Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersPBcastco
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: 9.3X62 gas checks

9.3X62 gas checks

was looking at them at aa couple websites and they state max shank size is .353. my question is when I order a mold from accurate, is it best to have the gc shank made at .353? or would .352 or even .351 be better? seems with the .353 shank, I would get a better stronger crimp, but I might have trouble getting it started. I wouldn't want to go too small, so I was thinking .352. if anyone can help me decide I would be very grateful!!! thanks-Travis
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Grand Master

PM Blammer. I got my 9.3gc's from him. He will steer you right and sell you what you need at a good price.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

thank you! I will do that right now-Travis

Boolit Buddy
    I have Accurate molds 36-285B and use Blammers gator checks no problem never had any come off, I ordered the mould as is with no changes
    I cast soft and hard boolits don't have any dramas with GC fitting, Tom has it sorted very well just go with whats in the catalogue

kiwi- when you crimp on the forward band, does the base of the boolit and gas check extend into the chamber? I am now considering getting 285C, but I would have him lengthen the front driving band by.10 to get more groove riding surface. I really like having a crimp groove. oh, do you mean 37-285B, a 9.3mm?

I have the 37-285C and love it , I would try some before I ask Tom to make any changes, I have serval molds from him and have al ways just told him what mold I want and the dia. I want it to drop from the mold for the driving bands and the bore ride, he does a fist class job of getting the rest of it right including the gas check shank.

well, when I get my rifle could PM you and trouble you for a few to try? I'd really appreciate it!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    kiwi- when you crimp on the forward band, does the base of the boolit and gas check extend into the chamber? I am now considering getting 285C, but I would have him lengthen the front driving band by.10 to get more groove riding surface. I really like having a crimp groove. oh, do you mean 37-285B, a 9.3mm?
    Yes I did mean 37-285B, I would get the front band made longer if I got another one mine has a long throat, the GC is in the neck quite comfortably, loading 20.0 grs 2400
    very nice to shoot at about 1400fps

Gator 9.3 checks measure .353" inside.
    OSD is .371" and .373" at the bell mouth.

My standard 9.3 shank diameter is .352-" (negative tolerance) with Linotype. I calibrate my GC shanks for lino no matter what alloy my customer specifies, so that the GC can always be installed without use of a hammer no matter what alloy might be chosen in the future.

This means that on the other side of the alloy spectrum, pure lead, your shank diameter will actually be a bit less than .351" diameter.
    So, you would need to size the GC down by .002" to get a grip, which means the GC will be loose, with pure lead, unless sized to .369" or larger.
    That's pretty large for a 9.3mm.

Naturally, I can customize your shank size, but there are factors to consider.
    If you try for maximum size, GC installation will be extremely difficult with even an otherwise invisible amount of flashing at the bullet base.
    And, all the extra swaging that the shank receives as it is reduced from .353" to, say, .349" (.368" finished bullet diameter) just means a slightly deformed and weakened shank.

Extra squeeze doesn't mean extra tight, since the lead just swages down.

hey tom! thanks for the info, are other gas checks (brass) sized the same, do you know? its good to know that gator checks are a sure thing though! have a good'un!-Travis

A lot more GC makers are popping up recently. I haven't measured any other 9.3s than Gators, though.

Another option, of course, is to use Hornady 375s. The normal 375 shank is .354", so they easily fit on the .352" shank and swage on tight because they are a bit thicker.

huh, I would have thought the would end up looser, does the bas bow out after you size them onto the boolit?

Hornady 375 GCs are .382" OSD and .355" ISD, making them .0135" thick, compared to Gator 9.3s at .009" thick.

So, after sizing to, say, .368" OSD, the ISD and the bullet shank have both been reduced to less than .341" diameter.

If that ain't tight, nothing is.

I've never installed a 375 GC on a 9.3" myself, so cannot comment on the resultant deformation. I do know that it has been done successfully for decades, since the Gators are a quite recent addition.
    I'm sure the walls thicken and lengthen, lengthening especially because entering into the sizing die creates a new location for the 90 degree base.

hey, when I order a mold from you, I was wondering, I use an alloy oof 3.5sb-3.5sn-.3-4%cu (copper) I know copper grows a bit, so what alloy should I choose, should I select linotype, or just tell you what I just now told you?

For odd alloys, just select "other" and then write what you just told me in "Special notes".

If the alloy is odd enough, I'll tell you that all I can do is guess. Happens sometimes.

hey could you read my thread in molds?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    hey could you read my thread in molds?
    Saw 9.3 mm/.375 FreeChex III's on Broker a while back.

cool, didn't know they sold stuff like that, but at 27-29 dollars per thousand, I'd rather just buy them. maybe if I was shooting them out of a machine gun! lol thanks-