Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WC-872 & Uniflow Measurer...

Boolit Master

Question WC-872 & Uniflow Measurer...

I am metering this powder through an RCBS Uniflow. It meters perfectly and the drum in the Uniflow turns without any resistance at all…

BUT, in a couple of days, the drum is nearly locked in place. It will turn with a bit of pressure on the handle, but it drags during the entire reloading process. It never loosens up. I have to tear it apart and rub the drum and the inside of the frame with steel wool, add a coat of powdered graphite, reassembly and all works smoothly again…

NO, there is no powder between the drum and the frame of the Uniflow…

Is there some type of coating on that powder that makes it form some type of residue that ends up on the drum and makes it difficult to turn?...

Thanks…BCB

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Strange, I've never had any problems with it.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I use the following WC- powders—872, 860, 852, 844, 820, and 680 and I don’t have trouble with any of them, although the WC-820 is fine enough that it gave me problems in a Lee powder measurer unless I kept the drum tight and then it made it a bit difficult to easily throw charges…

Don’t know what the problem could be either. It does seem to have a bit different smell than the other powders…

Thanks…BCB

I have had a problem with cutting powder while using Unique. Switched to the small drum and have not had the problem since. Never had the problem you are having. You may want to contact RCBS.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a RCBS Uniflow and have used WC872 for years, never had a problem at all.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

I cleaned the drum again yesterday and loaded some rounds this morning with the WC-872. The measurer works smoothly as can be expected…

One thing I did notice and have in the past is the amount of dust that is created when the powder is dumped into the hopper…

I suspect whatever this is might be the culprit that is building up on the drum and causing it to move with resistance…

Anyone else’s WC-872 produce dust when dumped into the hopper?...

Thanks…BCB

Boolit Buddy
    I've had the same problem as the OP but I don't recall what powder it was. It may have been WC-872 as I remember reloading with it at the time.

Real pain in the neck, had to take the powder measure apart a few times and clean everything up. Dry lubed it when I was done and had the same problem about 50 rounds later. Haven't had the problem since.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lavenatti View Post
    I've had the same problem as the OP but I don't recall what powder it was. It may have been WC-872 as I remember reloading with it at the time.

Real pain in the neck, had to take the powder measure apart a few times and clean everything up. Dry lubed it when I was done and had the same problem about 50 rounds later. Haven't had the problem since.
    EXACTLY THE SAME SITUATION...

You said you haven't had the problem since--Is that because you don't load with WC-872 anymore?...

Glad I'm not alone with this issue...

Thanks...BCB

Same problem here! Even rusted the drum on mine.

Boolit Master
    I have had the same thing happen with Trailboss.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lavenatti View Post

EXACTLY THE SAME SITUATION...

You said you haven't had the problem since--Is that because you don't load with WC-872 anymore?...

Glad I'm not alone with this issue...

Thanks...BCB
    Haven't used it since. Certainly will use it again since I have a bunch of it but I may use a dipper next time if the same problem occurs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Faret View Post
    Same problem here! Even rusted the drum on mine.
    I also noted the very light rust after no usage of the Uniflow for a couple of weeks after metering the WC-872. It was extremely light and could be removed by simply rubbing my finger on it…

Very light rubbing with fine steel wool made the drum look new…

My jug of WC-872 has no lot number on it but it came from McDonald earlier this year…

Interesting situation, but it seems others have experienced the same thing…

Good-luck…BCB

Boolit Mold
    I had a similar issue with some WC860 powder. This powder was indicated as pulldown, and not new. My conclusion was that during the demil process, the powder probably had been exposed to high humidity and had absorbed some moisture that ultimately caused the rusting situation. I also noticed that their were some clumps of powder, but broke up very easily, but had no evidence of any contamination. Have used quite a bit of WC860, but had problem only with this one particular lot number. All powders do have a very small percentage of moisture, but if excessive, can cause rusting in powder measures.
    Last edited by giddy; 08-11-2017 at 12:19 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by giddy View Post
    I had a similar issue with some WC860 powder. This powder was indicated as pulldown, and not new. My conclusion was that during the demil process, the powder probably had been exposed to high humidity and had absorbed some moisture that ultimately caused the rusting situation. I also noticed that their were some clumps of powder, but broke up very easily, but had no evidence of any contamination. Have used quite a bit of WC860, but had problem only with this one particular lot number. All powders do have a very small percentage of moisture, but if excessive, can cause rusting in powder measures.
    Interesting as I also noted a clump or two in my WC-872. As you said, when it was touched it fell apart. I wonder about this also, but never had a problem with it. Maybe be a bit higher moisture content as you mentioned...

It appears this "problem" has been documented by others...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master

A pic of the drum after it set unused for only 3 days...
    (Sorry for the quality)

I take it apart, which is a hassle since I am using the Mic Adjustment. I have to tap the drum with a wooden rod to get it out, rub it lightly with steel wool, put it back together and all is well again...

I may have to use my Lee Powder Measurer as I think it might be all plastic. Maybe I won't have this problem with it. It's more than accurate enough to measure the 49.0 grains of WC-872...

Sure do like that WC-872, but it has become a slight burden. I might try some WC-860 as I never had problems with it. It is about a grain faster though...

Good-luck...BCB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 081817071111.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

That lot of 872 must be acidic, can't really tell from picture but looks like most of the bluing is gone from the drum? Maybe if it was polished up and re-blued the problem would go away, maybe?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    That lot of 872 must be acidic, can't really tell from picture but looks like most of the bluing is gone from the drum? Maybe if it was polished up and re-blued the problem would go away, maybe?
    Actually, when I lightly buff the drum with steel wool, the blue color comes back and it looks almost like a new piece...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Grand Master

BCB maybe give it a coat of some good wax?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    BCB maybe give it a coat of some good wax?
    Good idea. I never gave that a thought. I do have some pretty good insulator liquid wax. Might be worth the effort...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Mold
    BCB - I think you have a "bad" lot of WC872. Is your lot from pulldown? If you like WC872, I'd try a different lot number, or perhaps try WC870 or WC860. All of these have very similar burn rates. Pulldown powders occasionally get exposed to environmental contamination, and I believe the moisture content of your lot number is excessive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast