Fly' list.
    Just curious, have you tried roasted brussels sprouts?
    Crispy on the outside, soft like mild flavored cooked cabbage on the inside
    http://www.food.com/recipe/roasted-b...sprouts-201073

  10. #50
    Boolit Master Boaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,500
    Tripe was mentioned . I have tried to fix tripe several times and failed to come up with anything I would do again . Tripe in itself is more or less tasteless , can be a 'filler' but to its self is just ..nothing . It works well in Tex Mex dishes , mainly menudo which I love if it's homemade but still just something to chew on , adds no flavor I can tell .

    Tripe is cows stomach (pig stomach is called hog maws ) , cleaned cow tripe in a packing house . Found barbed wire , nails ,paper feed sacks and lots of 'stuff' in em . Oddest thig I ever found was a pair of panty hose and 35 cents change in one ..a quarter and a dime . There has to be a story there somewhere !
    No turning back , No turning back !

  11. #51
    Moderator


    MaryB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SW Minnesota
    Posts
    6,705
    Chitlins... walked into a friends house where they were cooking them... I had to go outside because of the stench triggering my gag reflex... PASS, nope, not eating that!

  12. #52
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    West Tennessee
    Posts
    253
    Y'all are making me hungry!

  13. #53
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,063
    Fried chitlins are a favorite, boiled not so much. Great fun can be had( disclaimer, we were in college at the time) by adding just a few corn kernels into the cleaned chitlins before battering and frying. Be sure your future wife does not get one of the specials, you'll never hear the end of the fun little joke! Ah, the good ideas you get after a few beers
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

  14. #54
    Boolit Master


    mold maker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Piedmont (Conover) NC
    Posts
    4,738
    In the last 3/4 century, I've tried almost everything offered. There is a rather small list of things I refuse as long as other fare is available. It appears that the younger you are the less variety we eat. Most younger folks have never known hunger. It has a way of changing your mind.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

  15. #55
    Boolit Master Harter66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Walker Lake Nv. or just about 5 miles west of the exact middle of nowhere.
    Posts
    4,004
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    In the last 3/4 century, I've tried almost everything offered. There is a rather small list of things I refuse as long as other fare is available. It appears that the younger you are the less variety we eat. Most younger folks have never known hunger. It has a way of changing your mind.
    My kids during an unfortunate stretch of my life ate a number .....um..... Oregon trail blue plate specials . For one reason or another they aren't to awfully picky . Rumor has it that tule root salad with dandelion greens and jack rabbit will temper ones appreciation for anything else on the table after a week or 2 .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

    I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992

    About that rally point, the soap and mail boxes fall on blind eyes and deaf ears,the ballot box is manipulated,it would seem we are fast running out options....

  16. #56
    Boolit Master


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    471
    Pineapple and guacamole are the only two things I refuse....pineapple gives me projectile vomiting (allergic to it) and guacamole is nothing more than baby squeezin's, ain't eatin what gets left in a diaper no way, no how. At one time or another I've eaten bout everything that walks, crawls, swims or flies (except for people....far as I know anyway). Not much in vegetation I haven't had as well.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

  17. #57
    Boolit Master Bazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Cecilia, Kentucky
    Posts
    847
    Ill try bout anything. I wont eat meat that is not well done. I will eat stuff I dont like which includes white pork if thats whats been cooked for me.

    Wife says im picky cause I want her to cook things a particular way. That dont mean I wont eat it other ways, but prefer it one way over the other.

  18. #58
    Moderator


    MaryB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    SW Minnesota
    Posts
    6,705
    Was the opposite for me, I grew up eating whatever we could kill/forage to supplement what my parents could afford to buy. Sure we had huge gardens are grew most of what we ate but some times of the year foraging took over(spring is the main one I remember, first fresh spring greens foraged from the woods along the river)... I still forage and eat a lot of what grows wild in my lawn, dandelion greens cooked with a bit of bacon and garlic are some mighty fine eating! I also have pig weed(lambs quarters), stinging nettle, some edible wild ferns in a shaded spot, purslane just off the top of my head.

    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    In the last 3/4 century, I've tried almost everything offered. There is a rather small list of things I refuse as long as other fare is available. It appears that the younger you are the less variety we eat. Most younger folks have never known hunger. It has a way of changing your mind.

  19. #59
    Moderator Emeritus


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SW Montana
    Posts
    9,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Tripe was mentioned . I have tried to fix tripe several times and failed to come up with anything I would do again . Tripe in itself is more or less tasteless , can be a 'filler' but to its self is just ..nothing . It works well in Tex Mex dishes , mainly menudo which I love if it's homemade but still just something to chew on , adds no flavor I can tell .

    Tripe is cows stomach (pig stomach is called hog maws ) , cleaned cow tripe in a packing house . Found barbed wire , nails ,paper feed sacks and lots of 'stuff' in em . Oddest thig I ever found was a pair of panty hose and 35 cents change in one ..a quarter and a dime . There has to be a story there somewhere !
    I had Menudo a few times, chew till you're tired and swallow. I didn't think there was much flavor. Argentines used to grill small intestines, clean the outer layer, turn it inside out and use lye to remove the inner lining then grill it. It was edible with a strong beef flavor. I would not have ordered it but if friends cooked it I was OK with that.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

  20. #60
    Boolit Master Boaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,500
    Depends on who makes the menudo . I wouldn't give canned menudo to my dogs ! Got a lady that makes great menudo , she brings me some at times . She makes huge pots because so many want some . The tripe is easy chewed if it's cooked long enough but I have experienced the same thing you mention and agree .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check