Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fan in window for casting

Fan in window for casting

Hello
    Just want some opinions. I put my casting workbench in my 20 by 15 workshop building right under about 20 inch by 30 window. I put the pot level with the window on a concrete block so I can see the bottom pour spout. I put a 2000 cfm fan in the window blowing outside so it sucks all the smoke and other out when I cast. Does that sound like good enough ventilation. I could put a 3500 cfm whole house exhaust fan in but that might be overkill. I do not have a hood but with that much air flow I do not think I need one? Thanks

Alfred mitchell

Interested as well

Banned
    If you see ALL the smoke being sucked out the window and don't smell anything with you sitting in the casting position I would be comfortable with the setup

Boolit Grand Master

Watch when you flux and see what the heavy smoke does. If its being pulled out and not building up then your good. Another thing that may help is to open a window behind you to allow for airflow. This helps on stopping a vacuum being created with more air going out than can come in.

I cast in about the same size building and cast about 5 ft from the window , but have a small fan in the window blowing out and have had no problems, works great for me

Boolit Master

The lead fumes are NON-EXISTANT, but 750* air will cook you from the inside out, sore throat etc. That fan, that close may well cool your melt noticeably. You might need to build a hood. Card board works fine in a pinch, with tin foil on it. You might cover some of the fan. Get another window so as to get fresh air. Play with it a bit. have fun

Boolit Master
    I've done similar for years. I currently have a small portable a/c in my shed that blows cool air on me while sucking the hot air out, like any a/c unit should do.i still pot a small fan in the window in front of me to get the fumes out.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Lol,I also purchased a portable ac to blow cool air on me as well. It's the only way to cast in alabama in the summer!
    Dogdoc

Boolit Master
    I got a pretty big vent hood at a flea market ($10) I bolted it to the rafters over my casting area in my garage, ran a duct (used dryer vent duct) to get it to the wall and outside. It worked amazingly well. I moved to a different house that has way better ventilation and haven't set it back up yet but I plan to use it again when I rebuild my work space this fall. It really worked great in my old garage.

That should work fine. You don't need a wind or even a gentle breeze. Just enough air movement to get rid of the fumes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    Lol,I also purchased a portable ac to blow cool air on me as well. It's the only way to cast in alabama in the summer!
    Dogdoc
    Where in Alabama are you?
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Most AC units only recirculate the same air/contaminants. Although some have an exhaust control, there is very little air actually exhausted. While casting produces very little harmful contaminants except when fluxing, a small fan in the window slightly above the pot is sufficient. The use of cardboard for a hood isn't recommended because of the chance of a fire hazard.
    As others have said, if you see an accumulation of smoke you need to upgrade. If none is seen, you're golden.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

That's how my bench is set up, a window fan in front of the pot pulling air out and the back door open. The only problem I have is if the wind is blowing from the north and blows back through the fan. When that happens I just stop until things settle down

Boolit Buddy

I installed a vent-a-hood over mine when I built cabinets in the casting room , works great .
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Boolit Grand Master
    As mentioned, if you want the exhaust bad air, you need to supply fresh air. Opening a window or door will do that.

I saved a stove vent hood and plan to set it up if I decide to cast in the workshop.
    Don Verna

When I converted our old single car garage into my reloading workshop we installed a range hood with 3 speed fan and lights and then plumbed it out through the wall to a flapper style dryer vent. Works great for poor weather casting indoors ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

I have a similar setup but do use a pusher fan behind me. Brings air into my reloading room and pushes toward the exhaust fan.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master

IMO I would use a kitchen stove vent fan assy( with hood)

Fasted today with 2500 cfm fan in window. All smoke was completely sucked out by fan. I could not even smell it. Had ac blowing on me from behind. Worked great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Since your room is 15x20x8(?) that's 2400 cf. Your changing the air in the room every minute. AC is gonna have trouble keeping up. Of course that depends on the size of the AC.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast