Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Miha's MP 432-256 PB HP 2 cav mold

Boolit Buddy

Miha's MP 432-256 PB HP 2 cav mold

Awaiting arrival of the above mentioned mold and was wondering if any members had a favorite load for this bullet. Will be using in a Ruger New Model FlatTop 44 Special 5.5 barrel. Mold description gave an approx weight of 260gr in the solid version. Would I be okay with the normal load data or would I need to drop my charges. I shoot mostly book loads with the exception of 7.5 grs Unique load and I have had extremely good luck with 15grs of 2400 both of which was under the Lyman 429421 bullet which turned out to be approx 252 - 255gs depending on alloy/alloy temp etc. Thanks for any suggestions/recommendations.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use the data for the 429-421 with no problems, which is what you would expect given that these boolits are supposed to be the based on the same design. They don't call them clones for nothing. This is one of the comparatively few instances where you have access to tested data that is specific to your boolit. I use the deep round HP mostly over 7.5 grains of Unique W/ excellent results.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks rintinglen. That's what I was looking for, info and personal experience. I plan on using mainly the solid bullet but like the idea of casting hps as well, just got to perfect me a good alloy. Living in Alabama, we really don't have any legal game animals that the 44spec can't handle. Out of curiosity, what is your alloy for the hps and what gun do you shoot them from?

Boolit Grand Master
    My alloy is soft, about 8, when I can manage it, but COWWs + 2% tin work as well when you run them up around 950 fps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pistols 002.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	201469
    The 5 inch S&W and the Ruger Flattop get most of the use. The Ruger is brag-worthy, it is so accurate. It is by a considerable margin the most accurate 44 special I have ever owned. I have had several others besides these, including a 624, a Model 24, A 3rd Generation Colt, a Charter arms, and an Italian. To be honest, none of them ever did much for me. I suppose that my expectations based on Skeeter Skelton and Elmer Keith stories were high, but I think you are far more likely to find a good 38 Special, 357 or 44 Magnum than you were a good 44 special.

However, the Ruger made me realize what a wonderful thing a good 44 could be.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 08-17-2017 at 01:32 AM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    rintinglen,
    Got my new MP H&G 503 clone and cast up a tad over 100 keepers first time out. I was rushed for time and did not properly preheat mold but it eventually came around. Cast out at 9bhn, ,432dia and weighing 258grs. Haven't gotten around to lubing and sizing any yet as we are still having triple digit heat indices in my neck of Alabama.
    Question if you don't mind; do you have a good load for the 44spec Flattop using HS6? Was over at Georgia Arms today and that was about the only powder they had other than what I already have. Will be sizing to 430 and using the full weight solid bullet for smallish (100 -160 lb) southern whitetail. Thanks for any suggestions/recommendations.

Boolit Grand Master
    Although many use HS-6 and smile, the only time I tried it I got what I considered to be substandard accuracy. I mostly use the Skeeter load of 7.5 grains of Unique, or else 15 grains of 2400.
    Hodgdon lists 6.5 to 8.0 grains HS6 with a 240 grain cast LSWC boolit. So, based on my previous experience, I'd start at 7.0 and work up from there. I had no joy with the start loads.
    For just shooting, as opposed to hunting, try 6.9 grains of Unique or 5.5 grains of Red Dot. Both are extremely accurate. Try one of the liquid lubes and a Lee push through sizer.Sit in front of the fan and relax in the shade while you do so...