Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Slugs - Getting Started

Boolit Master
    you should also ck out ballistic products web site they have a great deal of shotshell/slug info I believe they even produce a softcover dedicated to slugs only

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    I took the data card that came with the mold down to my local gun shop to look for components. Found a pound of Blue Dot and a bag of WAA-12 wads, which form a "recipe" with my Federal hulls. Since the data listed is for a screamin' 1,700 fps max load, I also bought a bag of WAA-12 SL's with a longer piston midsection in the hopes of dialing things down to a low-recoil, duty load kind of level.

I cast up a couple hundred over the weekend out of what to all appearances is 40-1 from smelted slugs picked up off the berms at the outdoor range (I knew segregating my range scrap was a good idea!). I had to jury rig a repair to one of the pins that hold the blocks to the handles when it fell out mid-session (what do you expect for $28 bucks delivered?). 825F seemed to be the ideal pot temperature. .68 caliber on the nose and a tad heavy at about 443 grains. Also right at .729" when you drop them in the wads, so it appears homework was done. Shiny little buggers. . .

In a case of serendipity, a MEC 310 press landed in my lap last week. I have yet to take inventory of what parts it needs to get running again, but I figure this will become a dedicated slug press, and won't have to de-tune the other from birdshot mode. NICE!

Well Bigslug sounds like you will be working on a slug load of interesting proportions, I refer to light and heavy duty. I a few years ago decided to work on this load I came across in a older Lyman book, it was a 1-1/2 oz load for Turkey that was in 12 ga with AA hulls. I can't remember the powder amount but it was either a HS-6, or HS-7 I used the WWA12R wad and it was listed at 1400 fps, well that just sounded great and since I had a fairly new Remington 1100 it should be quite a good rip.........after the first shot I really didn't feel like pulling that trigger again let me tell you, and I use to take a 10 ga hunting for three years for ducks and geese and never had a issue with recoil and it was a break action to boot, so work your loads up careful and as long as it is accurate within 60-70 yards that would be just about perfect.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12