Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Looking for loads with 358429 or Ranch Dog 180 in the Rossi 92 (357)

Boolit Master

Looking for loads with 358429 or Ranch Dog 180 in the Rossi 92 (357)

Anyone out there find an accurate load with either of these two or other heavy boolits?

I was so unimpressed with my results that I set her back in the safe.

I do have trouble with those buckhorn sights for some reason.

Changing them out or mounting a receiver sight may fix some of my problem.

Whats your say on it?
    Last edited by TCLouis; 08-10-2017 at 11:35 PM. Reason: correct spelling
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I'm working with on similar load for my 16" R92 in .357 mag. Mine is the NOE 360-180 (188 gr w/GC and lube) and either AA#9 or A2400. My cartridge guides won't let the long OAL bullet (even crimped in the front crimp groove to 1.601 oal) pass through the action, and I don't have the ability to dismantle and reshape the guides now. So, I asked an expert for some help in working up a magnum load (loads for AA#9 or A2400) using the 180's in 38spl brass. To rear crimp groove my loads ended up at a very usable 1.54 oal, although with only ave velocity of 1384 fps (using AA#9). I haven't had the time to try the A2400 yet. The AA#9 loads, with my terrible vision, at 50 yards off of a shooting bag rest on the bench were about 1.8 inch (10 shots - 5 through the chrony and 5 not). Your R92 may cycle the longer oal of the .357 mag brass loads as many will.

I'd also be interested in what everyone's experience with these 180's has been.

jd

Banned

Michael/Ranch Dog has load data for all his bullets
    Use it
    My Rossi 92s will feed the RD 180, but they have been tuned
    Michael also has two forums, one for Lee products and one for Rossi products
    Good sources of information

Boolit Master

With max loads of 296 per the Lyman cast bullet manual I was only able to get 3-5" groups @100 yds with 358429. The Rossi 30" twist was the main factor in the poor grouping. My Winchester .357 with the 16" twist was consistently 3"@100yds with that same load and did well out to 200 yds on our gong. The Rossi fell apart at the longer range. The 358429 is a long bullet!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

I recently shot my 16" Rossi using the Lee 358-200 over 10grs of 2400. Great load shot 1.5" groups at 50yds but didn't have the Chrono set up.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Pick one from this loading data ... http://reloadammo.com/357loads.htm
    Regards
    John