MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationPBcastcoRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shot shells for 480 Ruger

shot shells for 480 Ruger

Has anyone loaded snake loads for the 480?

Boolit Buddy
    Easy AS Pie.
    Prime the case.
    Add approximately 6.0 grains of American Select, Unique, 20/28, etc
    1 each 50 Cal Muzzle Loader Over Powder Felt Wad. Seat with 3/8 Dowel Rod (Felt Wad is app .0130 thick)
    Add approximately 150 grains of shot (7.5, 8, or 9) Fill till you only have enough room to seat the Gas Check.
    Install Gas Check Cup Down
    Add Roll Crimp.

Out of my Alaskan this is a Super Snake Load. At 5 feet it will put down a uniform pattern in about a 6" Circle. The Gas Check and Wadd will blow a hole in the center of the pattern.
    I worked with several different combinations of wads, and this worked the best.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Viper225 View Post
    Easy AS Pie.
    Prime the case.
    1 each 50 Cal Muzzle Loader Over Powder Felt Wad. Seat with 3/8 Dowel Rod (Felt Wad is app .0130 thick)
    Add approximately 150 grains of shot (7.5, 8, or 9) Fill till you only have enough room to seat the Gas Check.
    Add Roll Crimp.

Out of my Alaskan this is a Super Snake Load. At 5 feet it will put down a uniform pattern in about a 6" Circle. The Gas Check and Wadd will blow a hole in the center of the pattern.

Bob
    Any primer set back with this light a load? With this light a load in other calibers I have had the primer back out.

Boolit Master
    That sounds fun Viper. Does the felt wad sit right on top of the powder? I dont have any unique but Im pretty sure I have some HP-38 and Universal.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Easy AS Pie.
    Prime the case.
    Add Roll Crimp.

Bob
    Only problem I see in this is I am never found within 5 feet of any snake for more than about .21 seconds. Usain Bolt should hope for such reaction time and acceleration...
    KDK
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Buddy
    No Primer Set Back.
    Bagged 2 Copperheads yesterday while brush hogging the horse pasture next door. Both were in the 7 - 10 foot range. The longer shot at app 10 feet took 2 shots for it to quit moving. The first one was close to mountable. It was a thumper, over 30 Inches.

The Felt Wad is pressed down on the powder charge firmly with a 3/8 dowel. Add all the shot you can get in the case and keep the gas check below the case mouth enough to roll crimp.
    Press the Gas Check down on the shot charge, and crimp.

Bob

Did a small test with out drilled flash holes, primer was raised slightly.

Next was 45/70 cases cut down on the rim and trimmed to equal a loaded cartridge, when I fire formed these I got lots of primer setback.

Try 3 was with 480 case with drilled flash holes and milk carton over powder wad in place of Viper225's load. Worked great, zero set back and great pattern.

Next up is drilled flash holes on the 45/70 cases, looking for max shot capacity and to see if I can make bottle neck shot loads for the 480 just be cause they look so cool. Not sure what I am going to use for over shot cards. I don't know if 458 gas checks are going to be big enough.

Boolit Buddy
    I hate to ask dumb questions, but why are you drilling out the flash hole??
    I have only done that for Wax Loads, propelled by the primer only.

The 45-70 case may work out. It would sure up the shot count going to cylinder length.

Bagged 2 more copperheads Tuesday. That is 4 in two days. I put in about 5 hours mowing today and only saw 2 non-poisonous snakes.

Bob
    Last edited by Viper225; 08-17-2017 at 12:08 AM.

Drilling the primer holes to ensure zero primer set back with the light loads, had a couple that locked the cylinder up in an earlier try. Maybe overkill, but this brass will never be loaded with anything but shot loads.

I hate to ask dumb questions, but why are you drilling out the flash hole??
    I have only done that for Wax Loads, propelled by the primer only.

The 45-70 case may work out. It would sure up the shot count going to cylinder length.

Bagged 2 more copperheads Tuesday. That is 4 in two days. I put in about 5 hours mowing today and only saw 2 non-poisonous snakes.

Bob
    Boy, I like cold, poisonous snakes don't do well in Michigan. There is a small rattler in Michigan that is extremely rare, I have never seen in my life.

Boolit Master
    Even cheaper, is use a 1/2" hole punch to cut card wads from scrap cardboard.
    Use a card wad over shot and crimp in place. 5-6gr of Bullseye powder.

Saves 5cents on gas checks. No need to buy wads. Corregated cardboard works great as over powder wad. Solid cardboard allows more shot. This is a low pressure load. Doesn't flatten or crater primers. Seats case back against breech face to prevent backed out primers dragging or tying up action.

I use 7/16" wads in .44mag and .45colt with .4oz shot in .410 to shoot squirrels and blackbirds.
    MUCH cheaper than reloading.410 hulls with plastic wads and shotshell primers over 2x of slower burn rate powders.

Boolit Buddy
    Where would one get a 1/2" hole punch device?

Boolit Bub
    [QUOTE=denul;4333092]Where would one get a 1/2" hole punch device?[/https://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-hollow-punch-set-3838.html

Boolit Master
    I like the idea of using .45-70 cases to make cartridge-length shotshells! That would be a perfect use for Hornady's too-short brass!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    IIRC you can fill a .45 acp case and put hot glue on the top. Load as usual.
    Kinda like filling a .40 S&W case with lead and using it for a boolit for a .44 mag.
    I know that a .40 makes a great boolit for the .44.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Anyone moved forward on using 45-70 brass, full cylinder length?

I have got 10 pieces of Hornady brass done, thinned the rim thickness and turned down rim diameter.
    Run that into the Hornady crimp die and it will fit very nice into the 480 Blackhawk cylinder. Need trimmed to length, no biggy.

I am going to use 45 caliber cardboard over powder wads. Use two of the same to crimp over the top of shot.

Going to try titegroup for powder.

Any input, I am all ears.
    Jeff

Boolit Master
    Well here was the one recipe I came up with

Hornady 45-70 case, reworked full cylinder length
    Standard large pistol primer
    Titegroup 5.0 grains
    Vegetable fiber over powder wad
    71/2 shot(all I had for now) ended up 290 grain payload + or -
    45 caliber gas check over shot wad
    300 WSM die put a very nice roll crimp on the mouth

Only one loaded.
    Patterned very nice at five big paces.
    Tied up the cylinder though.

Drill flash hole and try again?

Any of you that have prior experience I am all ears.

Jeff

Boolit Master
    I have read where some are spraying the shot with Hornady one shot. I am wondering if anyone has tried thinned out alox or some of the floor waxes to be of any benefit.
    Jeff

Boolit Master
    Well this project is back on the bench.
    What size drill bit to open up flash holes would those in the know suggest?
    Jeff

Boolit Mold
    I've got a box of 5-in-1 brass that I bought by mistake. Going to try making shotshells from that and firing them in a 410/45 LC derringer. For wads I used a hole punch at work that cuts out discs that are roughly 7/16 in diameter. Made a bunch out of cereal box material.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast