MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Magnet - Wheel Weight Clips

Boolit Master

Magnet - Wheel Weight Clips

Never done it before in all the time melting lead in a pot (since about 1998). I have always used a slotted spoon and just dredged out the clips and dross after fluxing. I tried it today and it worked very well. It is a Craftsman telescoping type magnet that is very strong. The only disadvantage I saw was that sometimes the clips would smack together when the magnet made contact and it would fling dross and lead spatter. I was wearing eye pro and pants, gloves, lace up shoes etc. so I was squared away. I then skimmed off the rust and dross with the spoon and poured out my ingots.

It has been over 2 years since I cast and smelted wheel weights so it was nice to start building up my stores again.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I use an old speaker magnet screwed to a stick.

Don't think I would use it to get the clips out of the melted lead. As mentioned, I can see a lot of hot lead flying around. I do use a strong Harbor Freight magnet to remove the steel jackets from the copper and brass before recycling.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I have always used a magnet on a 3 ' stick to pull ww clips from my lead pot, I just tap the stick on the edge of the pot and this shakes most of the lead off the clips.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I have always used a magnet on a 3 ' stick to pull ww clips from my lead pot, I just tap the stick on the edge of the pot and this shakes most of the lead off the clips.
    That was another thing I noticed....I nice little rap on the pot edge and all the little globs of lead holding on let go.

Boolit Grand Master

If ya use the quick release magnets from HF and Northern, better be quick around the melt, because the body of the magnet is plastic.
    Don't ask how I found out. At least they are cheap.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    I have always used a speaker magnet held by a large vice grip to get the clips out of COWW for at least the last 30 years.

Boolit Master
    That couple of "Little taps" on the side of the pot with a pair of needle nosed pliers is my method. Spoon with holes for the lifting & grabbing. I do not want to have any molten lead anywhere but in the pot, so no taking a chance with a magnet for me. "Better safe than sorry.", for me, I reckon...

G'Luck to those that use them or try them...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

In Remembrance

I`ve been doing the magnet clip removal system for over 40 years. I use a 1" dia. X 7" long bar magnet rod. I`ve mentioned this method here on the site several times, glad to know other casters use this method of clip removal.Robert

Boolit Master

I have heard it preached for years and have read here about folks doing it as well. I was straining the clips and dross out yesterday and I looked over at my tool box and thought "hmmm let me get the magnet out".....

I also have some quite old speakers that I can sacrifice for their magnetic properties.

Boolit Master
    huh, I honestly would not have thought to do that, good tip. I did the slotted spoon and tap it against the side to free up any sticking.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Moderator Emeritus

Dead microwave ovens also have a very strong magnet on the magnetron. Bit of a pain to remove though!

Boolit Grand Master

I never thought of using a magnet. I've always used a slotted spoon.

Boolit Master
    I started out with an 8" wire mesh wok strainer. Skims the entire pot in one or two passes. A magnet would work but it would be slower.

Boolit Master

Just don't let the magnet get too hot, or it will lose it's magnetic properties.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Banned
    JWT,

An all metal wok strainer is what I use. - I cannot see a good reason to use a magnet for such a easy task, even IF you aren't concerned about splattering hot lead.

yours, tex

I use a big magnet out of a speaker the only thing that I do different is I put a piece of flat metal on the bottom of the magnet I hold that with pliers and drop the hot clips into a bucket of water to cool them and my magnet has a T handle wielded on it this work great for me D Crockett