Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sailboat lead recovery

Boolit Master
    Sunk boats make great artificial reefs and fishing spots tag it with your gps if you go this route.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

I smelted one small keel, it had all kinds of **** as a filler in it, be cautious .

Thanks to everyone for the advise. I am going to have to test the lead for fillers. The price to move it maybe more than the lead is worth when you add the demo work. I am going to have Sea Tow give me a price to move it and go from there. I wish I had access to heavy equipment and a couple acres of land. I will update everyone next week. The reef idea would be great but not legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Pearsons were boats built to meet a price point NOT a standard. Plenty of boats far older than that one are still sailing the world. I would be VERY concerned about what that keel is really made of. Cutting up fiberglass is dangerous and can lead to lung disease. Burning it is worse (remember Kuwait ?). This sounds like a project to walk away from.

Boolit Buddy
    Big boat usually do not come with trailers. Your local marina should have a service for moving big boats.

Boolit Master

What is the owner of the boat paying you to remove it?? For free I would walk away moving boats can get expensive.

Banned
    Geezer has a good point unless your coworker is a good friend, he may be trying to dump his problems onto you.
    Price boat moving
    price place to demo
    figure your time
    price disposal of non-lead parts (dumpster)
    Research how much lead you might get.
    Add up all the numbers then---
    sample the lead to see if it is even worth salvaging.

I'll bet your coworker already knows how much removal and disposal will cost and would be excited to get rid of it for free.

I don't know your co-worker so I can't judge his motives, but, this is a possibility.

Boolit Master
    Grmps makes the most valid point. I cut up a salvged car once. never gonna do that again.

Figure in disposing of toxics. Boat coatings from the 1960s will have an interesting mix of anti fouling materials.

Boolit Master

There are lots of boats that are junk and it wouldn't bother me to see them scrapped. The Triton was the first production fiberglass boat. Way overbuilt because they didn't know how strong fiberglass was back then. It's also a beautiful boat with the lines of a wooden boat. Nothing like the later Pearsons.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I dont know this boat specifically but..... some lead keels are just bolted on, the only cuting would be a caulk/glue type sealant. if he has to pay to get rid of it, possably by the pound, maybe you can get rid of only the keel for him for free. Still a big job, but smaller than getting rid of the whole boat.

Boolit Master

Demolishing and disposing of a 29' sailboat is a pretty expensive job. Most salvage companies down here in S. Florida would easily charge a couple grand, and probably double that. That includes them selling the keel to a scrap yard.

If you already had equipment and a place to tear it down, you may be able to come out on top. But I don't think it'll make financial sense for you in this case.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lots of work. I thought of doing this as once, and then wondered what I would do with 3800 lbs of relatively soft lead.

In order to alloy this to the hardness I wanted I would need 190 to 380 lbs of Linotype.

Boolit Master
    getting rid of the hull is more of a problem than getting380 lbs of linotype.

When first I looked at the boat at his house I told him that it was too large for me to take on. He is a good man and I did not want him waiting on me to do my home work. I figured he would still have the boat for a couple of weeks and he does. I have decided not to take on the project. Grmps and 2wheelDuke are spot on with their advise. Having been an industrial Fireman for years I have access to the PPE needed to do the job. I do not have a good location for the time it would take me to do it. It is expensive to have it moved even if it would only be 7 miles. Access to a backhoe would make it an easy job combined with a roll off container. I feel that would have been my best case scenario. Well for now I will have to wait till my ship comes in. I wish to thank everyone for their great advise and I hope my story helps out someone that is debating on this type of project.

Oh, I forgot to mention that my wife threatened me with an iron skillet if brought the boat home.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk357 View Post
    When first I looked at the boat at his house I told him that it was too large for me to take on. He is a good man and I did not want him waiting on me to do my home work. I figured he would still have the boat for a couple of weeks and he does. I have decided not to take on the project. Grmps and 2wheelDuke are spot on with their advise. Having been an industrial Fireman for years I have access to the PPE needed to do the job. I do not have a good location for the time it would take me to do it. It is expensive to have it moved even if it would only be 7 miles. Access to a backhoe would make it an easy job combined with a roll off container. I feel that would have been my best case scenario. Well for now I will have to wait till my ship comes in. I wish to thank everyone for their great advise and I hope my story helps out someone that is debating on this type of project.

Oh, I forgot to mention that my wife threatened me with an iron skillet if brought the boat home.
    Ha! You have one of those 'Controllers' to dooya?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Blackhawk357;4121819]I have a coworker wanting to give away a 29 foot sailboat. It is a Pearson Triton from the late 60's. It has a lead keel. The boat weights around 8,000 lbs and is currently on wood supports at his house. The boat would have to be removed before any demo / recovery. I am not sure were to start. There is no trailer available for the boat move. Has anyone here recovered lead from a sailboat?

A GOOD FRIEND WOULD GIVE YOU THE KEEL ANYWAY. THE HULL STILL HAS TO BE SCRAPPED. THAT IS THE OWNERS PROBLEM WEATHER HE GIVES YOU THE KEEL OR NOT.

Banned
    I think you made a wise decision. Now spend all the money you were going to put into getting the lead out of the keel into getting good clean lead from this site and take the wife out to dinner, keep her away from those iron skillets for one night.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk357 View Post

I think you made a good call here.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Grand Master

You probably made a good decision. While it is nice to get a large score on some lead and add to your stash, it can be a lot of work. Having access to some equipment is a must. Anything like a backhoe, forklift, front end loader and a way to haul it make for less work. Most of the guys on here that scrap boat keels have the ways and means to deal with the weight. Then you really don't know what kind of lead you are getting. Many of those keels have scrap steel thrown in with the lead. Nuts, bolts, re-bar, ect.

Keep looking! While lead is getting more and more scarce, its still out there. I recently bought 3 bullet molds from a member here, in a face to face meet, and he mentioned that he wanted to thin out his lead stash. We bought 20 buckets of sorted wheelweights and agree to return in a few weeks to buy the rest. With enough patience and persistence you can still find lead at reasonable prices.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast