WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Parker Hale Volunteer advice

Boolit Mold
    Does anyone know what the thread pitch is on the ramrod of these new Volunteers? I check mine at a local home improvement store and swear it was 12-24 but don't see any bullet pullers, etc. with that thread pitch/count. Second question - where best to find bronze brushes and wool mops for cleaning? Thanks!

Boolit Man

Cool Thread Sive

Hello, I never looked at the threads on my ramrods until I saw your question. I use a brass range rod for loading and cleaning my frontloaders.
    I am not sure who made your new Volunteer rifle. Is your rifle a new Pedersoli Volunteer ? Or is it a Euroarms or Parker-Hale ? In any case I checked the ramrod threads on my Pedersoli Whitworth rifle and they are 5mmx.8. I also checked the threads on the end of the ramrods on my English made Parker-Hale Volunteer rifles (and muskets, the ramrod threads are the same). The thread appears to be 12-28, however the thread is not a true American thread this was determined by trying to thread Dewey 12/28 cleaning rod adapters on to Parker-Hale ramrods. The Dewey jags and adapters thread on to the ramrods about 1/4 of a inch, that tells me they are not quite the same.
    Buy or make a brass or Derlin range rod for 10/32 jags and your ramrod issues are fixed.
    Good Luck !

Boolit Mold
    Hi guys, remember me.... Hard to believe but I actually finally shot my Volunteer and it was great. Thing's a tack driver. Can't wait to get it in the woods this winter. One little challenge - the 450 gr .451 bullets I ordered from Buffalo Arms were REALLY HARD to load. Do I need to re-size to .450 (and, if so, how do I do that?) or do i need to buy a bullet starter or Plan C? Really appreciate all the insight I get from everyone!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie55 View Post
    Hi guys, remember me.... Hard to believe but I actually finally shot my Volunteer and it was great. Thing's a tack driver. Can't wait to get it in the woods this winter. One little challenge - the 450 gr .451 bullets I ordered from Buffalo Arms were REALLY HARD to load. Do I need to re-size to .450 (and, if so, how do I do that?) or do i need to buy a bullet starter or Plan C? Really appreciate all the insight I get from everyone!
    Maybe your bullets are over-sized? I use a .451" Lee push through sizer on the bullets I cast for my PH Volunteer, which works great. I've never needed a bullet starter, but I also use a range rod and not the ramrod.
    Are you loading the usual way, that is, powder dropped thru a long tube into the patent breech, then seating a wad, wiping with a damp patch, then seating the bullet? Any powder fouling makes it tough to start a snug bullet in that gun.

Boolit Man

Bullet Size

Hi Rookie55,
    I agree with fgd135's post. Your barrel should be wiped after charging and seating a wad. The bullets you ordered from Buffalo Arms may be cast with 20 to 1 alloy, which is the alloy I use, 20 to 1 is harder than pure lead (much). Anyway the proper bullet fit for target shooting is one which just slides down the bore, the loading rod just makes sure the bullet is seated on the wad. Pin Gages are the best way to check diameter of the bore, however another way is to force a oversize lead bullet in the muzzle about 3/8 of a inch then grab the part of the bullet sticking out of the muzzle with pliers and give it a full turn. That portion of bullet which was turned down is the bore size. Measure it and get a Lee push-thru sizer which is a .0005 to .001 smaller than bore diameter. I use a .450.
    Good Luck
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    I should add that my 16-bore rifle does not lift the hammer either. This gun shoots a patched 435 grain ball using 120 grains of FFFg. When the hammer starts to lift I'll replace the nipple, which I last did about three years ago.

Attachment 217014
    Oh that is very nice! I would like to see many more pictures of your rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    Oh that is very nice! I would like to see many more pictures of your rifle.
    Thank you. Here's a few. If the Photo Bucket advertising is too distracting, I can re-post the originals.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-hunting-rifle

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Tony and fgd135. No, I didn't use a drop tube or wipe down. Was tight from the first shot but I'll try those two tricks as well as your insight to proper sizing. Is there a better source of bullets? I'll let you know how it goes.

what is the suggested length of the drop tube for the Volunteer rifle,I use a drop tube when loading BP Cartridge but think it is to short.
    Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123