RotoMetals2Graf & SonsInline FabricationTitan Reloading
StainLess Steel MediaMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision

Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 6000 USD, Received: 5345 USD (89%)
WE HAVE REACHED OUR GOAL! THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED CONTRIBUTE AND KEEP US GOING!
Our Annual server fund drive is going on now! This donation drive helps fund Cast Boolits for an entire year, and helps support our 2nd amendment rights! You can donate by Paypal by clicking the DONATE button. Or by Cash / Check / MO to the address below:

Willy Snyder
PO Box 2732
Pocatello, ID 83206
****Due to overwhelming e-mails, I will be very slow in updating this list. Please bear with me!****

Thread: shot shells for 480 Ruger

shot shells for 480 Ruger

Has anyone loaded snake loads for the 480?

Boolit Master
    Easy AS Pie.
    Prime the case.
    Add approximately 6.0 grains of American Select, Unique, 20/28, etc
    1 each 50 Cal Muzzle Loader Over Powder Felt Wad. Seat with 3/8 Dowel Rod (Felt Wad is app .0130 thick)
    Add approximately 150 grains of shot (7.5, 8, or 9) Fill till you only have enough room to seat the Gas Check.
    Install Gas Check Cup Down
    Add Roll Crimp.

Out of my Alaskan this is a Super Snake Load. At 5 feet it will put down a uniform pattern in about a 6" Circle. The Gas Check and Wadd will blow a hole in the center of the pattern.
    I worked with several different combinations of wads, and this worked the best.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Viper225 View Post
    Easy AS Pie.
    Prime the case.
    1 each 50 Cal Muzzle Loader Over Powder Felt Wad. Seat with 3/8 Dowel Rod (Felt Wad is app .0130 thick)
    Add approximately 150 grains of shot (7.5, 8, or 9) Fill till you only have enough room to seat the Gas Check.
    Add Roll Crimp.

Out of my Alaskan this is a Super Snake Load. At 5 feet it will put down a uniform pattern in about a 6" Circle. The Gas Check and Wadd will blow a hole in the center of the pattern.

Bob
    Any primer set back with this light a load? With this light a load in other calibers I have had the primer back out.

Boolit Master
    That sounds fun Viper. Does the felt wad sit right on top of the powder? I dont have any unique but Im pretty sure I have some HP-38 and Universal.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Easy AS Pie.
    Prime the case.
    Add Roll Crimp.

Bob
    Only problem I see in this is I am never found within 5 feet of any snake for more than about .21 seconds. Usain Bolt should hope for such reaction time and acceleration...
    KDK
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Master
    No Primer Set Back.
    Bagged 2 Copperheads yesterday while brush hogging the horse pasture next door. Both were in the 7 - 10 foot range. The longer shot at app 10 feet took 2 shots for it to quit moving. The first one was close to mountable. It was a thumper, over 30 Inches.

The Felt Wad is pressed down on the powder charge firmly with a 3/8 dowel. Add all the shot you can get in the case and keep the gas check below the case mouth enough to roll crimp.
    Press the Gas Check down on the shot charge, and crimp.

Bob

Did a small test with out drilled flash holes, primer was raised slightly.

Next was 45/70 cases cut down on the rim and trimmed to equal a loaded cartridge, when I fire formed these I got lots of primer setback.

Try 3 was with 480 case with drilled flash holes and milk carton over powder wad in place of Viper225's load. Worked great, zero set back and great pattern.

Next up is drilled flash holes on the 45/70 cases, looking for max shot capacity and to see if I can make bottle neck shot loads for the 480 just be cause they look so cool. Not sure what I am going to use for over shot cards. I don't know if 458 gas checks are going to be big enough.

Boolit Master
    I hate to ask dumb questions, but why are you drilling out the flash hole??
    I have only done that for Wax Loads, propelled by the primer only.

The 45-70 case may work out. It would sure up the shot count going to cylinder length.

Bagged 2 more copperheads Tuesday. That is 4 in two days. I put in about 5 hours mowing today and only saw 2 non-poisonous snakes.

Bob
    Last edited by Viper225; 08-17-2017 at 12:08 AM.

Drilling the primer holes to ensure zero primer set back with the light loads, had a couple that locked the cylinder up in an earlier try. Maybe overkill, but this brass will never be loaded with anything but shot loads.

I hate to ask dumb questions, but why are you drilling out the flash hole??
    I have only done that for Wax Loads, propelled by the primer only.

The 45-70 case may work out. It would sure up the shot count going to cylinder length.

Bagged 2 more copperheads Tuesday. That is 4 in two days. I put in about 5 hours mowing today and only saw 2 non-poisonous snakes.

Bob
    Boy, I like cold, poisonous snakes don't do well in Michigan. There is a small rattler in Michigan that is extremely rare, I have never seen in my life.