Load DataInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading

Thread: Savage 340 in 222

Boolit Grand Master

Savage 340 in 222

Yeah, yeah, I know, worthless without pics. Later

Picked up one of these at the show in Denver, over the weekend. Someone had refinished the stock and didn't do the best of jobs, but not horrible. Bore spotless, rest of gun doesn't look like it has been shot much. Scope mount and 4x steel tube Weaver topped it off.

Good deal, I couln't resist

Anyone shoot one of these? thinking of rechambering it to 223. Heard 222 was better for cast than 223. But, I already have one in 223. Really would like it in 6.5 or 7mm tcu!!

I had one decades ago and it was a superb shooter.

Moderator Emeritus

I had a 340 series D in 222 and a 340 series E in 223.
    The 222 had a different twist rate than the 223.
    I don't know why you want to rechamber a 222 to a 223? but I guess everyone has their reasons for doing things?
    I didn't like the trigger on either gun, but the series E was better than the series D.
    I sold both guns and got a CZ in 222...mostly because of wanting a better trigger.

edit: I also had some magazine issues with both Savages.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Anyone shoot one of these? thinking of rechambering it to 223.
    I'm sorry, but I think that is just dumb! The .223 is an ok cartridge but the .222 is an outstanding cartridge. If you don't want it, sell it here, turn a profit, and buy a new Savage, or whatever, in .223
    USMC 6638

Boolit Buddy

I had one of these back in the 70s , is a great gun , and the only problem was that every now and then the extractor would not work and I would have to use a cleaning rod to get the casing out . So if I was you I would take a rod to the range with you so if this happens It wont ruin you trip to the range. This problem didnt happen real often but it DID, other than that they are a great little guns . You also might want to try a 223 in the mag and make sure that its not too long. Its been too long since I had one but thats my experience.
    I like 1911's and Wheel Guns , Wood Stocks and Blue Metal , Dislike Black on Black and Magazines on Rifles whats this country coming to.
    Amateur Radio Station -KB5SMG- since 1994 Call sign change as of 8-15-17 WB5MG *** My Station now consist of a new * Icom 7300 * along with a new * Ameritron AL-80B Amp * and various other goodies. * Alinco DX70T * HF radio in my truck I can Be emailed at rockinpmanager@gmail.com

Moderator Emeritus

I have a E 22 as well with the same occasional extractor issues. Mine is a great shooter that gives up maybe 150 fps over a 223. I believe with the longer neck and slow twist you see the reasons why.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

I'm working with one now, bought it to shoot only cast which the .222 has some distinct advantages over the .223. Haven't gotte mine to shoot very well yet, but haven't worked a lot with it.

I also have a .30-30 one and a Stevens 322 in .22 Hornet which are both good shooters with cast.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Mine runs the NOE 225-55 over 2600 fps into 2" on 19.0 H322 . And every thing in a 50 gr SP from Hornady ,FC, RP and Privi Partizan under an inch at 100 as an untouched factory rifle with a 3-9 x 25 ......western field scope on it .

I'll lend you the reamer if you'll send me the 222 magazine (s) , but I don't know what more you would get other than out of buying another set of dies .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Banned
    i had a savage 340 in 222 and it was custom stocked. i believe it was maple. i shot that thing many, many, many times(did i say many?). i would do 5 shots well under a 1" at 100 yards, i also believe they were 50gr hornady sp with a charge of h322? the trigger was a piece of poop, but i learned to live with it. when the barrel went(i did over 5000-6000 shots, i don't know what the other guy did) i switch over to rem m700 in 223. i should have just gotten a 222 barrel and put it on the savage.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have dies and brass, so probably play with it with cast before I decide to keep it or part with it. If its anything like my 223, it will go under an inch@100yds

Super Moderator

.............Don't know why you'd want to change cartridges, but Numrich has'em:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...s/340-late-mdl

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    I think it would be a huge mistake to rechamber a .222 to .223. In fact I have a .223 Savage I was seriously thinking of rebarreling to .222!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    I have dies and brass, so probably play with it with cast before I decide to keep it or part with it. If its anything like my 223, it will go under an inch@100yds
    The .222 is a benchrest cartridge. It is easily capable of 1/4" from a good barrel.
    USMC 6638

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tdoyka View Post
    i had a savage 340 in 222 and it was custom stocked. i believe it was maple. i shot that thing many, many, many times(did i say many?). i would do 5 shots well under a 1" at 100 yards, i also believe they were 50gr hornady sp with a charge of h322? the trigger was a piece of poop, but i learned to live with it. when the barrel went(i did over 5000-6000 shots, i don't know what the other guy did) i switch over to rem m700 in 223. i should have just gotten a 222 barrel and put it on the savage.
    I would think a shot out 340 in .222 would be an excellent candidate for a conversion to .300 Blackout. Couldn't be that hard.

Boolit Bub

Not a 222, but I picked up a Savage 340, I believe E, in 22 Hornet two years ago. I haven't shot it a lot yet, but what I have done I'm very content with. It came with an older weaver fixed 8x, with the side mount bracket. The trigger is not very good compared to today's triggers but it does the job. As is, the gun shoots better than I do. If I could swap out the trigger for a better trigger and update the glass I imagine it would be something. On the other hand, I like the era specific scope and trigger. Part of me just likes shooting weapons as they were made at the time. I'll probably leave it as is and just enjoy it for what it is. The ground hogs around my place don't seem to mind the older scope or trigger.