Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Hamicde!

Boolit Master

Hamicde!

Went to woods today down near Allendale SC on the Savannah river to my old hog haunt. Been a while. Weather: 90* with heat index of 104. not a breath of wind this morning so you can imagine. Took new Savage 220 with Uncle Dino's plastic base 20 ga 3/4oz slugs over 43 grn Lil Gun ~ 1700 fps. 870 pump with full choke and my "perfect" buckshot load.

1st encounter: Made a loop about 1/2 mile near an old oxbow that usually hold pigs.
    Reminder to self: It's not usually the one you see that busts you. Yep, I saw one move on the other side of a recent blowdown and was trying to get a shot and woof, another one made me and they both blew out. I took a running shot through the top, miss.

2nd encounter: Drove further down in the swamp where there's some pretty open areas sided by a big, mostly dry slough. Quickly had a broadside shot on about 150 pounder, offhand, 80 or 90 yds. Could have gotten closer but wanta see what this slug will do. Dang gotta do something about this ultra light trigger! Bad hit, no blood, outta sight through the swamp.

3rd encounter: Reminder to self: take more bullets! Kept walking toward the river down a slough, over a hump, downanother slough and so on for about a mile. Another reminder: take more water! Soaking by now. But caught movement in the sandy end of a long slough and got about 60 yd from a buff/spotted sow, 150 lbs. Could see two more hogs. Propped on a tree and boom! Knew I hit her but hogs went everywhere. Took another shot just as she dissappeared in the palmettos. Look back to where hog was originally standing and there's one spinning in the sand on it's side. How about a 2for! Had to administer a coup de grace before I tracked the other. This was a 40 lb snack pig that was on the other side of the one I shot and never saw!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	201359
    Hit the palmettos and reed cane looking for the real target, only got about 30 yds in and see a black hog, cant' tell heads from tails in the thick stuff from 10 yds. Finally guessed right.

Views:	59 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	201360
    Go about 50 more yds and hogs are back and forth in front of me, confused about the noise I get on one quick, about 40 yds.

Views:	57 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	201363
    Hogs actually run toward me, click! Load, boom. Hog goes down squealing, Looks down for the count. I'm about to pass out I'm so sweaty hot. I've got a wounded hog, one slug left on me and in this thick stuff, really need water, so make the longish slog bacl to the truck for water and a change of weapons: gimme buckshot!About 45 min. later I can drive not far from where this mayhem took place, and start tracking the original hog I shot with the 870. Don't go far and there she lay,,,,but she stands up and huffs and took a load of buck in the head for her troubles. This was a pass through that killed the pig behind her, an hour later. Look at that entry and tell me a hog ain't tough!

Views:	77 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	201364
    Cramping up pretty bad so no pic of the other one I shot. Did spot this little 4 footer out for a stroll later.

Views:	65 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	201365
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Now that's the way to bring home the bacon! D

Boolit Grand Master
    What fun!!! Are the hogs real trouble there? Seems like a lot of action. Well done

Great Hunt! I wish we had piggies where I hunt.

BB

Boolit Grand Master
    Heat and I do not play nice. Hunting in heat would be bad enough....gutting and carrying out the meat would not be fun at all!

Lived in GA for a short time and never could acclimate to the heat and humidity.

You had a good hunt Hogtamer! Thanks for sharing.
    Don Verna

Would love to see some of that action, come winter. Me and heat/humidity don't do well.

Nice shootin!

Boolit Master

For you guys that don't have feral hogs in your area, here's a pretty good article from Alabama about the problem. Take a look at that portion of a field that looks like a mortar range and imagine tryi g to plant something there. I have seen 50 acre fields like that. Pretty good for nutgrass and johnson grass control though! One thing that is complete balderdash in the article though, that hogs don't travel. Mast production is inconsistent from year to year. This is the "rooting" time of the year. But when acorns start falling (their main diet) they are constantly on the move, vacuuming the crop from tree to tree, county to county, state to state. Precisely 2 things motivate hogs, food and reproduction. Yes there have been a few goofballs who move trapped pigs to some other location for hunting purposes but that is miniscule in the scope of feral hog expansion. No they can't fly but they are great swimmers as their hollow bristles are better than a life jacket. A 300 yd. wide river is no obstacle if they smell a cornfield on the other side. Lord knows I love to hunt them but they are destructive to the habitat beyond belief of those who don't know them. Like that little gator....he was on a sand hill road 1/2 mile from the nearest mudhole, looking for new territory.
    http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...oblem_can.html
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Precisely 2 things motivate hogs, food and reproduction.

I know a few people that work on the same premis.

Add hunting with boolits to the list and I would be happy.
    The road less traveled ain't for the faint of heart

Boolit Grand Master

Good piggies, good hunting story, good job!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbeans View Post
    Great Hunt! I wish we had piggies where I hunt.

BB
    You really don't. They quickly take over and ruin everything in their area.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    Do you eat those or it that the East Coast equivalent of varmint hunting?

Hogtamer. You are having too much fun. Stop that immediately!!
    Cap'n Morgan

Hogtamer, i have good recipes for salt curing hog hams and the back muscles(steak muscles). (it may be hot now, but if you have an extra refrugerator....) I live in Chianti wine country in Italy, and we had to fence (6 ft) a 6 acre vineyard or they would eat all the grapes and no wine to sell!!! Way to go. Since april, i got 8 and my brother 19. They are becoming a varmint here as well.

Vendor Sponsor

congrads on a great day in the field or swamp as it were .. hope you got at least a little of that meat home
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Rockin' and rollin' in hog heaven.
    Nicely done Hal!!!
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Bub
    One night of trapping here in North Alabama a couple of months ago. Body count: 14 including piglets. A few lil uns got away but most had lead in em and were probably coyote food by morning.

Pork chop sandwiches!!
    Yummy

Boolit Master
    Considering the heat are you able to butcher any of them in time to prevent spoilage?

Boolit Master

It's possible if you're younger and prepared! I'm not and wasn't this day so they fed the buzzards and coyotes. Blowflys on them quick. I do purpose to put up a couple at least every year for sausage (fat added and well cooked) or special occasion BBQs for a bunch of guys.
    Leonard Ravenhill