Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
RepackboxWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: I need new .452 boolit selection help...feeding issues with current pick.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

I need new .452 boolit selection help...feeding issues with current pick.

I am ready to give up and search for a new hunting boolit for my 450 bushmaster Ruger American. I loaded up some more Lee 310's and found that the wide meplate will hit on the top of the ramp some times and then on the bottom ramp at others. I had good feeding at first when shorting the OAL and now they will not feed properly at what length I load them to. As much as I want to use this boolit I will not resort to making a single shot rifle. Too bad since I've have some decent grouping with this load.

I would assume I need a more tapered meplate to eliminate the issues I'm having. I like the Gould boolit but want a GC being I want the option of pushing my boolit hard if needed. I will be PC it.

Would a PC Gould boolit sized correctly be as accurate as a GC boolit at a 100 yards? My best group with the Lee was 1.25".

Are there any round nose GC boolit molds anyone would suggest for hunting use?

Thanks for any suggestions....

Boolit Master

I'll be watching this with interest as I have the same rifle on lay-away. Your other thread got me hooked, btw.

I have a M77 in 458WM and I use the Lee 450gnPB with PC and accuracy starts falling off when I exceed 1750fps. I don't need this speed or the recoil so I load for just over 1700fps.

My experience with PB cast in 44 and larger caliber rifles has been that they are easier to get to shoot accurately than the smaller calibers.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

[QUOTE=blikseme300;4119729]I'll be watching this with interest as I have the same rifle on lay-away. Your other thread got me hooked, btw.

First time inspected my rifle was today after my shooting session. My action screws vibrated loose enough that I could move my action up and down. I'm sure it robbed me of some tighter grouping!

I believe I solved my feeding issue with help from a helpful member.

I did increase my overall length to 2.055" to line up my lower crimp groove with the case mouth so after taper crimping to .474" I also was able to roll crimp it into the lower boolit's crimp groove. Well, the light roll crimp caused the feeding issues.

I just cycled a magazine of the "tapered only" loads at 2.055" and they fed flawlessly. Knock on wood!

I would assume there was just enough bulge caused by the crimp groove to either get caught on the feeding ramp or it deflected kicking up to the top of the action???
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 08-07-2017 at 04:22 PM.