Inline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Cop die?

Powder Cop die?

Don't have one and have never used one so I don't know anything about them. My question is how accurate or how sensitive are they? Will they detect a .1gr., .2gr., .3gr difference. I ask because I'm thinking about one for my progressive press which I'm only loading pistol cal. on. The powders I'm using are HP-38 and Ramshot Silhouette.

They check by volume in the case and how high the powder fills inside the case.

I think the ones your asking about give a visual indication of the volume in the cases and I doubt seriously they could indicate very closely at all. The wider the case the harder it would be to see smaller volume differences.
    The RCBS Powder Cop I use on my LnL is a 'lockout die', it will stop the press.
    I tried long ago to determine how sensitive it is and, If I remember...I think it was something like +/-1.5 to 2 grains of 700X in a .45ACP case would trip it to the lock out state...that's a lot of volume and almost 50% of the intended charge in the first place. It is not consistent either at a specific level due to the way it samples the level of powder.
    My lockout die Cop is there to detect potential squibs...the only way to detect 'tenths of a grain' differences is the scale.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

I prefer the RCBS lock-out die over the Powder Cop.

If you adjust the RCBS right they're pretty good.

But like OS OK said in wider cases they have a greater margin of error. Make sure you're using the right foot on the stem and it helps.
    Semper Fi!

Currently casting for .223, .308, .30-06, .30-40 Krag, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, 44 Mag and 45 ACP.

I like strange looking boolits!

NRA Patriot Life Endowment member.

Boolit Grand Master

Paging jmorris. He has a video showing how small of a deviation his can detect

Boolit Master
    I also have the RCBS Lockout die(s). I really like this design better as its more than a visual indicator, it will keep the press from cycling. I use one almost exclusively with Silhouette too.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

I have the Powder COP and I use it just to tell me that the powder dropped. My uncle gave me his old progressive and I had a couple of loads that did not drop any powder and the primer going off was just enough to lock the cylinder on my revolver. As I do my sizing and priming off press I had the open spot for this. I have caught one more sense putting it in place.

Yeah I have no clue about these things. I do know that with just the naked eye I cannot physically see a difference between over or under by .2gr of powder. and I know my powder measure is holding at +/- .1gr of the powders I use.

So are these basically being used to check for a missed or double charge or a substantial charge variation?

Boolit Buddy
    Kmw1954, (So are these basically being used to check for a missed or double charge or a substantial charge variation? )
    I use the Powder Cop on my LnL. I load mostly for fun target shooting so I'm not looking for that 1/2 a grain change. I will usually load in the middle of the load, so no high power rounds. So yes it is used for a no drop or a double drop situation. I still check with my scale every 15 rounds.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OK then, guess I will just continue with the way I'm doing it then as on both the turret and progressive I use I can easily see into the charged cases and determine if it was hit or missed. Also do not load to max levels so .1gr either way isn't going to make a huge difference other than in my own mind.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't load with my progressive without the RCBS lockout die installed. It is not intended to catch .1 grain variation but to catch short or double charges and it is very god at that. I depend on the uniflow powder measure to deliver the correct charge and the lockout die to detect powder bridging or more likely press operator errors.

There are basically 4 charges that I throw. One is near max and each one gets hand weighed on the scale, one is a double charge would over flow the case and the 2 others are right below the top of the case so I don't believe a double charge is an issue for me unless I go brain dead. Which leaves a a no charge or low charge which again would be seen easily unless I quite paying attention and got lackadaisical. Which if that happens then it's time to put the press away.

One of the 1st things I tell new loaders is to build a repeatable procedure. That way when something becomes amiss and you get out of rhythm it's very obvious and one should stop to check all work.

Boolit Master
    The RCBS Lockout Die is meant to detect gross overcharge or undercharges but it will trigger with less than a double charge on most powders. It might not with say a very light charge of very fast powder which it pays to be extra careful with such loads. I can tell you that when loading 9mm and a .380 gets through to the press and gets charged, the volumetric difference between 9mm and .380 is more than enough to raise the powder column higher in the brass and it will lock the die up! I have one in every one of my 650 toolheads, I won't load without one.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    Yeah I have no clue about these things. I do know that with just the naked eye I cannot physically see a difference between over or under by .2gr of powder. and I know my powder measure is holding at +/- .1gr of the powders I use.

So are these basically being used to check for a missed or double charge or a substantial charge variation?
    Yes. I have a couple of the Hornady versions I used on a Loadmaster and ended up taking them off because I can see in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Paging jmorris. He has a video showing how small of a deviation his can detect
    Depends on the powder, case and how you have them set up but here is a video of one of mine that can detect slight differences in case volume even though the charge is exact (to the tenth of a grain).

jmorris, exceptional piece of equipment though much more sophisticated than I think I need for my humble volume and use.

For those that have stated they would not use a progressive press w/o one.

I am glad it brings you confidence and peace of mind by using it. As for myself I just don't see or feel the need. Just one more thing to watch and rely on. Yes I also use a three hole Red progressive press and it's been quite reliable regardless of what some may say or think of it. It may not be as fast or sophisticated as some but it works just fine for what I do.

I feel very confident about the procedure I use and the equipment I have. I go slowly and am diligent in what I do. At this time I use the Lee press with out that case feeder on it so yes that also takes more time but also gives me more time to pay attention to what is going on and just leaves one less thing I have to watch and adjust.

So everyone stay safe, enjoy what you are doing and share the joy in life.

For those that have stated they would not use a progressive press w/o one.

I am glad it brings you confidence and peace of mind by using it.
    I have more presses without powder check capabilities than I have ones that do. However, when I can I always use them.

It's a redundancy and that's not a bad thing. Kind of like wiping your butt and taking a shower or eating right and letting the doctor check you out. If there is a chance it can save me money or skin, I'll take it.

Banned
    I use a bore scope plugged into my tablet attached to my progressive press when reloading pistol calibers, at a glance, you can tell if the charge is more than a little off.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I have more presses without powder check capabilities than I have ones that do. However, when I can I always use them.

It's a redundancy and that's not a bad thing. Kind of like wiping your butt and taking a shower or eating right and letting the doctor check you out. If there is a chance it can save me money or skin, I'll take it.
    No argument from me! After 50years of smoking I was finally able to quit after I had my 1st bypass this spring. Been 18 weeks smoke free and I know I should have quit long before this! The money I'm saving from not smoking is now being spent on range time and reloading supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    I am glad it brings you confidence and peace of mind by using it.

So everyone stay safe, enjoy what you are doing and share the joy in life.
    BTW I did mean that in a sincere way and not sarcastically or in a mean spirit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast