Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shot shells for 480 Ruger

Boolit Master
    1) The maximum distance a snake can strike is 1/2 its body length To be a threat at a distance of 7-10 feet the snake would have needed to be 14-20 feet long.

2) It is illegal to kill snakes, even copperheads, in Missouri.

Boolit Mold
    I tried the 5-in-1 brass using 6.5 grains of unique, topped with an overpowder card, topped with as much 7.5 shot as I could fill the case with, topped with an overshot card. Topped that off with some Elmer's glue to hold everything in. Tried them in a single shot 45 LC/410 derringer today. Only tried 5 rounds, all of them worked fine. I only tested for function and didn't really check for pattern or penetration. It seems to shoot about a foot low at 10 feet.

The 5-in-1 brass already has an oversized flash hole of approximately 9/64 diameter. The cases are a good bit longer than 45 LC cases. The 5-in-1 cases are 1.55" vs 1.28" for 45 colt. They are obviously not as long as a 410 shell. The diameter (.43" at the mouth) is also smaller than either a 45 LC or 410 shell, but that didn't appear to matter for function. There is some noticeable expansion of a few thousandths at the case mouth after firing.

Overall, I'm pleased with this so far and will experiment further. Just glad I found a use for this 5-in-1 brass.

Boolit Bub
    How does the spread compare from a round that uses a plastic wadding/cup to one that does not, from a rifled pistol barrel? I'm wondering what will work best in my 7.5" Super Redhawk.

Boolit Master
    Snakes, including copperheads, are protected in Missouri. Not lawful to kill them.

Boolit Master
    Anyone done anything more on the 480 shot loads? Got some things out of the way and I can get back on this again for a while. I never did drill my flash holes, I will review what others have done.

Boolit Master
    This is intriguing for sure but I have a 6" Tuarus Judge that shoots 2.5" 410 and its killer on small rodents and snakes. Sounds like someone needs to make a shot cup like Speer had for the 44 mag 45 colt it would add substantial shot to the mighty 480. Maybe some drilled out poly rod diameter smaller than the case ID so it can extend into the throat and a crimping groove?

Similar to these for the 45 colt http://https://www.midwayusa.com/pro...colt-box-of-25

Boolit Buddy

I’ve done the following for 45 Colt snake loads when there was no plastic capsule.

Load a light charge of 231, seat a gas check over the powder. Fill the case with shot and seat another gas check, upside down and crimp in place. Works great, kills snakes dead, never had any primer problems and I always used my odds and ends brass for this.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    I’ve done the following for 45 Colt snake loads when there was no plastic capsule.

Load a light charge of 231, seat a gas check over the powder. Fill the case with shot and seat another gas check, upside down and crimp in place. Works great, kills snakes dead, never had any primer problems and I always used my odds and ends brass for this.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...oads-that-WORK!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Quote Originally Posted by JSH View Post
    I have read where some are spraying the shot with Hornady one shot. I am wondering if anyone has tried thinned out alox or some of the floor waxes to be of any benefit.
    Jeff
    Getting the shovel out for this one, first, I did have success with the 45-70 cylinder length loads. But they were for a buddy and I didn't write down the particulars. And he retired and moved 5 hours away. Need to call him and have him read what I put on the box of loaded ammo.

I'm going to load up some 45 ACP loads in 308 brass, I have the same question about lubing the shot, I'm thinking something along the lines of Ben's Liquid Lube. Batch of shot in tub, add BLL and swirl.

Sound plan of action? Or waste or time?

Haven't been able to find out if anybody else lubes shot for pistol loads.

Boolit Mold
    I’m finishing a 480 RedHawk
    Going to cut it for moon clips and use 284 brass blown out.

Boolit Master

Old thread I see.
    I've been building shotshells for my Uberti 45 Evil Roy, and my Winchester 45 Colt AE Trapper. Using cut down 460 S&W cases. To keep the shot from leading the barrel, I make a paper tube (tracing velum) inserted in the case to encase the shot. These cartridges carry what the 2.5" 410 shotshell carries, with a few more pellets. 220 grains of #9.
    Last edited by littlejack; 12-16-2023 at 10:51 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12