RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your replacement for SR4759?

What's your replacement for SR4759?

On my last two pounds of SR4759, which I've been using to launch 400 gn boolits out of my 45-70. 28 gns almost fills the case under the boolit and gets me 1500 fps. Works great, but eventually it'll be gone. What are you folks using in place of SR4759, giving about the same fill and performance?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I am not. I ordered 32 pounds on its last run, but, if I needed too I would look at 5574.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-29-2016 at 10:53 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonIvyMagnet View Post
    On my last two pounds of SR4759, which I've been using to launch 400 gn boolits out of my 45-70. 28 gns almost fills the case under the boolit and gets me 1500 fps. Works great, but eventually it'll be gone. What are you folks using in place of SR4759, giving about the same fill and performance?

Take a look at the powder chart on page 4 ---> https://www.grafs.com/uploads/techni...df-file/20.pdf
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Grand Master

I you implying that the op should use Vectan 6 1/2, a pistol powder, as a substitute?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I've used 4759 for a long time and bought a keg when the discontinuance was announced. However, and I've mentioned this before, I'm confident I could come up with loads that shoot just as well by experimenting with powders like Reloder 7, 5744, and H4895.

Looking at the Hodgdon burn rate chart, 5744 and 4227 sit just either side of the 4759. I'm guessing that either may work for me, but thought I'd make use of the knowledge base here on the forum to see what others have tried and been happy with. I'd like to avoid spending money on (yet more) powder that I won't have much use for. If I could have stocked up on 4759 earlier, I would have. Oh well.

Boolit Master
    The Lee 'slide rule' is handy for looking up replacement powders. Pick a couple with about the same burn rate and use the slider to compare bulk (grains vs. cc) so you can find one that gives about the same load density. Double-check it against published data if you can find any, work up loads with all the usual precautions.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Vendor Sponsor

What's your replacement for SR4759?

Black Powder - while we can still get it.
    Chill Wills

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    The Lee 'slide rule' is handy for looking up replacement powders. Pick a couple with about the same burn rate and use the slider to compare bulk (grains vs. cc) so you can find one that gives about the same load density. Double-check it against published data if you can find any, work up loads with all the usual precautions.
    Do you have a pic or link to the "slide rule" you are referring to? Might be a good tool, just not sure what I'm supposed to look for. Thanks

Boolit Master
    Accurate 5744 works very well. Started using IMR 4227 for cast in 1964, still using it in .30-30, .308. Marlin 336 SC with 5744 and 200 grain gives under MOA at 200 yds. Reloder 7 also works well in moderate loads.

Boolit Master
    Accurate 5744

The Lee 'slide rule' comes with the Lee powder measure 'scoops'. It tells you which number for 'scoop' to use for a given weight of a particular powder.(measures volume) Works pretty well, but I use my scales. I' m in the same boat as you on 4759! Flyer

I am using a lot of IMR4198 to push cast boolits, and 45-70 and 444Marlin I use it for every thing

Boolit Master
    http://leeprecision.com/powder-measure-kit.html
    The dipper kit is cheap enough, even if you never use them the slider has come in pretty handy for me.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master
    There is nothing that exactly parallels 4759, but 5744 ($$$) or Reloader 7 have worked well for me. 2400 is what i use the most, though, for reduced loads. 30-30 to 30-06, I have found published loads that work.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Found that dipper kit with the slide rule included online, going to order the set soon. The RL 7 is listed for 45-70 use, but Alliant only lists three loads for 300 and 350 gn bullets. I like Alliant powders, 2400 has become my favorite for the 30-30. I'll just have to do some careful workup to use the RL 7 with my 400 gn boolits. Is it an extruded powder, and if so, is it a short or long cut? Thanks all for the suggestions thus far.

I'm stubbornly refusing to change ... I just keep watching for SR4759 at gun shows or for any old stock on dealers shelves. (I managed to buy 2 more cans at our local gun show this past weekend)
    Last edited by Reverend Al; 11-02-2016 at 02:18 AM.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Super Moderator

I am down to 2 lbs. of SR4759, but bought an 8lb keg of 5744 as a replacement. While not quite as good in my opinion, it does the job pretty well.

I still have roughly 14lbs. of SR4759 left. I'm using it sparingly.....
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Buddy
    With 30-06 I have had good results with 2400, 5744 and imr 4198 in that order. In 30-30 it didn't seem to matter, they all gave good results. The 2400 is almost as hard to find as 4759. IMR 4227 is close but can't quite get the stability of the above powders.
    Tony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast