Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4" S&W Model 15, Lots of questions......

Boolit Grand Master
    I am very fond of neoprene replacement or OEM grips on my carry guns. They possibly saved my life one fine evening when a client elected to relieve me of my sidearm by grasping and pulling aside the outer half of my issued Bianchi breakfront duty holster. I got my right/strong-side hand around the grip before he could, and my left knee to his solar plexus disincentivized him from further silliness. First day of use of that nice, new holster--and he destroyed it. Sprung the rentention system completely. I had the old former holster still inside my locker, so after lodging my miscreant in the Graybar Hilton I re-fit the old scabbard onto the Sam Browne and kept on using it until we shifted to bottom-feeders from the roller-guns in 1987. And I still have that old scabbard. I still use Hogue and Pachmayr neoprene aftermarket grips, too.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Banned
    oldhenry,

By 1972, when I bought a Model 15, GEORGE F CAKE COMPANY in Dallas charged me 103.oo for a 4" revolver. = That was the price for sworn peace officers only, btw.
    (By the time that I bought a Model 15 for duty carry, the stainless steel Model 67 was 133.oo. Also, by that time the Model 15/67 was available in 2" & 4".)

yours, tex

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Henry, I'm digging that old vertical twin motorcycle from your avatar !
    Thanks,
    Actually it's a single: 500cc. It's a '79 Yamaha SR500 that I attempted to convert into a Brit style roadster. It's similar to a BSA Gold Star except it's easy to crank & the headlamp works..........Oh!.....it also doesn't leak oil.

I'm addicted to 500 singles (I have 2 more SR500.....they're '78 models). I'm now in the final stages of a Honda GB500 restoration.

Henry
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    A real sport involves either gasoline or gunpowder.......everything else is just a game

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    In 61 $79 was serious coin.
    Especially if you're making $50.00 a week.

Moderator Emeritus

There are no flies on a good wadcutter and 3.0 gr of Bullseye either. As far as removing the bevels i would save my money for a NOE or Accurate mold. There is a large difference in quality, IMO.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    Thanks,
    Actually it's a single: 500cc. It's a '79 Yamaha SR500 that I attempted to convert into a Brit style roadster. It's similar to a BSA Gold Star except it's easy to crank & the headlamp works..........Oh!.....it also doesn't leak oil.

I'm addicted to 500 singles (I have 2 more SR500.....they're '78 models). I'm now in the final stages of a Honda GB500 restoration.

Henry
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    A real sport involves either gasoline or gunpowder.......everything else is just a game
    Ah, I could only see one side and assumed it was a twin. Fun ride. Light, nimble and quick.

And - "A real sport involves either gasoline or gunpowder......everything else is just a game" ; Seems like that should be my tagline
    signed - Petrol & Powder

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Ah, I could only see one side and assumed it was a twin. Fun ride. Light, nimble and quick.

And - "A real sport involves either gasoline or gunpowder......everything else is just a game" ; Seems like that should be my tagline
    signed - Petrol & Powder
    Actually that tag line was originally "stolen' from E. Hemingway: the difference being that E.H. held out bull fighting & auto racing as the only real sport. I borrowed it from my target pulling partner @ Ft. Benning. Like me he shot NRA High Power & rode a bike. He was quite a character (also a Master Class shooter):.......we referred to him as the poet laureate of Easley Range.

Regards,
    Henry

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnfolk75 View Post
    For the last 40 or so years, my go-to load for 4" K Frames has been 5.0 grains of Unique under a 158 grain LSWC using CCI-500 P-primers. I bump up to 5.5/5.8 when I want more power, has worked well for me for many 1,000's of rounds
    This^^^^^

Boolit Grand Master
    Yessir. 5.0 grains of Unique under #358477 or #358429 does some fine work. The heavier "429" bullet might be edging things toward the "+P" scale a bit, but a post-war K-frame or Official Police can absorb them without strain. The 429/5.0 load is the pet load for my 1949 Colt OMT x 6", and it accounts for LOTS of varmints. It does almost as well from an early 60s Model 10 x 5", a service-grade wheelgun with the nicest factory action on a S&W product I have ever run.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I've owned 3 Combat Masterpieces- raising kids sent the first two away but I still have one and my wife has the stainless version. You can't convince me that ANY other revolver is better. It's kind of amusing- she has Magna grips on hers and I have old HE grips on mine and we both like what we have. Her hands are 2/3 the size of mine. She prefers 158 swcs at 800 fps and nothing else; I'm flavor of the week guy- 105 swc @1000 fps at present.
    Best, Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    For about as long as I've been involved with firearms, I've had some type of S&W K-frame. There's just something incredible about that design. A 3" -4" K-frame chambered in 38 Special is a remarked tool.

Boolit Grand Master
    back when I was transitioning from short to long pants, they used to call that Model 15 the "Combat Masterpiece." I believe they were not lying. I've had three over the years, but am amazed at present to find that my safe is lacking a representative sample, though I do have a pair of M-14"s. You can spend more and you might spend less, but you are hard pressed to buy better. If I was restricted to a single handgun, an M-15 would do me just fine.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I have a Model 15, Model 14, and a Model 67 and they are absolutely amazing guns. To me in a .38 sp they are absolute perfection. I shoot all three all the time and all they do is make me smile and look like a much better shot than I really am.

I've only got one 15, had it for 40yrs, shoot cast 158 RN/ 5.5gr Unique, not +P but juicy. The gun
    loves this load or I would back her down some. I have small hands and S&W Targets are two big
    for me for one hand shooting. I went T-Grip route which was better, but went to Herret and Sile
    grips that aren't as thick a S&W but have about the same contor for filling out behind trigger guard. For K frame S&W there is many grip options as well as holsters. So happens I have a
    El Paso - 3person that I like very much when carrying gun on right side. I like to carry pistols hi
    on my Left side. It keeps it out of the way and is easy to reach. I like trigger exposed and open
    slot for back sight, also thumb break. Nobody sold one so I modified a plain thumb break with a
    Exacto knife. Put a wooden dowel in hi speed grinder and burnished the cut edges, cut no stitches
    so it looks factory. My finger is on trigger and thumb on snap when I reach for it, no chance of
    fumble. It's a DA revolver it's not going off unless you pull the trigger, I never shoot DA anyway.
    For CCW the pancake type is probably the best.

Banned

give the lee 105 a try. its been accurate in all my k frames.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    give the lee 105 a try. its been accurate in all my k frames.
    I'm using that bullet now. I bought the mould here on S&S and I'm very happy with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Hello, If I read correctly or Lyman drops to small? Bump up to Lyman #2 or powder coat and you can add .002 to the diameter. Just a thought.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12