RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Is anyone using a toaster oven for panlubing?

Boolit Buddy

Is anyone using a toaster oven for panlubing?

I and a couple of my friends have started using toaster ovens for panlubing. Once your cake blocks have been preused and have the holes in the cakes you can load your boolits and warm up your lube. Some of the better ovens have more accurate temp controls and its really important to keep your lube not much more than 200 degrees. My understanding is "overheat your lube and it's no good".

So far it's about a third the time of using the double boiler. Prep and cleanup time is almost none. Just so much easier for me.

I just caution everyone on the temps involved to know your individual toasters controls. Try putting your toaster on warm or 200 degrees with a lead pot temperature probe and compare temps so you're aware of how far off the controls are. You just don't want to overheat your lube.

I hope to hear of peoples experiences with this method.

Thanks
    Last edited by kcajeel; 08-10-2017 at 12:37 AM. Reason: misspelling edits

Boolit Master

I used to use the oven in the house. It worked well. Now I sit the pan on top of a single burner and help the melt along with a heat gun. I am probably overheating the lube. I am looking at picking up a toaster oven in the next few months so I can try the Hi-Tek stuff. I will use the oven for pan lubing also.

Banned
    Powder coating is the answer, No smoke, no stink and pretty !

Vendor Sponsor

I use the toster oven but not in this way. Yes, double boiler is slow and better was are available.
    I pan lube but do not like the pre-hole-use the cake over deal.

I use a old coffee maker to store and melt the lube in. About 45 minutes before I plan on lubing a batch I go hit the on button. The lube is always returned to the coffee pot and stays clean. It is the pot's warming burner that heats the lube and it NEVER gets too hot to wreak the lube.

I use bread pans for lubing. From scrap wood that fits the bottom of the bread pan, I drilled shallow holes in a grid to place my bullets upside down in. Full of bullets, hold the wood in one hand and cover with the pan in the other and turn over. Now all the bullets are in neat rows in the bread pan ready to accept hot lube. (remove the wood now - right?)

Now for the oven.
    With one of the lubes I like, it goes best if I pre-heat the bullets a little. I place the pan of bullets in the toaster oven at < 200F for a few minutes and then remove and using the handle on the coffee pot I can pour in the right amount of lube. The lube cake cools off and then I can hang a row of bullets over the edge of the table and just push the bullets into through my other hand. This is Easy, and you have perfectly full lube grooves. No Kake cutter mess! That cutting them out is a deal breaker for me and it is totally unneeded. And no saving the lube cake too - it would take a lot of stored cakes for all the different diameters of bullets lubed. Just bend or break up the caked lube and put it back in the coffee pot to be stored clean for next time.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 08-11-2017 at 11:51 AM.
    Chill Wills

I just use a round shallow Teflon coated pan and use a heat gun after filling the holes from the last batch with boolits. I add lube as needed and are careful to keep from working on one area too long so it doesn't smoke. Takes about 5 minuets to get the lube melted
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member