MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Range Bit Driver Recommendations?

Boolit Master

Range Bit Driver Recommendations?

Hi Guys and gals

I'm looking for a decent bit driver set for the range bag.
    I've seen plenty of sets at the local lower and home depot but they usually have ratcheting handles or they're super basic with just flat and phillips head bits.
    Any suggestions on a good set or at least a good handle? Then I can always add a decent bit set from one of the lowes or home depot type stores.
    Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Leave the screwchiselprybars in the tool box with automotive type tools. Buy a set of good hollow ground screw drivers for gun work. They have become more affordable than in years past. Midway and Brownells has several sets.
    Jeff

Boolit Master

I have a nice set of grace drivers.
    I'm talking about something for a quick fix at the range more for the allen/torx type drivers bits. Or when things go bad with a lever gun double feed and you need to pull off the lever. I know they're not the best but with one of the bit sets you can usually get the job done. They are almost always hollow ground and the big draw back is that they're pretty soft and don't hold up to much use. I just need a fix for those little issues.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive used the chapman sets at the range in the house and a set in the tool pouch at work. They have a lot of bits and a extension, screwdriver handle and ratcheting wrench handle all in one case there are allens drivers torx drivers and screw drivers in assorted sizes. Also the brownels 1/4" hex bits will work with them also.

Boolit Master
    I have had a Wheeler 72 piece set now for years. It is a great set and has several thin blades to tighten screws like the one that holds the hammer on a percussion rifle and very small and thin ones for things like the lock screw for a Unertl scope. They are all hollow ground so they do not bugger the screw head. Best of all if one breaks they'll send a replacement (twice for me)!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Thanks guys!!

I think the magna tip is what I'm looking for!

For just a cheapy set, I got a cheap winchester set for like 12 bucks at the local gunstore. It is pretty decent though for basic stuff. Before my house burnt down, I had a pachmayr set that was also cheap, but it was pretty decent too. Id really like a brownells magnatip set, and the starter set is only bout 50 bucks. Pretty reasonable I think.

Boolit Master
    For the range bag,,, the Chapman set is good. For the bench,,, Spend more. The range bag is an emergency type set.