RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: Gift of hard shot, now what to do with it?

Boolit Master

Gift of hard shot, now what to do with it?

A friend gave me about 300lbs of bagged Remington "hard shot". Can someone give me an idea of what's in it? Can I use to harden up some range scrap? I assume it's useful and must have some tin it for the hardness. Stuff seems pretty darn hard. My first thought is to just melt down and put into ingots but the bags are easy to store.

Might be worth more as shot to some of the shotgun reloaders.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    I don't load shotguns and don't really know anyone else that does. Sure don't plan to ship it either.

Boolit Master
    Med Flat rate box will hold 2 bags.. you can get $35-40 a bag plus shipping..

If it's hard shot, it'll probably be 5-6% Antimony.. most shot has graphite in it to allow it to flow freely in loading machines so you'll be skimming that off if you use it to sweeten pure lead..

Boolit Master
    It will not have enough tin for good casting, at least that's been my experience with reclaim. Also seems the graphite seems to make it something of a pain to melt. I melt 25 lbs of plain lead with the shot on top then add tin and light the burner. Needs lots of stir in and flexing but makes a good alloy. Again I'm using reclaim at 20$ for 25 lbs. I would put the word out arround any skeet or trap ranges in the area. Can buy #2 ingots for what the shot will bring. Just a thought, wish I was close. We go thru 1000 lbs of shot a year in the shotguns!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Also seems the graphite seems to make it something of a pain to melt.
    That is an understatement. Doable but much easier to sell it and buy the alloy you want.

Boolit Buddy
    I will buy it from you or trade you for linotype before you melt it down please let me know, I would be willing to go pound for pound.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Banned

yeah.... Remington shot is top of the heap antimony% stuff.
    you would make a trap shooter super duper happy with a trade or by selling it to them.

Boolit Master

Make me an offer1

Quote Originally Posted by arlon View Post
    A friend gave me about 300lbs of bagged Remington "hard shot". Can someone give me an idea of what's in it? Can I use to harden up some range scrap? I assume it's useful and must have some tin it for the hardness. Stuff seems pretty darn hard. My first thought is to just melt down and put into ingots but the bags are easy to store.
    Before you melt it down, I would be willing to trade you pound for pound of pure lead or ww lead. And what size it is?

Banned
    No you can't get 35-45/ bag plus shipping as $40 is full blown retail at my local Sportsman Warehouse BUT I will give you $25/bag shipped. Two will fit in a flat rate box.

You should have 12 bags and I'll take them all. $300.00 paid by gift PayPal and you can buy the bullet casting alloy you want.

Thanks. PM me if you want to sell it.

Be a d@€n shame if that shot got melted down. That stuff is reserved for the 27 yard line.