Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Metal used in Moulds ?

Boolit Master

I have quite a few aluminum molds, mostly lee but a number of custom's as well and I do like aluminum. I have a few brass that work very well but they are heavy. I have 1 iron mold, an old Ideal, I rarely use it. I have owned iron molds years ago and they worked well but aluminum is easier to use for long casting sessions.

Boolit Master
    Never used a brass mold. Sold my last rcbs mold. Still using my first lee aluminum mold. I prefer aluminum over steel, I get much better bullets. It my just be the way I cast or the type of bullets I'm casting, but the aluminum out performs steel for me.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm with MT Chambers. My exact choices and sentiments.

First choice is iron. I like iron. I used to live on the coast and it was humid but I never had a mould rust. I coat them with oil after casting. Never had any issues with the oil, just wipe it off then pre-heat the mould almost to the melting point of lead then start casting.

If anyone thinks aluminum or brass moulds don't need to be taken care of they are wrong. The aluminum and brass moulds have steel sprue plates and steel pins that will rust even if the moulds don't. A rusted sprue plate will cut up the top of aluminum moulds in very little time and won't do brass moulds much good either.

All three can produce good boolits and people like all three for their own reasons. I own all three types and a couple of other materials used in my home made moulds. My preference though is for 2 cavity iron moulds.

Different strokes but don't let the "rust thing" make your decision for you. Take care of a mould in any of those materials and they will last a lifetime.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Once you get arthritis in your hands you will find MiHec's four cavity brass molds to be a real love/hate thing. You will love the quality but will hate the weight if you're pouring a whole potful.

All things considered I prefer casting with aluminum, but I would choose a high quality mold or an exclusive design over other options regardless of the materials used.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12