RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: SW 657. Anyone have one?

Boolit Master

SW 657. Anyone have one?

I just traded for a really nice 6" 657 (no dash). Unfired gun, I plan to fix that. Just wondering if there are any opinions on the 657. I've seen a good number of 57s but this is the first 657 I've run across. I probably put more into it than I should have but I've probably done worse too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RAM_1689.jpg   RAM_1690.jpg  

Had a 647 and 629 both, never shot them much and traded them to same guy for a 29-2 and a
    57 no dash both near mint. I am partial to blue guns was only reason I traded them.

Boolit Master

I've got one. I don't know the dash # off hand. Mine has the full length ejector rod shroud(underlug?). I've had it about 20 years but haven't shot it much. I've got a short attention span. Or maybe that is a short memory that has to be jogged before I remember.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

To each their own, but If I had an unfired gun, I think I would be looking for a fired gun and some cash to boot.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Buddy

Yep, got a 657 with an 8 3/8" barrel bought back in the early 90's. Have taken a lot of deer with that handgun. Reason you don't see more for sale is because these 657's are real shooters. At 100 yards off a bench I can put 6 shots on a playing card with iron sights using factory loads or handloads.

Great guns !

2shot

Boolit Grand Master

I have numerous 657s and 41 mags in general. The Smith and Wesson history book will go into all the different versions. There a several out there including PC models. 657 no dash models don't have the traditional no dash meaning, meaning pinned and recessed like the model 57s. Still, excellent guns in their own right. Happy shooting.

ADMIN

I own a 6 inch and a 3 inch.
    The 3 inch has a ported barrel and is a square butt. I converted a 6 inch to a 3 inch.
    I found the barrel on gun broker and cost me $50 to swap it.
    I plan to eventually send it off to get RB

Boolit Master
    Very nice gun...use the heck out off it. There is a sticky over on the Favorite Cast Bullet Caliber all on .41s if you have not seen it.

As to 657s, I have a 3", 4", 5" that was a 6" and a 6.5" Hunter with full underlug barrel. Also had a pair of 8 3/8" guns but sold them off as I have two in blue...

If you have not loaded for .41, try 8.0 grains of Unique with most any 200-230 grain cast or jacketed bullet. Duplicates the velocity of the original lead SWC Police loading...950 from a 4"...

Have fun...Bob

Yep a 657-4 mountain gun. It's probably my favorite out of all the firearms I own!

Moderator Emeritus

About the time when Obama moved into the White House, I swapped 7 cords of seasoned firewood (hardwood) for a stock 3" S&W 657 ...Best trade I ever made, still have it, and love it...but I do prefer my 6" mod 57 for targets and plinking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SnW 657 41 mag.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	201508

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mod 57 out of holster.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	201509
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

That was a steal Jon!

Boolit Master

I've owned many Smith .41 Mags to go with my Marlin 1894S 20", Ruger Blackhawk 6.5" and TC Contender 14". Only Smith I still have is my 4" 58. On the 657s owned two, a 6" that had a trigger job by Jim Clark in Shrevport LA back early 90s and a 6.5" Classic Hunter (first run, non fluted cylinder and full lug) Truly miss that Classic Hunter. Had El Paso Saddlery make me a custom holster for it too.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'